Shows like Discovery of Witches?

Calibandar

1 minute ago, Lord Sidious said:

I think maybe my point didn’t come across quite as I intended, I didn’t really mean it merely from a physical age/attraction standpoint as much- it someone is immortal and in their 20s/30s then dating someone who appears a similar age would be pretty normal in my opinion.

I guess I meant more that if someone was 1500 years old they’d have seen so much and have such a different outlook on life having had so much life experience that they’d surely find most humans-especially current ones in thier late teens,20s or 30s very infantile and childish.

I’m 30 now, and feel I have a very different outlook on things than when I was 18.

If I were a 1500 year old vampire, in all honesty I’d probably only want a relationship with another vampire, although I’d probably be ok with a few centuries age gap, I’m not that conservative :P.

the great granddaughter thing was more an aside on media use than directed at you, sorry.

I completely agree with you on how something so old would probably tire at associating with mortals or be burned from losing too many of them over the centuries. Hanging out with other vampires makes sense - unless they are all so jaded you can't tolerate their company either.

I guess my point is the vampires we've seen in the show (and elsewhere) don't really behave that differently from everyday humans - even if we both agree they probably should.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

the great granddaughter thing was more an aside on media use than directed at you, sorry.

I completely agree with you on how something so old would probably tire at associating with mortals or be burned from losing too many of them over the centuries. Hanging out with other vampires makes sense - unless they are all so jaded you can't tolerate their company either.

I guess my point is the vampires we've seen in the show (and elsewhere) don't really behave that differently from everyday humans - even if we both agree they probably should.

Yes I completely agree with you, they do seem  to behave the same as most people do, all be it probably displaying more of our negative traits more regularly!.

To be fair I can understand that, after being alive(or unalive) for that long I think you’d have to either adapt to things by ending up either a raging misanthrope or a raging psychopath.

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

Yes I completely agree with you, they do seem  to behave the same as most people do, all be it probably displaying more of our negative traits more regularly!.

To be fair I can understand that, after being alive(or unalive) for that long I think you’d have to either adapt to things by ending up either a raging misanthrope or a raging psychopath.

It could be a survival instinct to have a personality that is very "young human" like. The others would probably have been hunted down pretty quickly by the humans. 

Discovery of Witches has been green-lighted for two more seasons:

https://deadline.com/2018/11/discovery-of-witches-seasons-two-three-1202494639/

... “We were absolutely thrilled that A Discovery of Witches was such a hit with viewers.  There was a real sense of community throughout the run as fans old and new joined together to watch each week.  We cannot wait to continue the journey with them and, as the show continues to sell around the world, bring a global fanbase to these engaging and fascinating characters.”

By the way, in connection with the above discussion about the nature of such long-surviving creatures as vampires, in the new book, Time's Convert, two of the sequences are about the next generation. 

Spoiler

We see the 'siring' of a young woman (23 years old) as vampire and her extended education and integration of vampire-hood.

The second sequence is about this:

Spoiler

Diana's twins are Brights, with the traits to greater or lesser degree, it seems of all the creatures, including vampirehood. As they are infants when the book begins, education of them into magic and all the other aspects of the creature-hood, and their families learning what they can or cannot do, is another sequence.

The third, historical sequence, is the North American colonial war of independence.

7 hours ago, red snow said:

It must have done well in the ratings to get two more seasons

Skye says the series had many enthusiastic viewers throughout Europe, as the books had many enthusiastic readers.

• 2 months later...

Article / interview with Deborah Harkness in today's NY Times Books section about Discovery of Witches television series, which debuted in the US last night on the Sundance Now - Shudder Channel:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/books/deborah-harkness-discovery-of-witches-all-souls-trilogy.html

The author said that her books do not cleave to the conventions of genre fiction. Rather, she sees her writing in the vein of J.K. Rowling’s: “What is the book you pick up when you’re done with Harry Potter? I’d like to think you’d pick up a big set of chunky books like All Souls, which similarly talks about real issues, but issues facing adults, not teenagers.”

Interesting to me is that the story of Matthew and Diana is essentially finished, though she is drafting novels that feature Matthew.  But principally she's now following the story his son, Galloglass, as we saw in the fourth volume, Time's Convert.

• 3 weeks later...

I just binge watched all 8 episodes this weekend.  :lol:

I enjoyed it, but like always, the books are better ;)  There is so much more detail, especially about the alchemical art that is a big part of the story that is left out of the tv show (I know, I know).  They do add just (barely) enough to keep the watcher from getting completely lost.  (but really, the science, art and alchemy were some of my favorite parts of the book)

As far as the books go, I like the first one best, followed closely by the second one, and the 3rd one least (but it was still ok).  I didn't know there was a 4th book.  I'll have to look for it.

And I need to cancel my Sundance subscription before my 7 days free trial is up.

Finished watching the last few episodes.

Very enjoyable and I will definitely watch season 2. Shame about the massive cliffhanger ending.

One question: Why do they never show the daemons do anything? Is that the same in the book? We see what powers Witches have. To a lesser extent but still clearly there, we see what vampires can do, But we have several Daemon characters and not once in 8 episodes do they show anything except looking and behaving human. Very strange. What can daemons actually do in this world that separates them from mankind ( book wise)?

I can't remember if they had any active powers, but they did tend to be geniuses (not just in things like science, math and economics like some of those in the show, but also artists, musicians, actors and such), and  walked that fine line between geniuses and madness (not always successfully-only thing I heard mentioned in the show was the suicide rate had gown way up recently)

I've started the new book, but feel like I need to re-read the last one.

• 1 month later...

I bring this up without comment, other than if the author wishes to discuss 'genteel, supernatural smut,' and will describe such as

a dynamic that I can only describe as sexy-sexy sex

why was Outlander et al. not included, hmmmmmmm? :laugh: :dunno:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/04/amcs-a-discovery-of-witches/586648/

On 10/23/2018 at 5:22 AM, Calibandar said:

Angel and Supernatural to me felt very teen-focused.   a bit too campy.

Wants vampires but not camp.  Hmmmmmm. 

So.  Those serious vampires, then, is who we're looking for.  The ones who take themselves seriously enough to act with dignity and a mature demeanor, which in turn demands the respect of the home viewer.

Yeah.....

I was so tempted to suggest What We Do In The Shadows and then blissfully await your reaction of, "I've been had!  That wasn't less silly, it was hyper ultra silly!"

Um.....    good luck with the search!   

I was able to enjoy the central mystery of Legacies this season but it's another youth dialogue CW deal spun off from Diaries.

For shakespearean-scripted vampires who had lots of serious mythos on their plate including meddlesome oversoul entities and time travel tragedies, there's youtube video game clip compilations of Soul Reaver 1 & 2, and Defiance if anyone then wants the conclusion.  That story-driven vampire world of Nosgoth provided the most engrossing vampire drama I ran into as a gamer.   Not so much of a romance, though.

On 10/30/2018 at 12:41 AM, red snow said:

The problem with many vampire shows/stories is they tend to go for people (usually women) who are still at school which is creepy (and often illegal) irrespective of how old you are never mind being immortal or not. 

Yes!   Eh, possible explanation?  Hollywood celebs are obsessed with dating other celebrities--unnecessarily, since they already have that in their own life.  But what they've really always loved is......fame.  So they date it.  Maybe some vampires are unnecessarily obsessed with youth in that way.

Episode 1 was a great travelogue.   Then it became Library the Show.   The magic mystery is why I stayed.  

It would be a neat adult-ish vampire story to find them as world leaders & power players intent on keeping mankind alive forever (because they'll need to feed off us forever, so it'd be prudent that they take over as our secret parent species since if left to ourselves we seem so intent on our own destruction).

Archived