the mad Cersei's plan to kill Trystane

rotting sea cow

On 10/10/2018 at 5:56 AM, Rufus Snow said:

1) He's loyal to whoever rewards him, that's pretty much the first thing he told Tyrion, that's his whole character arc - when the gold stops, so does the service

2) He only needs to understand what Cersei might offer, the politics don't interest him at all - most of his storyline to date has had him sailing against the wind. Remember when Tyrion asked if Bronn would kill a baby without question? He said 'No, I'd ask how much'. That is the measure of Bronn's loyalty, ethics, and willingness to do the dirty jobs.

3) She did - but does Bronn know that?

My first thought when I read the question and Stone Crow answer was Bronn as well. He'd be ideal. But I don't think she'd trust him with it.  She's too paranoid about Tyrion coming after her and her kids, and Myrcella's life is on the line too, so I don't think she'd hire Bronn. He was Tyrion's man.  I can see her duping the Stone Crows, but can't see her letting Bronn in on the actual plan in order to direct them.

On 10/12/2018 at 8:35 AM, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Yup, I thought of that too, though again, she doesn't say what task.

It's certainly possible that there's something else going on, but I think that would be a little too much shenanigan from GRRM to pull a trick like that where there really isn't any other logical thing it could be (that's been shown to the reader). He may insert some red herrings from time to time (look at all of the Dany prophecies, including the Perfumed Seneschal), but the truth is usually there somewhere as well. I don't see any reasons why Doran would lie to his family, and I'm also not seeing any value to the concept of GRRM doing a "Gotcha!" to his readers over something trivial like this by using a whole lot of misdirection.

YMMV of course.

This has been an interesting read. I agree with Platypus Rex that Cersei has not planned this but do not think it's goading the Snakes on Dorans part. The Watcher is a chapter I've always put a lot of thought in, specifically this plot to kill Trystane. I've always suspected that the Stonecrow's would be the outlaws shouting Halfman, but have kinda been hoping they won't be because I like the Mountain Clans. I'd love to see the Stonecrows and Black Ears join Bronn's new mercenary company. 

Who is the mastermind? this plot was not mentioned at all in Cersei's chapters or Kevan's epilogue, so it can't be a Lannister scheme. Whoever planned it has influence on King's Landing politics but is working hard to keep certain characters like the Lannisters unaware of this. Not hard enough to keep Doran out though. My guess was always on the Queen of Thorns/Tyrells. This weakens the pesky Martells and takes away any chance of Myrcella usurping. 

Then Legitamete_Bastard mentioned the Brave Companions. I like the idea of these guys being the outlaws way more than the Stonecrows. Qyburn being the mastermind makes perfect sense. He could even be working with the Tyrells but I have trouble seeing that. 

Archived