The Witcher on Netflix 2: Man of steel and silver

3CityApache

On 7/19/2019 at 9:53 PM, SeanF said:

It's pretty much a Victorian myth that medieval people didn't wash.  You can find plenty of references to bathing in medieval literature and art.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:26 PM, Filippa Eilhart said:

I'm pretty sure (without actually going back to read the books) that they know about bacteria, viruses, atoms etc. They for sure know about genetics. It's a future world, not an actual medieval world.

TIL.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

Is this more a case of some scenes would be totally unacceptable if they stuck to such young ages? Because i understand why they decided to not have a 15 year Dany be assaulted by khal drogo in GOT. 

yeah, I suppose that makes sense. Also it would be hard to get a good younger actress. And there is a few years difference between when Geralt first meets her and the rest of the saga. I just find her hilarious when she's a little kid so I'm a bit sad about that.

22 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

yeah, I suppose that makes sense. Also it would be hard to get a good younger actress. And there is a few years difference between when Geralt first meets her and the rest of the saga. I just find her hilarious when she's a little kid so I'm a bit sad about that.

I guess a good compromise would have been to use a different actress if the young version scenes are one-offs or seldom revisited? 

33 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

And there is a few years difference between when Geralt first meets her and the rest of the saga. I just find her hilarious when she's a little kid so I'm a bit sad about that.

Yeah, she was cute and funny when she was just a kid. And yes, I think using a different kid actress for an episode or two in the first season when she was little, would be a good idea. Skipping these few scenes would be a mistake, they were important for creating a true bond between Ciri and Geralt.

On 7/20/2019 at 12:13 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

It's kind of odd that almost all of the dialogue is from people other than Geralt.

It looks good though, and I am really looking forward to the series.

I am fine with how Cavill looks in motion.

So Yennifer is young but deformed. Book readers will know better than me, but I thought she was meant to be old but not necessarily ugly. She's just fixated with youth. Interesting alteration if so.

In my headcannon, I always imagine Yennefer as looking like the beautiful witch in the adverts for Black Magic chocolates, walking through the snow to meet her lover.

20 minutes ago, SeanF said:

In my headcannon, I always imagine Yennefer as looking like the beautiful witch in the adverts for Black Magic chocolates, walking through the snow to meet her lover.

Must have made an impression. According to Youtube, the ad is from 1984. :D

27 minutes ago, lacuna said:

Must have made an impression. According to Youtube, the ad is from 1984. :D

Yes, I used to love that advert, and it popped into my head the moment I first encountered Yennefer in the series.

• 3 months later...

Full trailer likely to drop in the next few days during Lucca comics festival in Italy.Some new pics released by Netflix:

https://bgr.com/2019/10/25/the-witcher-set-photos-released-ahead-of-first-trailer-launch-at-lucca/

So far, the company only released a teaser trailer that definitely isn’t considered the first trailer for the series. That footage is supposed to arrive late next week, as Netflix takes the stage at the Lucca comics festival in Italy. Ahead of the event, we got to learn more details about the series from some of the main executives behind The Witcher since the embargo lifted and an Italian newspaper ran an extensive profile on the show. Separately, Netflix released several official images from The Witcher, as well as behind-the-scenes shots that reveal more details about the epic fantasy that’s about to be released.

Extensive interview reveals brand new details about Netflix’s ‘The Witcher’
https://bgr.com/2019/10/24/the-witcher-vs-game-of-thrones-what-to-expect-from-netflix-series/

The show will have a huge presence at the Lucca Comic-Con event in a few days, where Netflix will host panels and release the first official Witcher trailer. Attendees will also get to experience the Continent, a report said, which is where all the action takes place in the Witcher universe. But fans of the series don’t have to wait until then for more Witcher gossip, as the showrunner recently revealed a few juicy details about the show. This all comes from Italian newspaper Corriere Della Serra, which visited the set of The Witcher back in January and sat down with several key crew members, including showrunner Lauren Schmidt Hissrich, production designer Andrew Laws, and set decorator Naomi Moore.

The Story

“I told [Andrzej] Sapkowski that his books will always be there, the video games will always be there for anyone who wants to enjoy them; this is a third adaptation of the story,” Hissrich said. “What fascinates me is taking the characters I loved, and the stories I loved and generate a new ‘connective tissue,’ as we and the writers like to call it.”

Hissrich also explained that the way the story is constructed is meant to surprise fans who may be familiar with both the books and the video games.

“One of the extraordinary aspects of the stories is that they deepen the characters, but their origin is in the past and is often not narrated directly; it seemed like a great opportunity for storytelling,” she said. “In this sense, I would say that the series will also add something to the books by offering origin stories from an unexpected point of view.”

Similarly, the monsters will not be just special effects. “We have tried hard to restore materiality to creatures because they are a vibrant part of the story,” Laws said.

Separately, set decorator Naomi Moore explained that all the regions featured in the series will have a specific inspiration. Cintra consists of art nouveau settings, while Aretuza will mostly be gothic with Indian influences. Blaviken will have a Scandinavian theme, with Vizima taking inspiration from Asia.

This article showed up in my google feed this morning. It's pretty hilarious. The white men incels of the internet are pissed that the show isn't focusing on Geralt as the lead! They're splitting time with Geralt, Ciri, and Yen...you know...like in the books. It's a liberal scheme to bring the author's true liberal vision to the screen, and they're not having this "woke" shit anymore.

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

This article showed up in my google feed this morning. It's pretty hilarious. The white men incels of the internet are pissed that the show isn't focusing on Geralt as the lead! They're splitting time with Geralt, Ciri, and Yen...you know...like in the books. It's a liberal scheme to bring the author's true liberal vision to the screen, and they're not having this "woke" shit anymore.

Some real gems: :rofl::lmao:

The TV Show, the book and the games are called The Witcher.
People simply love Gerald more. I get it that the books tell Ciri's story but that's besides the point.

That's why I hated the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I know the books were about Frodo carrying the ring, but the REAL Lord of the Rings--Sauron? He was in the movies for like 2 seconds! I hated it! People went to see a Lord of the Rings killing stuff. It doesn't matter what was in the books. And the same for Jaws. When I saw Jaws, I was so angry at the twist midway through when I found out it was a shark and not a floating set of conscious jaws eating people.

Anyway, all this liberalism is ruining the original intent of the author!

The trailer doesn't impress me much, to be honest. While it looks like they put a lot of money in it, I'm skeptical about the quality of costumes, for one. Other production values makes me think of shows like Shannara Chronicles

So far I haven't been able to get into this universe, neither books, where I've only read a couple of short stories, nor the games, which I've only tried a bit. I don't find Geralt an interesting character, just a badass with a sword who is capable to get past challenges with ease or occasional difficulty. Lends itself well to the video game world, I suppose, but I don't know that I care to read about such a character for I don't how many books. So if the show focuses on other characters more, fine with me. 

Hopefully the writing will be good enough.

4 hours ago, Fez said:

New trailer up. Looks like there was a massive production budget; great visuals, but still can't tell if the series will actually be good.

Looks pretty good. And Cavell seems to be channeling the voice of the video game character, which I have no issues with.

58 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Ahem...that second one was me. :) 

You naughty boy riling up the MRA like that.

I note that one scene where Geralt shows some of his dry wit, though it was a little bit lame. I hope they have better one-liners for him. Delivering an interesting performance from a character who is emotionally fairly flat is going to be a challenge for Cavill. 

While the article is almost wholly BS I think there is some merit in one point, that is the marketing so far gives the impression that it's the adventures of Geralt. Bringing your LOTR comparison into it, it would be a bit like marketing LOTR as the life and times of Strider. If the show really is very balanced between Ciri, Yennefer and Geralt with them all being equal leads then I don't think the trailers have really conveyed that sense. Personally I don't care, I enjoyed playing as Ciri in TW3 and it would have been great if playing as her was a bigger part of the game (though she'd have to be less OP, she kicked arse way too easily).

It does seem like gamers expecting the TV show to be like the game being that you almost exclusively play and experience the story from Geralt's perspective. When from the start everyone involved made it plain that the TV show is only based off the books and not at all connected with the games, except that both the TV show and the games are adapting from the same source material.

Archived