The Witcher on Netflix 2: Man of steel and silver

3CityApache

35 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

wow....i completely took that seriously :P Nice one BTW.Cheers! :)

Haha, thanks. It's funny how bad the internet is that we take these things on face value (I do it all the time too).

26 minutes ago, briantw said:

The Jaws bit had me laughing.  

I just started looking at movies on my shelf and thinking about how I could purposefully misread them, tho anti-targ below makes a good point...

4 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

You naughty boy riling up the MRA like that.

I note that one scene where Geralt shows some of his dry wit, though it was a little bit lame. I hope they have better one-liners for him. Delivering an interesting performance from a character who is emotionally fairly flat is going to be a challenge for Cavill. 

While the article is almost wholly BS I think there is some merit in one point, that is the marketing so far gives the impression that it's the adventures of Geralt. Bringing your LOTR comparison into it, it would be a bit like marketing LOTR as the life and times of Strider. If the show really is very balanced between Ciri, Yennefer and Geralt with them all being equal leads then I don't think the trailers have really conveyed that sense. Personally I don't care, I enjoyed playing as Ciri in TW3 and it would have been great if playing as her was a bigger part of the game (though she'd have to be less OP, she kicked arse way too easily).

It does seem like gamers expecting the TV show to be like the game being that you almost exclusively play and experience the story from Geralt's perspective. When from the start everyone involved made it plain that the TV show is only based off the books and not at all connected with the games, except that both the TV show and the games are adapting from the same source material.

This is a fair point, and I am willfully ignoring it. When I first bought the Witcher books, I came by way of the game, so when I found out that after the first couple that Geralt becomes part of a larger group of characters, I was a bit disappointed. But Ciri and Yen primarily kept me hooked. 

9 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

You naughty boy riling up the MRA like that.

I note that one scene where Geralt shows some of his dry wit, though it was a little bit lame. I hope they have better one-liners for him. Delivering an interesting performance from a character who is emotionally fairly flat is going to be a challenge for Cavill. 

Whiners gonna whine no matter what -- unless they cry instead.  Sheesh.  As if a show that's gone to all the trouble to get what it thinks and hopes is the perfect Geralt with Cavil is going to stint his characters.  I mean -- geeze, grow up guys and learn how the business works while you're at it.  It's all in the writing and the delivery and the acting.  If the books are flat there's a lot of room for the Writers Room to improve without having to be so faithful, and room for the actor to do those lines.  Well, Imma gonna be hopeful . . . .

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

wow....i completely took that seriously :P Nice one BTW.Cheers! :)

The LOTR bit had me thinking it was a piss take, but the Jaws part totally clinched it as a monumental piss take.

I wonder, do people know that the lord of the rings is the One Ring itself, not Sauron?

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The LOTR bit had me thinking it was a piss take, but the Jaws part totally clinched it as a monumental piss take.

I wonder, do people know that the lord of the rings is the One Ring itself, not Sauron?

As I was writing it, I was thinking, "I'm pretty sure that Sauron isn't the Lord of the Ring...is it Frodo?? Sam???" Then I thought, who cares!

Just now, Simon Steele said:

As I was writing it, I was thinking, "I'm pretty sure that Sauron isn't the Lord of the Ring...is it Frodo?? Sam???" Then I thought, who cares!

Being wrong about that nerd fact makes the comment even better from a snark perspective. But it does seem no one in those comments has attempted to establish their nerd cred by correcting you, so they either don't know or don't care.

46 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

But the One Ring is Sauron, no?

27 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

But the One Ring is Sauron, no?

I guess the One Ring is a super horcrux or sorts. I wonder if JKR got the idea for horcruxes a little bit from the One Ring. It's got essence of Sauron but it's no Sauron.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Well - to get into the 'nerd' debate :D - the 'lord' of the Rings is technically whomever wields it as 'ring-lord'. But the 'Ring' is the ultimate 'master', in the end, even if Sauron had been defeated militarily but the Ring had persisted.

While I would actually say that Sauron is the ultimate “Lord of the Rings”, he is not necessarily the only one the title references and there is a sort of double entendre with the Ruling Ring itself being the ultimate 'master'. Rather, the point of the name is that each and every character is sorely tempted to make themselves “Lord”.

Tolkien writes in Letter #246:

In the 'Mirror of Galadriel', 1381, it appears that Galadriel conceived of herself as capable of wielding the Ring and supplanting the Dark Lord. If so, so also were the other guardians of the Three, especially Elrond. But this is another matter. It was part of the essential deceit of the Ring to fill minds with imaginations of supreme power. But this the Great had well considered and had rejected, as is seen in Elrond's words at the Council. Galadriel's rejection of the temptation was founded upon previous thought and resolve.

In any case Elrond or Galadriel would have proceeded in the policy now adopted by Sauron: they would have built up an empire with great and absolutely subservient generals and armies and engines of war, until they could challenge Sauron and destroy him by force. Confrontation of Sauron alone, unaided, self to self was not contemplated.

One can imagine the scene in which Gandalf, say, was placed in such a position. It would be a delicate balance. On one side the true allegiance of the Ring to Sauron; on the other superior strength because Sauron was not actually in possession, and perhaps also because he was weakened by long corruption and expenditure of will in dominating inferiors. If Gandalf proved the victor, the result would have been for Sauron the same as the destruction of the Ring; for him it would have been destroyed, taken from him for ever. But the Ring and all its works would have endured. It would have been the master in the end.

Gandalf as Ring-Lord would have been far worse than Sauron. He would have remained 'righteous', but self-righteous. He would have continued to rule and order things for 'good', and the benefit of his subjects according to his wisdom (which was and would have remained great).

-Tolkien, Letter #246

If any of the Wise should with this Ring overthrow the Lord of Mordor, using his own arts, he would then set himself on Sauron’s throne, and yet another Dark Lord would appear. And that is another reason why the Ring should be destroyed: as long as it is in the world it will be a danger even to the Wise.

For nothing is evil in the beginning. Even Sauron was not so. I fear to take the Ring to hide it. I will not take the Ring to wield it.’

‘Nor I,’ said Gandalf.

(The Lord of the Rings p.267)

As his son, Christopher Tolkien, explained in a 1992 interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkmNHP58OhU&t=891s

"And if the Ring were not destroyed, it wouldn't in the long run matter whether Sauron got it himself. As he said once Gandalf, if he had the Ring, would be far worse than Sauron...To order and coerce the world for its own good, that was one of my father's greatest fears: the coercion for good ends."

So the 'Lord' of the Ring/Rings is a person - just not necessarily always Sauron, although he is referred to in this way in the text.

In the The Council of Elrond, Glorfindel states: "[E]ven if we could [hide the Ring], soon or late the Lord of the Rings would learn of its hiding place and would bend all his power towards it."

See:

Fellowship of the Ring, Many Meetings:

‘Hurray!’ cried Pippin, springing up. ‘Here is our noble cousin! Make way for Frodo, Lord of the Ring!’
‘Hush!’ said Gandalf from the shadows at the back of the porch. ‘Evil things do not come into this valley; but all the same we should not name them. The Lord of the Ring is not Frodo, but the master of the Dark Tower of Mordor, whose power is again stretching out over the world. We are sitting in a fortress. Outside it is getting dark.’

But your equally right that Sauron's 'power' is in the One Ring...

'He only needs the One; for he made that Ring himself, it is his, and he let a great part of his own former power pass into it, so that he could rule all the others. If he recovers it, then he will command them all again, wherever they be, even the Three, and all that has been wrought with them will be laid bare, and he will be stronger than ever.'

The Fellowship of the Ring, LoTR Book 1, Ch 2, The Shadow of the Past

So swings in round-a-bouts really.

27 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So, about The Witcher...

Terribly off-topic, but I couldn't rest after it was raised  :idea:

On the trailer, there are elements I really liked (the very clear attempt at a unique aesthetic that would make people think immediately, "that's the Witcher show") and others that left me unsure, as for instance some of the dialogue seeming a little meh. Perhaps its just how lines were spliced out of context for the trailer, though. 

Overall, I'm looking forward to the show (the action scenes look well-executed, in particular) but have some concerns about the dialogue based upon the short snippets in the trailer. 

I also like that they are adhering more to the books by giving Yennefer and Ciri's arcs equal attention, as opposed to absolutely everything being about monster-hunting Geralt (as in the games). Amusing that this would have tacked some people off. 

57 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I love you fuckin nerds.

It's all relative. In some quarters you're as big a nerd as they come for having read some fantasy books and joining an internet forum dedicated to those books, and then posting in a thread in that forum about a TV show based on some other fantasy books.

AND you knew at least enough LOTR nerd lore to know to question yourself as to whether Sauron really is the Lord of the Rings.

You have wicked mad nerd cred, dude.

But that's OK. This is the age of the nerd. DnD is cool now. Sex symbols like Henry Cavill are begging to star in nerd entertainment (albeit playing a totally badass dude). And tough guys like Vin Diesel are letting their inner geek step out into the light of day. This is the best time in history to be a nerd.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It's all relative. In some quarters you're as big a nerd as they come for having read some fantasy books and joining an internet forum dedicated to those books, and then posting in a thread in that forum about a TV show based on some other fantasy books.

AND you knew at least enough LOTR nerd lore to know to question yourself as to whether Sauron really is the Lord of the Rings.

You have wicked mad nerd cred, dude.

But that's OK. This is the age of the nerd. DnD is cool now. Sex symbols like Henry Cavill are begging to star in nerd entertainment (albeit playing a totally badass dude). And tough guys like Vin Diesel are letting their inner geek step out into the light of day. This is the best time in history to be a nerd.

It's true. And through it all, this board has persisted. I hope my comment was taken in good will. You know, when my son was sick (ten years ago now) a kind person on this very board sent us a box of cartoons and books (one of them a Charlie Brown book related to his illness). Just out of the kindness of their own heart. This place is the best. 

And hearing Cavill do the Witcher voice--totally awesome. I love that he's so into this stuff too. The story of him in the middle of a gaming session and he couldn't take the call where he was being offered the role? Perfect.

the trailer looks good. I wouldn't compare the production values at all to something like Shannara chronicles. Yes, some of the costumes look a little stiff but it looks like a lot of time and money has gone into it.

The earlier trailer had more focus on one of the other leads (the one who is deformed and then changes), so I think we'll definitely see more of the others but the Witcher himself seems like a sensible character to hang the show off, particularly when a fairly recognisable genre film actor is present.

One thing the show is doing a good job of is tempting me to read some of the books and play a game. I've had the books on kindle for a while and the show, if good, might give me the push to actually read them. Witcher 3 also looks pretty tempting but I'm waiting for black friday deals on that one. Anyhow having a TV/film clearly helps shift related products.

Are the books finished or are they still ongoing?

5 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

It's true. And through it all, this board has persisted. I hope my comment was taken in good will. You know, when my son was sick (ten years ago now) a kind person on this very board sent us a box of cartoons and books (one of them a Charlie Brown book related to his illness). Just out of the kindness of their own heart. This place is the best. 

And hearing Cavill do the Witcher voice--totally awesome. I love that he's so into this stuff too. The story of him in the middle of a gaming session and he couldn't take the call where he was being offered the role? Perfect.

If we can't call each other nerd, who can we call nerd?

Archived