The Witcher on Netflix 2: Man of steel and silver

3CityApache

3 hours ago, red snow said:

the trailer looks good. I wouldn't compare the production values at all to something like Shannara chronicles. Yes, some of the costumes look a little stiff but it looks like a lot of time and money has gone into it.

The earlier trailer had more focus on one of the other leads (the one who is deformed and then changes), so I think we'll definitely see more of the others but the Witcher himself seems like a sensible character to hang the show off, particularly when a fairly recognisable genre film actor is present.

One thing the show is doing a good job of is tempting me to read some of the books and play a game. I've had the books on kindle for a while and the show, if good, might give me the push to actually read them. Witcher 3 also looks pretty tempting but I'm waiting for black friday deals on that one. Anyhow having a TV/film clearly helps shift related products.

Are the books finished or are they still ongoing?

Books are finished. 

11 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Books are finished. 

Cheers. That's always good to know regarding the tv show depending how much they decide to follow the books. Also good to know prior to starting a fairly ling series that it's complete. 

19 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Hopefully the writing will be good enough.

That's my concern. The visuals look great, but the words being said were just so...meh. Hopefully it's just because of bad trailer editing and that the actual dialog is much better.

3 hours ago, baxus said:

I'm not sure all the books have been translated to English, though.

You should check Sapkowski (series author ;) ) thread in Literature subforum for more detail regarding books.

Definitely all the original series has been translated (didn't a newer prequel of sorts come out?). I have them all, and the only one I didn't finish was the last. I need to get on that.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

That's my concern. The visuals look great, but the words being said were just so...meh. Hopefully it's just because of bad trailer editing and that the actual dialog is much better.

Some of the dialogue is right from the books. Did you play the games at all? One of the little speeches in the show's trailer is from the books, and one of the trailers for the Witcher 3 game did the same speech (see it here really great trailer). 

Edit: I should note, I like the dialogue.

8 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Definitely all the original series has been translated (didn't a newer prequel of sorts come out?). I have them all, and the only one I didn't finish was the last. I need to get on that.

Haven't read them in English. All seven books have been translated to Serbian a while ago and it's been a while since I read them.

Might be time for a re-read, now that I think about it...

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Detailing how Witcher is based on the books not the games, and thus the changes aren't changes:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2019-11-01/netflix-the-witcher-satisfy-book-game-fans/

For example, when Cavill was first cast as Geralt and showed off his costume, fans were bemused as to why he didn’t have the game character’s beard

Wait, what? These aren't even fans of the games; he only has a beard in Witcher 3, not in 1 and not even in 2.

7 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

For example, when Cavill was first cast as Geralt and showed off his costume, fans were bemused as to why he didn’t have the game character’s beard

Wait, what? These aren't even fans of the games; he only has a beard in Witcher 3, not in 1 and not even in 2.

Yeah, but just as the games have more fans than the books, so does The Witcher 3 have many more fans than 1 or 2.

9 hours ago, mormont said:

Yeah, but just as the games have more fans than the books, so does The Witcher 3 have many more fans than 1 or 2.

I think that's probably true. If you came in at Witcher 3 (which I bet a majority did), it would be hard to go back to 2, and nearly impossible to go back to 1. I think most fans of the Witcher (at least in the U.S. is all I'm confident conjecturing on) came with the game. Geralt's bearded look is what people most closely associate with him.

The frustrating thing with this weird backlash of some people is that it isn't usually like this. This, to me, is uniquely an issue of specific elements of gamer culture (and I know this isn't a surprise to you, Mormont, I just think its worth repeating). Gamer culture has become a unique nexus for the worst of us to find commonality in things that shouldn't be encouraged. Just go look at the Steam dicussion forums for Outer Worlds: the amount of hatred and misogyny there is truly unsettling.

Honestly, as much as I would love to blame this all on the toxic cesspool that is gamer culture, I think it's much more widespread than that. It's internet culture in general.

I was watching Chris Stuckmann's Terminator: Dark Fate review and some of commentors were bemoaning how the SJW/Woke movement has ruined the franchise. Like, motherfuckers, have you not been paying attention? The franchise has been on a steady decline since T3 and Genisys was almost universally reviled.

The way that internet culture lets nostalgia and their personal, emotional connection to properties dictate reality is massively troubling and is, IMO, one of the leading causes of its abject toxicity.

Anyways, rant over. Fucking internet neckbeards.

I think that's probably true. If you came in at Witcher 3 (which I bet a majority did), it would be hard to go back to 2, and nearly impossible to go back to 1. I think most fans of the Witcher (at least in the U.S. is all I'm confident conjecturing on) came with the game. Geralt's bearded look is what people most closely associate with him.

The games have sold more than 40 million copies; reportedly The Witcher 3 has sold way over half of those by itself.

In contrast, the books have sold only around 5-6 million worldwide. Maybe a bit more by now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watch showrunner Lauren Schmidt Hissrich and executive producer Tomasz “Tomek” Bagiński break down the details from the trailer

More news:

Netflix has finally unveiled the titles of each of the season’s eight episodes:

https://redanianintelligence.com/2019/11/23/analysis-of-the-witchers-episode-title-reveal/
    1 The End's Beginning
    2 Four Marks
    3 Betrayer Moon
    4 Of Banquets, Bastards & Burials
    5 Bottled Appetites
    6 Rare Species
    7 Before the Fall
    8 Much More

First Witcher song titles revealed
https://redanianintelligence.com/2019/11/23/turkish-magazine-episode-interviews-the-witchers-composers/

Critics have seen The Witcher’s first five episodes: Here’s what they think (Non-Spoiler)
https://redanianintelligence.com/2019/11/24/critics-have-seen-the-witchers-first-five-episodes-heres-what-they-think/

Season 2 of The Witcher to enter production in February 2020
https://redanianintelligence.com/2019/11/23/season-2-of-the-witcher-to-enter-production-in-february-2020/

No surprise, but the Witcher is getting good advanced reviews.  I didn't find the reviews spoiler-y. Mostly things were said like the fight choreography was amazing.

I have something to say about the Witcher and the Mandalorian, so I am going to spoiler text that comment if you haven't seen the Mandalorian yet (also I will talk about the first chapter of the Witcher book the Last Wish if you haven't read the book):

Spoiler

The first scene of the Mandalorian is SO much like the opening of the Last Wish. This is because both stories pull from the western genre, but I have to think that the first scene of the series will be Geralt's altercation in a tavern. I worry people will unfairly judge the Witcher poorly for this.

This sounds most promising.  Am I really in such a minority as to have liked Cavill, at least as Charles Brandon in The Tudors, which is the role that made me aware of him, and really enjoyed the character as he developed Brandon.

Truthfully, I have been unable to read any of the books.  For me they are just unreadable.  I'm expecting that what made the books unreadable -- particularly the language (at least in English) and style, and the structure -- will be absent from the screen adaptation.

I guess my main reaction is "whew!". I think we can safely ignore any game nitpickers that may emerge because it's not an adaptation of the games. But on the other hand, the game players are the main audience with familiarity of the material in the English-speaking world (maybe everywhere outside of Poland, and maybe even in Poland). So gamers (like me) are needed for word of mouth promotion to get those who aren't familiar to give it a try. Still, there is a good audience for fantasy TV, and Witcher is first cab off the rank for high production value fantasy after GoT. So first mover advantage.

3 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

No surprise, but the Witcher is getting good advanced reviews.  I didn't find the reviews spoiler-y. Mostly things were said like the fight choreography was amazing.

Is this a spoiler? 

Not to be crass but sit on a towel :)

15 hours ago, Zorral said:

Truthfully, I have been unable to read any of the books.  For me they are just unreadable. 

Interesting. From what I heard English translations of the first few volumes were not particularly good, but definitely not to the extent of being "unreadable". Nothing wrong with language or style in Polish for me either. De gustibus I guess.

Archived