The Witcher on Netflix 2: Man of steel and silver

3CityApache

16 hours ago, Zorral said:

This sounds most promising.  Am I really in such a minority as to have liked Cavill, at least as Charles Brandon in The Tudors, which is the role that made me aware of him, and really enjoyed the character as he developed Brandon.

Truthfully, I have been unable to read any of the books.  For me they are just unreadable.  I'm expecting that what made the books unreadable -- particularly the language (at least in English) and style, and the structure -- will be absent from the screen adaptation.

I didn't mind him in man of steel either and thought he had a lot of presence in mission impossible. He's not great but entirely functional in action roles which in fairness are the films/shows he pursues. The harshest thing i could say is that a script probably can't hide behind his performance but that isn't his fault - it's on the screenwriters. 

This show looks like it's aiming for GOT audience and there were a lot of key characters in that show who were as skilled or worse so I don't think Cavill is the showrunners aiming low.

19 hours ago, Zorral said:

This sounds most promising.  Am I really in such a minority as to have liked Cavill, at least as Charles Brandon in The Tudors, which is the role that made me aware of him, and really enjoyed the character as he developed Brandon.

Truthfully, I have been unable to read any of the books.  For me they are just unreadable.  I'm expecting that what made the books unreadable -- particularly the language (at least in English) and style, and the structure -- will be absent from the screen adaptation.

I was dubious of his casting when it was announced and they released that pic with the bad looking wig, but he looks fine in the trailer.  

Truthfully, I have been unable to read any of the books.  For me they are just unreadable. 

They're not unreadable, but they have massive pacing problems. Sapkowski is really good at writing short stories, so I have no idea why the books are as badly-structured and badly-paced as they are. I'm reading them as one big story which works a lot better, but there's more filler in these books than some of the Wheel of Time novels (not Books 8 or 10, obviously). They rest major characters for almost entire novels despite there being no real reason to, as the books are pretty short.

14 hours ago, Werthead said:

I'm reading them as one big story which works a lot better

That's exactly how they are intended to be read, according to Sapkowski. And yes, there are a lot of fillers later on (Tower of Swallow is one big filler for me for example). Not to mention the ending sucks.

And yet, I keep coming back to them on and on. Just repeating short stories for the 100th time, before the premiere. Still love 'em.

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

Wheel of Time was utterly unreadable for me as well.

I have no idea what was the logic of the ending of the first book of WoT. Seriously how could he sudenly do all that?

Never touched another book of Wot after that...

On 12/1/2019 at 1:38 PM, Simon Steele said:

No surprise, but the Witcher is getting good advanced reviews.  I didn't find the reviews spoiler-y. Mostly things were said like the fight choreography was amazing.

Its a good start, I really want this show to be good. But none of those cited impressions mentioned anything about the dialog or writing, which were my biggest concerns from the trailer. All the production values looked amazing, so its not surprise to me that they actually are.

Found Hissrich really impressive in how confident she seems in her detailed consideration of the adaptation. She seems to have spent a great deal of focus on the characters and their stories. Quite interesting that Netflix is putting her front and center, something they've not done before with other productions, but presumably they realize that the "personal" engagement with the fan base will help a lot.

Funny thing, she said in the interview she chose the short story called The Last Wish as an opening episode, which puts Geralt up against Renfri. Problem is, the short story with Renfri is actually Lesser Evil, not The Last Wish, in which he meets Yennefer for the first time.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I suspect the fact that the collection is titled The Last Wish is why she flubbed that.

But it's a nitpick that book enthusiasts may use as a point of criticism. But the quality of the show will help determine whether these nitpicks get blown out of proportion or not.

On 12/10/2019 at 5:46 PM, Zorral said:

Discussion of Sapkowski’s female print characters on Tor.com:

https://www.tor.com/2019/12/09/get-ready-for-the-women-of-the-witcher/#more-528881

I wish the author of a goodreads review I recently came across had read that. I wanted to scream at her assertions of Sapkowski’s sexism and objectification of women :bawl:

Archived