The Witcher on Netflix 2: Man of steel and silver

3CityApache

3 Episodes in and I'm enjoying it very much. I don't care what anyone says, I'm claiming this as a video game adaptation just as much as a book adaptation. I was vibing the game a lot in the episodes I've watched so far. And there is little chance these books get adapted for TV without the games existing.

On episode 2 now, and one dude just mentioned something was, "like a tiny cannonball"

Is black powder a thing in this world?

I'll be a little disappointed if it's around enough to be commonly known by a random bard, but wasn't used as a weapon in two battles of a war in the first episode.

Are we going to change this to a spoiler thread any time soon? (TV show spoilers only, please)

Anyway, had enough time before work today to watch the first episode. It was good enough to grab me, if nothing was quite great about it. Like Ran said, it's promising. I don't like to watch an English speaking show with subtitles, but for the first time I had to, between all the strange names and the low voices of the actors.

Both Henry Cavill as Geralt and Freya Allan as Ciri quickly proved to be great casting choices. The overall atmosphere and visuals were fine, if nothing quite spectacular.

Spoiler

Geralt's part in this episode was solid, and the fight choreography at the end was excellent. I've only read 3 of the short stories, so it was nice that Geralt's stuff covered one of them. The other part with Ciri was full of cliches, but not all bad. Still, right now Nilfgaard seems to be 100% cliched villainous. If the Nilfgaardians butcher everyone they conquer, do they rule over ash and bones? Explains why their armor is so shitty looking.

Geralt earning the butcher of blavikan nickname at the end of episode one was badass. The choreography looked awesome. didnt love episode two as much. The elves looked low budget. But I’m into it. Will finish over the next day or two

Also Gerslts stuff is happening pre fall of Cintra right?

Perhaps No Spoilers for a while -- Sheesh, it's hasn't even been up 12 hours.  And Christmas is only 4 -5 days away which means a lot of us won't have time to watch at all, much less binge it.

This particularly is the case for those who are the ones in their families to shop for and prepare the holiday feasts, do the shopping and wrapping of gifts, and all the rest of the endless tasks that make the holidays special, particularly for the kids.  While still having a paycheck job they have to do too.

Decent, but heavily flawed.

Spoiler

Structurally, it's a mess. Having Ciri, Geralt and Yennefer's stories unfolding in three different timelines is fine if they intersected earlier, but instead Geralt and Yennefer join forces in Episode 4 but Ciri remains on a different timeline until the ending, which is a bizarre choice. I think they made a big mistake in casting teenage Ciri and then insisting on her as a regular character, rather than holding her back for the end. As a result you just have episodes with Ciri running around in circles being captured and escaping and being captured again without any forward plot movement.

Also, the episodes were too long. They seemed determined to hit 60 minutes for each one, when several episodes were effectively over at the 40 minute mark and then got padded out by lots of mostly redundant dialogue.

The show also makes way too much use of CGI for some of its background shots and composites. The battle in episode one is particularly awful, without the attempts GoT made to have the battles taking place in a realistic-feeling way. The effects feel extremely "fake" which becomes clearer in the fight scenes without any overt CG, such as the Butcher of Blaviken sequence. The gold dragon was particularly poor.

The actors were really good and the tone of "cynical fantasy" works quite well, although some of the dialogue felt incongruous such as the mention of cannonballs (gunpowder weapons do not exist in this world, at least not yet). The worldbuilding was kind of meh, with zero attempt to have a map or establish where any of these locations are in relation to one another. The music was excellent, although the lack of a decent title sequence is a shame.

It's okay, but the pacing and structural issues are major, and I'm really not sure how they hell they're going to get seven seasons out of the story from the books. They might get three or stretch to four, but seven is impossible without slowing the pacing and plot development to the point of insanity.

Second episode was more awkward than the first, with the intercutting of three stories instead of two, and with the Geralt story feeling thin. The Yennefer sections were intriguing, though, and I like the performances there.

Going back to the first, Linda -- who has read the short stories -- did point out something they glossed over that I think was a bit of a mistake:

Spoiler

I did not realize that Renfri's story in "The Lesser Evil" is basically that of Snow White. They cut out pretty much everything that indicated that, which is a shame. It worked fine, but I think putting it in would have been great for viewers who put the pieces together and realized it.

4 minutes ago, redriver said:
  Hide contents

So Cirri in that enchanted forest had to do that drink the waters nonsense.But none of that applied to her faked abductor?

Are D&D consulting on this?

It's not spelled out in the show:

Spoiler

Her abductor is supposed to be a druid, one with nature etc, and I assume did not have to drink the waters on that basis.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It's not spelled out in the show:

Reveal hidden contents

Her abductor is supposed to be a druid, one with nature etc, and I assume did not have to drink the waters on that basis.

I'll take your word for it.Convenient though.

TWO EPISODES IN...

There are some beautiful shots and Henry Cavill has rather broad shoulders to take this on his back, but oh boy... It's always lacking something. If it is not dialogue, it is the pace. If it is not the pace, it is the production value of some shots... It's always something. 

Archived