3CityApache

The Witcher on Netflix 2: Man of steel and silver

Second episode was more awkward than the first, with the intercutting of three stories instead of two, and with the Geralt story feeling thin. The Yennefer sections were intriguing, though, and I like the performances there.

Going back to the first, Linda -- who has read the short stories -- did point out something they glossed over that I think was a bit of a mistake:

Spoiler

I did not realize that Renfri's story in "The Lesser Evil" is basically that of Snow White. They cut out pretty much everything that indicated that, which is a shame. It worked fine, but I think putting it in would have been great for viewers who put the pieces together and realized it.

On episode 5, loving it.Nothing to whine or complain about so far.Very enjoyable, with some great moments in almost all 5 episodes that i've watched so far. :thumbsup:

I have no issues with how the episodes/show is structured.It's almost takes me back to the feeling of reading the short stories. :)

Spoiler

So Cirri in that enchanted forest had to do that drink the waters nonsense.But none of that applied to her faked abductor?

Are D&D consulting on this?

4 minutes ago, redriver said:
  Hide contents

So Cirri in that enchanted forest had to do that drink the waters nonsense.But none of that applied to her faked abductor?

Are D&D consulting on this?

It's not spelled out in the show:

Spoiler

Her abductor is supposed to be a druid, one with nature etc, and I assume did not have to drink the waters on that basis.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It's not spelled out in the show:

Reveal hidden contents

Her abductor is supposed to be a druid, one with nature etc, and I assume did not have to drink the waters on that basis.

I'll take your word for it.Convenient though.

TWO EPISODES IN...

There are some beautiful shots and Henry Cavill has rather broad shoulders to take this on his back, but oh boy... It's always lacking something. If it is not dialogue, it is the pace. If it is not the pace, it is the production value of some shots... It's always something. 

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

You've all lost your minds. It's appalling.

I have to agree. I really wanted to like this show but it is a huge mess.

They mess with the timeline 2/3 times… We have no idea when events are happening.

Then most of the series feels like the misadventures of geralt with lots of stuff happening of screen and him not having a goal for most of the show. He is just doing random shit.

And don t get me started on his hollier than you speaches and emo crap. He literally tries to give moral lessons to everybody that he meets!!!

I just finished the second episode, I wanted to murder that bard with his mandolin and deep fry his tongue... his dialogue reminded me of 80's fantasy flicks where they needed to force comedy relief into the story... I really hope that he gets less douchey, or dies hilariously. 

I'm not usually fussed about realism but I think I'm done with battles in TV shows, they always end up looking so ridiculous and cheap on their generically plain CGI landscapes that I'd rather it happen off screen, absolutely takes me out of the moment. 

Finished episode 2. Each storyline has enjoyable stuff and some less so. But my main questions are

Spoiler

Why are the storylines so far detached? If I didn't have a modicum of info about the characters, I'd wondered what was the point of Yennifer right now. In a different show, we would have gotten introduced to Yennifer in a different manner, where she got to interact with one of the other main characters at that point, and then gotten a character-centric episode exploring her background. I suppose I shouldn't fault them for trying to change up the formula, but it may not work quite that well.

The elves do look unimaginative - will there ever be a fantasy where the elves will look otherworldly? The Elder Scrolls has more interesting looking elves.

Why did Geralt's armor change from episode 1 to 2?

Edited by Corvinus

9 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

On episode 5, loving it.Nothing to whine or complain about so far.Very enjoyable, with some great moments in almost all 5 episodes that i've watched so far. :thumbsup:

I have no issues with how the episodes/show is structured.It's almost takes me back to the feeling of reading the short stories. :)

Me too. It feels very much like the books. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Finished episode 2. Each storyline has enjoyable stuff and some less so. But my main questions are

Reveal hidden contents

Why are the storylines so far detached? If I didn't have a modicum of info about the characters, I'd wondered what was the point of Yennifer right now. In a different show, we would have gotten introduced to Yennifer in a different manner, where she got to interact with one of the other main characters at that point, and then gotten a character-centric episode exploring her background. I suppose I shouldn't fault them for trying to change up the formula, but it may not work quite that well.

The elves do look unimaginative - will there ever be a fantasy where the elves will look otherworldly? The Elder Scrolls has more interesting looking elves.

Why did Geralt's armor change from episode 1 to 2?

I will not spoil the books in my answers, just FYI (I know you haven't read them):

Spoiler

The stories were very detached in the book as well, generally speaking. That was part of their style, I think. The showrunners have definitely messed with the timeline a bit, but that said, Sapkowski was pretty abstract in his world building. He never officially published a map of this world, so often when events were happening like in the first episode (Geralt and Ciri) it was jarring. How far apart were they? Where were they? He explained it, but I bet the way a lot of viewers felt with the first episode are similar to how readers felt diving into the stories.

One thing about the first episode I wish had been brought out more:

Spoiler

Renfri, in the short story, was a twisted version of Snow White, and her followers were the dwarves. I wonder why the writers are shying away from that angle?

Seen S1 now.Enjoyable enough and I would watch S2.

Never read the source material or played the games.

Verdict; Well done high fantasy made with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

14 hours ago, Ran said:

Second episode was more awkward than the first, with the intercutting of three stories instead of two, and with the Geralt story feeling thin. The Yennefer sections were intriguing, though, and I like the performances there.

Going back to the first, Linda -- who has read the short stories -- did point out something they glossed over that I think was a bit of a mistake:

Reveal hidden contents

I did not realize that Renfri's story in "The Lesser Evil" is basically that of Snow White. They cut out pretty much everything that indicated that, which is a shame. It worked fine, but I think putting it in would have been great for viewers who put the pieces together and realized it.

They do it again in third episode unfortunately. I'll be vague but would be happy to discuss after you get there.

Also, while I love triss and her actress and even how she was included early on, this series has veered from the source material substantially at times. Much like agot, the veering makes little sense to me.

The game remain truer to the spirit but that said, Cavill is amazing and the music is definitely aping notes from the phenomenal game soundtrack. Just hire Parcival and get it over with!

Edited by Simon Steele

Couldn't fall asleep thanks to my neighbors so I finished the first series. I went in with zero expectations and I think it was on the average-low side of things. How this turned out is what I am worried about for the Wheel of Time series. It looks cheap: costume design is poor, the CGI varies a lot: some of it is pure garbage, and at its best it is serviceable. The acting is also between poor and average. The worst part is the dialogue: it started poorly from very beginning with the cringe "lesser evil" talks and did not improve throughout the show. The bard indeed felt like a forced comic relief character from the 80s as someone pointed out here.

I'm somewhat familiar with the Witcher universe so it wasn't difficult for me to follow the storylines but the way it's all put together - man there had to be a better way.

There was a lot to dislike and very little to like. Swordfight choreography was the main saving grace for me.

I will most likely watch the second series - maybe they're just trying to find their footing. I really hope this isn't what the WoT and LOTR shows end up as.

7 hours ago, redriver said:

Verdict; Well done high fantasy made with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

I've not read the books or played the game either. I'm about 5? episodes in and it finally clicked for me that this is Xena on a better budget.

Spoiler

What kept throwing me was that Jennefer seemed to have a more involved story with character progression while Ciri and Geralt were just on an adventure each week. Honestly, Geralt's monster of the week plots were bothering me. I know he's a monster hunter - I know that's what he does, but I was expecting there to be a more cohesive through-line. I can't see the Bard as anything but Joxer now.

Also, I'm getting a bit of a sci-fi vibe from this? Is it just some of the visual choices they've made or is it supposed to be a bit ambiguous?

Not sure if that last is spoiler worthy, but I'll be safe.

Edited by Gertrude

24 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I've not read the books or played the game either. I'm about 5? episodes in and it finally clicked for me that this is Xena on a better budget.

Reveal hidden contents

What kept throwing me was that Jennefer seemed to have a more involved story with character progression while Ciri and Geralt were just on an adventure each week. Honestly, Geralt's monster of the week plots were bothering me. I know he's a monster hunter - I know that's what he does, but I was expecting there to be a more cohesive through-line. I can't see the Bard as anything but Joxer now.

Also, I'm getting a bit of a sci-fi vibe from this? Is it just some of the visual choices they've made or is it supposed to be a bit ambiguous?

Not sure if that last is spoiler worthy, but I'll be safe.

Well Xena on a better budget is not a bad thing in my eyes.  Most fantasy and SF is way too serious nowdays imho. If stuff is tongue in cheek it is much easier to ignore plot holes and unlogical things. But I never got into GoT, did not enjoy BSG and can't enjoy Star Trek Discovery apart from the fact that it has awesome special effects.

13 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I just finished the second episode, I wanted to murder that bard with his mandolin and deep fry his tongue... his dialogue reminded me of 80's fantasy flicks where they needed to force comedy relief into the story... I really hope that he gets less douchey, or dies hilariously. 

Ok some of the complaints I agree with but the bard is perfect. The actor is hilarious and his voice smooth as butter. Love him