The Witcher on Netflix 2: Man of steel and silver

3CityApache

2 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Agreed--which kind of makes me think they're looking for a young adult audience. I was thinking more about how most of the cast are--Yenn looks like a teenager, which again, is in line with the books, but I've found I have a hard time watching shows that feature a super young cast. I mean if Cavell is the old vet...

I want to give it a chance. I'm just bringing up those things nagging me.

Problem is, if they cast a ten year old, they're stuck in the position where they would have to recast if they want to move the story forward several years.  Casting a young adult actress who looks younger than she is, on the other hand, gives them a bit more leeway to present her as very young early on while aging her up with make-up and costumes later (along with her natural aging, of course).

If they're doing all of the stories, chronologically (they're not, as the casting indicates and I think it's clear Season of Storms is not in the mix), then they'd start some considerable time before Ciri is even conceived (her conception is part of a fairly big, early story), then zoom forward to when she's about 10 and then again to when she's about 15 (IIRC). So I think the TV show is clearly going in a different direction to that.

Will they ultimately bow to that pressure? 

Given they're now a week into shooting, that'd be quite difficult. I do assume the hair/makeup test would have changed and been refined when they start shooting though.

On 11/3/2018 at 12:13 AM, Soylent Brown said:

But, hey,  if it makes someone feel all clever and tingly in their tummy to point out that they can tell the short-brown-haired actor's long grey wig is a wig, then good for them!

Uh, of course everyone knows it's a wig, the point is to make it look natural so you can get immersed while watching the show, and not be constantly reminded of the fact that it is a short-brown-haired actor instead of Geralt.

11 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Right, but there isn't some magical grey-haired actor out there waiting for the part; and Netflix probably isn't skimping on wigs either.

Fantasy characters with wacky hair colours or bananas for eyelashes aren't going to look real outside of your imagination.

You need to accept that Geralt doesn't actually exist, and move on from there.

Yep, just give up trying to make something look realistic, let's give the actors the shittiest costumes and use the worst CGI effects possible. Because Geralt doesn't exist IRL anyway.

Look, Cavill as Geralt is probably going to look fine in the show, but you're making a terrible argument. There's nothing wrong with pointing out that right now it's just bad.

maybe there is a magical grey haired actor currently fuming at the fact he didn't audition?

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:40 PM, Werthead said:

Given they're now a week into shooting, that'd be quite difficult. I do assume the hair/makeup test would have changed and been refined when they start shooting though.

The wig might look better after it has some blood, grease and grime on it from shooting the show too. I think Cavill might be drawn to roles where hair and it's realness or attempts at not being there becomes a focus.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

Right, but there isn't some magical grey-haired actor out there waiting for the part; and Netflix probably isn't skimping on wigs either.

Fantasy characters with wacky hair colours or bananas for eyelashes aren't going to look real outside of your imagination.

You need to accept that Geralt doesn't actually exist, and move on from there.

I mean, Game of Thrones doesn't have too many issues finding wigs for their actors (and a good chunk of them wear them) that look good.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

Mads Mikkelsen is both magical and grey haired and don't you forget it!

Anyway, a bit of racist controversy now of course since Triss has been cast- Anna Shaffer- and of course the problem is that her hair is not red! That's definitely the issue those people are having there.
Though to be fair some people are being open about their racism.

41 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Anyway, a bit of racist controversy now of course since Triss has been cast- Anna Shaffer- and of course the problem is that her hair is not red! That's definitely the issue those people are having there.
Though to be fair some people are being open about their racism.

I think I'm missing something here, how is complaining about hair color racist?

3 hours ago, briantw said:

I mean, Game of Thrones doesn't have too many issues finding wigs for their actors (and a good chunk of them wear them) that look good.

There was a ton of complaints about Dany's wig for season 1 though.

As to the poster directly above me, polish is quite clearly isn't saying that the complaints about hair colour are racist, rather that hair colour isn't the problem but its being cited to mask racism. And some aren't masking it at all. I'm sure you have a pretty good idea of this though, not having much use for obfuscation.

4 minutes ago, karaddin said:

There was a ton of complaints about Dany's wig for season 1 though.

Maybe, but she's not the only character on that show who wears a wig.  A ton of the actors and actresses do.  And even Dany's looked a lot better than the Geralt wig looked in the promo video, but of course as I've mentioned before I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see it with proper cinematic lighting.  

On 11/3/2018 at 2:54 AM, red snow said:

As long as it's not being changed because of internet ragers or racists. Don't want to empower them any more than they already believe.

I've also read that the Joker reveal was done much better making for harsher comparisons too. That said I can remember how shit dark knight was going to be based on the first look of ledger's joker. Other than feelings on how geralt appears it's hard to glean the quality of the show or cavill's performance. Not that I'm suggest Cavill is in heath ledger's league!

I don't know what the racists have to do with Caville related hate. The ragers though, they could certainly be baying for blood for reasons that have little to do with the quality of the final product. I didn't like the look of that 5s .gif, but I'm not going to make any kind of judgement or prediction about what the show will be like based on that tiny amount of video.

But it was still a weird decision to release that clip. Almost anyone with any sense of the internet knows there are always people eager to rage about something that presents wrongness in their minds. And anyone with any sense of The Witcher should have known that clip was bound to be a trigger for a quite a bit of nerdrage. Though maybe if you burst that abscess of pent up rage early enough, you have less anticipated rage ready to spew forth at the time the show is released. So, maybe releasing releasing it was cunningly smart?

6 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Right! There was no end to the complaints- Her wig was bad, her eyes weren't violet, her eyebrows were too dark

Every time a show like this is cast and made, there are so many numpties driven into rages because something doesn't exactly match their expectations.

I remember when Alex Dreymon was cast as Uhtred of Bebbanburg. A lot of people lost their shit because the actor wasn't anywhere near the same size as those blokes they got to play the Mountain on GoT. The show was LITERALLY UNWATCHABLE before a scene had been shot. But Dreymon has been absolutely superb in the show. He is Uhtred.

7 hours ago, karaddin said:

As to the poster directly above me, polish is quite clearly isn't saying that the complaints about hair colour are racist, rather that hair colour isn't the problem but its being cited to mask racism. And some aren't masking it at all. I'm sure you have a pretty good idea of this though, not having much use for obfuscation.

Ah, now that I've looked her up, the actress for Triss does look darker skinned in some pictures. She looked pretty white to me on the first casting pic, so I didn't see how racism would have anything to do with complaints. I think she'll be a great choice for Triss. She shouldn't have red hair anyway, they are adapting the books, not the games.

10 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Right! There was no end to the complaints- Her wig was bad, her eyes weren't violet, her eyebrows were too dark

Every time a show like this is cast and made, there are so many numpties driven into rages because something doesn't exactly match their expectations.

I particularly enjoyed the angst that coster-waldau had an "obvious" broken nose and therefore couldn't possibly play the beautiful Jaime.

I just read a report saying Cavill will be receiving $400,000 an episode so he better bring his A+ game to the performance as that must be a significant amount of the budget unless they are spending 10 million plus per episode. That might explain the wig :)

11 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Ah, now that I've looked her up, the actress for Triss does look darker skinned in some pictures. She looked pretty white to me on the first casting pic, so I didn't see how racism would have anything to do with complaints. I think she'll be a great choice for Triss. She shouldn't have red hair anyway, they are adapting the books, not the games.

Her face actually looks quite similar to Triss's face in the game, though, or at least I thought so when I saw a side-by-side comparison.  

8 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Yes, her hair is chestnut in the books I think,

To be fair, 'chestnut' in Polish when referring to hair colour is dark red. The games definitely take it redder than you'd associate that colour but she's meant to be a redhead in the books.

21 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I think my favourite nitpicking complaint was that the white raven on the TV show wasn't as large as it had been described in the books.

Archived