The Witcher on Netflix 2: Man of steel and silver

3CityApache

On 11/5/2018 at 11:23 AM, polishgenius said:

Mads Mikkelsen is both magical and grey haired and don't you forget it!

Anyway, a bit of racist controversy now of course since Triss has been cast- Anna Shaffer- and of course the problem is that her hair is not red! That's definitely the issue those people are having there.
Though to be fair some people are being open about their racism.

It might make me prejudiced in a different way, but if the thing Anna Shaffer is most well known for is a bit part in Harry Potter, I'm not a big fan of her playing any character of significance in the series. But, maybe she is a lot better than I suspect.

How is she in Hollyoaks and Fearless? Those are shows I've heard of, but never watched a single episode.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It might make me prejudiced in a different way, but if the thing Anna Shaffer is most well known for is a bit part in Harry Potter, I'm not a big fan of her playing any character of significance in the series. But, maybe she is a lot better than I suspect.

How is she in Hollyoaks and Fearless? Those are shows I've heard of, but never watched a single episode.

If you are under 35, british and your looks mean you could have been a model instead of an actor, chances are you will have been in hollyoaks. There are some good actors who've come out of it but it's primarily aimed at looking good. "casualty" is the other option - especially if modelling isn't your acting back up plan. You can't really guage if someone has acting talent from either show but I guess it's early resume fodder

21 hours ago, red snow said:

I particularly enjoyed the angst that coster-waldau had an "obvious" broken nose and therefore couldn't possibly play the beautiful Jaime.

That's funny, because I was quoted in a Danish tabloid saying quite the opposite.

Maybe they released the wig video because they knew people would go nuts, any publicity is good publicity and all that.

1 hour ago, GrimTuesday said:

That's funny, because I was quoted in a Danish tabloid saying quite the opposite.

Maybe they released the wig video because they knew people would go nuts, any publicity is good publicity and all that.

Proof you can't please the entirety of the internet! But cool Denmark was able to take the positive path :)

I'm agree it's probably publicity at the end of the day. There were probably as many, possibly more, people who were just excited the show is that much closer to fruition.

On Monday, November 05, 2018 at 7:50 AM, red snow said:

I particularly enjoyed the angst that coster-waldau had an "obvious" broken nose and therefore couldn't possibly play the beautiful Jaime.

I just read a report saying Cavill will be receiving $400,000 an episode so he better bring his A+ game to the performance as that must be a significant amount of the budget unless they are spending 10 million plus per episode. That might explain the wig :)

I think i heard season 1 will be eight episodes so that's what 3.2 mill? That's quite a bit forthe first season before they know if they have an audience. Kinda expected though as he's the name and star of the show.

15 minutes ago, mactwist2 said:

I think i heard season 1 will be eight episodes so that's what 3.2 mill? That's quite a bit forthe first season before they know if they have an audience. Kinda expected though as he's the name and star of the show.

Yeah, it's a lot of money and essentially a long term investment as I doubt he's going to take less for future seasons. 

I'd have spent that kind of money on nabbing a star for a one season role (eg they die at the end of season 1 or never appear again). I'm guessing he must have tested really well for them to commit so much. I guess he isn't likely to run off to do a film with that kind of money (and his apparent live of the character/games/books). I'm guessing he didn't get much more for his film roles. Guess there's slightly more work involved for 8hours Vs 2 hours

24 minutes ago, red snow said:

Yeah, it's a lot of money and essentially a long term investment as I doubt he's going to take less for future seasons. 

I'd have spent that kind of money on nabbing a star for a one season role (eg they die at the end of season 1 or never appear again). I'm guessing he must have tested really well for them to commit so much. I guess he isn't likely to run off to do a film with that kind of money (and his apparent live of the character/games/books). I'm guessing he didn't get much more for his film roles. Guess there's slightly more work involved for 8hours Vs 2 hours

Yeah I mean if the show does well I reckon that's what's going to guarantee he'll stick around.  I never really thought much of him but I never thought he was bad in what I saw either so good pick I suppose.  Actors do shows and do movies and such in between anyways so I don't think it's really that big a threat.  I've seen Emilia Clarke in a movie since GOT started and I know she's been in more.  She was even in that Solo A Star Wars one.  I know she's not the only one I'm just saying even if you are the main star you can still act in other stuff, you basically just can't really commit to another show unless it's like a mini series.  

2 hours ago, mactwist2 said:

Yeah I mean if the show does well I reckon that's what's going to guarantee he'll stick around.  I never really thought much of him but I never thought he was bad in what I saw either so good pick I suppose.  Actors do shows and do movies and such in between anyways so I don't think it's really that big a threat.  I've seen Emilia Clarke in a movie since GOT started and I know she's been in more.  She was even in that Solo A Star Wars one.  I know she's not the only one I'm just saying even if you are the main star you can still act in other stuff, you basically just can't really commit to another show unless it's like a mini series.  

But I guess it was only the latter seasons where Emilia Clarke, Kit Harrington etc were getting anywhere near as much as Cavill is getting from the outset. Then again he is superman but the last superman wound up playing a knock off iron man on arrow and I doubt was getting paid much.

I think it's a great deal for Cavill as this could allow him to finally get an iconic part. shocking that wasn't the case with Superman but their approach to the character in the film made him far from iconic.

10 hours ago, red snow said:

If you are under 35, british and your looks mean you could have been a model instead of an actor, chances are you will have been in hollyoaks. There are some good actors who've come out of it but it's primarily aimed at looking good. "casualty" is the other option - especially if modelling isn't your acting back up plan. You can't really guage if someone has acting talent from either show but I guess it's early resume fodder

Ricky Whittle (The 100American Gods) started in Hollyoaks so it's not done his career much harm. Also, about 50% of the under-30 (at the time) cast of GoT came up through Hollyoaks as well.

Those soaps don't necessarily generate lots of opportunities for great acting (although they do occasionally), but they are seen as good training in the industry for getting actors (especially young, good-looking ones who might be tempted to take advantage of even such minor fame) to show up on set on time, lines learned and ready to roll.

40 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Ricky Whittle (The 100American Gods) started in Hollyoaks so it's not done his career much harm. Also, about 50% of the under-30 (at the time) cast of GoT came up through Hollyoaks as well.

Those soaps don't necessarily generate lots of opportunities for great acting (although they do occasionally), but they are seen as good training in the industry for getting actors (especially young, good-looking ones who might be tempted to take advantage of even such minor fame) to show up on set on time, lines learned and ready to roll.

That's what I mean - I don't think anyone gets excited about the fact an actor has worked on hollyoaks but it's where many young, attractive, actors get their start. It's not like having "the wire" on your resume. I'm sure there's an America equivalent that people in the UK also never see. I certainly wouldn't urge anyone to watch hollyoaks out of some curiosity as to why all these up and coming actors seem to have come from that soap.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

That's what I mean - I don't think anyone gets excited about the fact an actor has worked on hollyoaks but it's where many young, attractive, actors get their start. It's not like having "the wire" on your resume. I'm sure there's an America equivalent that people in the UK also never see. I certainly wouldn't urge anyone to watch hollyoaks out of some curiosity as to why all these up and coming actors seem to have come from that soap.

Yeah, something like Party of Five, a young drama which wasn't any great shakes in itself but gave us Matthew Fox, Neve Campbell and Jennifer Love Hewitt as major stars. There's a few American shows like that.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:07 AM, Werthead said:

On 11/7/2018 at 8:07 AM, Soylent Brown said:

I don't know, Hollyoaks is more of a soap then anything. Probably better to compare it to Neighbours or Home and Away (which have produced plenty of decent actors too, of course.)

Also, I liked Party of Five!

Was going to bring up precisely those two shows as the Aussie equivalent and a lot of Australian actors of note had at least appeared on them first. For example Chris Hemsworth went Home & Away, Liam Hemsworth went Neighbours. Margot Robbie was also on Neighbours, Russel Crowe - Neighbours, Heath Ledger - Home & Away, Ryan Kwanten (Jason in True Blood) - Home & Away, Guy Pearce - Home & Away etc.

Or to use The 100 following on from Wert's example of Ricky Whittle and I know its got a ton of Aussies - Bob Morley (Bellamy) was on Neighbours, Eliza Taylor (Clarke) was on Neighbours, Rhiannon Fish (Ontari) was on both Neighbours and Home & Away. The only exception of Aussies on the show that hadn't been on those was Alycia Debnam-Carey (Lexa).

When you're in a smaller television market, the options for break out roles are much fewer and soaps become a great place to let actors cut their teeth.

Cut teeth and get noticed. The Australian soaps mentioned are particularly useful as they have a decent following in the UK so provides Australian actors with opportunities in UK and then maybe Hollywood. 

Australians/kiwis do pretty well Hollywood wise.

• 5 months later...

So it was announced in April that the show will launch in the Netflix’s fourth quarter, which runs from October to December, the company’s chief content officer noted.

Director Marc Jobst Involved with 'The Witcher'
https://thewitcher.tv/director-marc-jobst-involved-with-the-witcher

Netflix has confirmed that Jeremy Crawford, known for his roles on DC Universe's Titans and Man Seeking Woman, will play the part of Yarpen Zigrin on the show!
https://thewitcher.tv/evolving-cast-fall-launch

Netflix Confirms: Vilgefortz Cast, Actor Mahesh Jadu has been cast as the infamous villain.
https://thewitcher.tv/netflix-confirms-vilgefortz-cast

Steve Wall cast as Boholt
https://thewitcher.tv/steve-wall-cast-as-boholt

Gaia Mondadori cast as Pavetta and Lucas Englander cast as Chireadan
https://thewitcher.tv/lucas-englander-and-gaia-mondadori-roles-revealed

• 1 month later...

Excellent. These images are all a lot better and should put wig-gate to rest.

Amused by all the people screaming that he should be wearing two swords on his back. In the books he carries his steel sword on his back and his silver sword is left on Roache. Putting both swords on his back in the game was for the purposes of mechanical convenience only.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Excellent. These images are all a lot better and should put wig-gate to rest.

Amused by all the people screaming that he should be wearing two swords on his back. In the books he carries his steel sword on his back and his silver sword is left on Roache. Putting both swords on his back in the game was for the purposes of mechanical convenience only.

I was also impressed at how good he looks in the role. Yeah, I have read those comments :D

I hope this works for Cavill. He has been "the unluckiest Hollywood actor" for far too long. The man deserves a break :D

I guess that's Rivia's arse?

Having only experienced this in the game I'm not feeling it with Yennefer. She's too youthful looking. So I don't know how well it will work with a character who has been around a long time and done and seen a lot. If she can pull it off I will be impressed, but for now I'm skeptical. A romantic liaison between Yennefer and Geralt might come across rather cradle snatchery if Yennefer can't be convincingly portrayed as the same actual age (or older?) and that the outward appearance is all just a glamour. 

Archived