The Witcher on Netflix 2: Man of steel and silver

3CityApache

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess that's Rivia's arse?

Having only experienced this in the game I'm not feeling it with Yennefer. She's too youthful looking. So I don't know how well it will work with a character who has been around a long time and done and seen a lot. If she can pull it off I will be impressed, but for now I'm skeptical. A romantic liaison between Yennefer and Geralt might come across rather cradle snatchery if Yennefer can't be convincingly portrayed as the same actual age (or older?) and that the outward appearance is all just a glamour. 

It's based on the books, not the games, and in the books Yennefer has deep-seated psychological issues which means she glamours herself to appear about 16 (the actress is 23), with Dandelion gets a bit freaked out by on a couple of occasions. Most of the other sorceresses make them appear themselves to be in their late twenties to mid-thirties, so youthful but also old enough to command authority.

The games are quite unfaithful to the books in several areas, one being Yennefer's appearance, the others being Geralt carrying the two swords at all times (he only carries his steel sword in the books and leaves the silver on Roach, but that would be awkward for gameplay reasons) and growing a beard (Geralt hates having a beard in the books, and only grows one when in captivity, which he shaves off ASAP). Oh, and Triss and Zoltan being really major characters, which they are not in the books.

I'll be sad if Triss is only a bit part, but I'll get over it.

Yennefer being old and obsessed with youth is obviously an important character trait, that should be established early. That way the only thing that's creepy about her youthfulness is Yennefer herself. 

On 7/2/2019 at 10:48 AM, Sharpes said:

I'm not familiar with this franchise but I thought Ciri was supposed to have a scar under her left eye? Or is this adaptation set before that happened?

The adaptation is set before it happens, she gets the scar in one of the latter books.

16 hours ago, Risto said:

I was also impressed at how good he looks in the role. Yeah, I have read those comments :D

I hope this works for Cavill. He has been "the unluckiest Hollywood actor" for far too long. The man deserves a break :D

I thought he was great in mission impossible but i guess he wasn't a leading man in it.

Definitely unlucky with how he was treated as superman. I thought there was no issue with his look and performance but with how the writers/directors handled superman.

The stills all seem fine. I'm keen to see done footage at some point to get a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Werthead said:

Hmmm, that looks like vanilla roach and vanilla armour from TW3. They might not be adapting the substance of the game, but they're bringing in the look and feel.

12 hours ago, john said:

Silver sword apparently visible, strapped to Roach’s left side.

I mean, it would be safer on his back. I never leave my iPhone in the car.

Makes sense though. When you're on foot, you're mostly in populated places and you'll mostly be fighting non-magical things. When you're on horseback you're mostly out in the boonies and that's when you'll come across monsters, and you'll have the silver sword nice and handy.

19 hours ago, karaddin said:

This deserved acknowledgement. Well played.

I wonder if Geralt smells good.  He’s living in a medieval-esque world, working hard all day in leather.  But he does douse himself in potions frequently.

58 minutes ago, john said:

I wonder if Geralt smells good.  He’s living in a medieval-esque world, working hard all day in leather.  But he does douse himself in potions frequently.

Wasn't the tradition of the time more or less that anyone who's job doesn't get them dirty every day bathes as little as possible, and used perfumes to keep themselves smelling nice. So essentially the dirty peasants had pretty much no B.O. as they had to bathe more or less daily, but they still smelt like shit because soon after they walk out the door every day they get covered in muck and they are infused with the stink of open sewers. And for the middle and upper classes perfume can only mask so much stink.

So, when everyone stinks no one stinks. Your brain simply ignores the assault on your olfactory senses. Like if people have been farting in a closed room for hours, the people in the room do not perceive any stink, or perhaps just a mild odor, but someone walking into the room for the first time will be almost knocked unconscious by the smell.

He does like to take baths with women in them.

also:

You stink, Geralt," Yennefer frowned, not turning from the mirror before which she removed the make-up from her eyelids and lashes. "Take a bath".
"There's no water," he said, peering into the tub.
"We'll sort something out." The sorceress stood up and opened wide the window. "Would you prefer seawater or fresh water?"
"Sea, for a change."

I can imagine sorceresses being more inclined to cleanliness, as with their arcane knowledge they are probably the only ones who know that being clean is good for your health. Though I would not think they know the microbial basis for disease, they would have some sense that there's something going on and it relates to being unclean.

Archived