The Witcher on Netflix 2: Man of steel and silver

3CityApache

It's kind of odd that almost all of the dialogue is from people other than Geralt.

It looks good though, and I am really looking forward to the series.

I am fine with how Cavill looks in motion.

So Yennifer is young but deformed. Book readers will know better than me, but I thought she was meant to be old but not necessarily ugly. She's just fixated with youth. Interesting alteration if so.

7 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So Yennifer is young but deformed. Book readers will know better than me, but I thought she was meant to be old but not necessarily ugly. She's just fixated with youth. Interesting alteration if so.

Perhaps it's a flashback to when she was learning to use her power as a child?

I have only read the first two books (the short story one and Blood of Elves), so I'm not much help in that regard.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

She smells of lilac and gooseberries. That’s all we need to know.

It's kind of odd that almost all of the dialogue is from people other than Geralt.

Geralt is mostly laconic and doesn't do that much talking in the books (from what I remember), especially as he's only one of several POV characters (and a less major one as time goes by). The games are a bit different because you're with Geralt's POV for three games totalling about 170 hours, which is why I think people think he's more talkative than he is.

Yennefer was born a hunchback and one of the first things she did upon becoming a sorcerer was "fix" herself, although as one pointed Jaskier (Dandelion) seems to be saying she overcompensated and made herself look much younger than even the other sorcerers would do. This is all exposition in the books, so they seem to be fleshing that storyline out in real-time.

10 minutes ago, Werthead said:

This is all exposition in the books, so they seem to be fleshing that storyline out in real-time.

The books are on the shorter side, so no doubt they've had to add a lot of stuff to avoid burning through them too fast.

9 hours ago, Mexal said:

Lets fucking go.

looks fun and decent LOTR inspired visuals.

Might take a couple of episodes not to think of it as Superman being so pissed off with his recent treatment in films that he goes to a fantasy world - he even has post laser vein eyes :)

But there are seven of them. Enough material for as many seasons no doubt.

Eight, although the last one was a prequel which didn't seem to go down too well. The first two books are also collections of short stories, and I suspect they'll be looking for a more serialised big story for the series, so we'll see some of the stories directly relevant to the main, big plot (there's the battle with the striga from The Last Wish) but others will probably not be adapted. From the look of the trailer it looks like they are incorporating events from the first three books in total.

I know, I don't include Storm Season (Season of Storms? I don't know how it was translated after all) into the canon. 

As for the trailer, I don't see there anything that goes beyond the first two books, actually. Also, how is Lesser Evil directly relevant to the overall plot? And we know this one will be adapted for sure, as there are Renfri and Stregobor casted. 

7 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

But there are seven of them. Enough material for as many seasons no doubt.

Right, but if they're hoping to make this a Game of Thrones style hit and get five-plus seasons, they need to add a lot of shit.  They could probably get through the entire book series in about three to four seasons of TV.  Most of the Witcher books are like a third the length of the shortest GoT book.

On 7/19/2019 at 2:26 AM, Filippa Eilhart said:

I'm pretty sure (without actually going back to read the books) that they know about bacteria, viruses, atoms etc. They for sure know about genetics. It's a future world, not an actual medieval world.

Yeah I remember them talking about doing things like curing Leukemia (triss I think).

1 hour ago, briantw said:

They could probably get through the entire book series in about three to four seasons of TV.  Most of the Witcher books are like a third the length of the shortest GoT book.

That's what I'm arguing about. They probably could burn through the source material as quickly as you say indeed if they really wanted, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have to. Despite the length of the books, there is enough material for a season per book, especially in the later books, like Tower of Swallow and Lady of the Lake. And for instance the first two short stories collections could easily be adapted in the form of one short story per episode, and there were 13 short stories, IIRC. I could also think of dividing Lady of the Lake into at least two seasons. But maybe it's just me. 

Yvette Nicole Brown is all over Henry Cavill, talking about how handsome he is, his muscles, his workout regimen, how many swords he’s got.  Totally uncomfortable.  He’s definitely passionate about the project though.

@Filippa Eilhart was very unhappy that he said Roach “means everything to Geralt” and is an expression of his humanity, or something.  According to her, he’s just a horse.

she’s just a horse. although apparently one of them was a he. Geralt probably had more Roaches than he did lovers :p

I don’t like where they’re going with Ciri. She’s too old, I don’t know how they’re going to make a 15 year old act like a (rather immature) 10 year old. Also they were like “Ciri is naive cos she was leading a sheltered and pampered life”. I don’t know that running around with fishermen’s children counts as pampered life, but whatever.

I’ve only played the 3rd game and haven’t read the books, but I enjoyed the game and the trailer looks good so I’m looking forward to it.

Some people are saying Netflix are hoping for the next GoT with it, going from that trailer the production does look very good.

4 hours ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

she’s just a horse. although apparently one of them was a he. Geralt probably had more Roaches than he did lovers :p

I don’t like where they’re going with Ciri. She’s too old, I don’t know how they’re going to make a 15 year old act like a (rather immature) 10 year old. Also they were like “Ciri is naive cos she was leading a sheltered and pampered life”. I don’t know that running around with fishermen’s children counts as pampered life, but whatever.

Is this more a case of some scenes would be totally unacceptable if they stuck to such young ages? Because i understand why they decided to not have a 15 year Dany be assaulted by khal drogo in GOT. 

Archived