Will Brienne give Oathkeeper back to jaime

norwaywolf123

1 hour ago, wia said:

Shouldn't she give it back to Lady Stoneheart, seeing how it's actually Ned's sword. 

I doubt that Brienne knows, otherwise she would have mentioned it. Brienne is an unusually honest and open person.

Similarly, I think she would offer "Oath Keeper" back to Jaime when they meet again, probably after the immediate danger is over. (It would be crazy to give away your only sword when you're most likely to be attacked.) At this point, Jaime will urge her to keep it, as a sign of his great love ... that is, "respect" ... for her. Wench.

3 minutes ago, zandru said:

I doubt that Brienne knows, otherwise she would have mentioned it. Brienne is an unusually honest and open person.

Similarly, I think she would offer "Oath Keeper" back to Jaime when they meet again, probably after the immediate danger is over. (It would be crazy to give away your only sword when you're most likely to be attacked.) At this point, Jaime will urge her to keep it, as a sign of his great love ... that is, "respect" ... for her. Wench.

She knows. 

A Storm of Swords - Jaime IX:

"I know what you thought." Suddenly Jaime was sick of the sight of her. She bleats like a bloody sheep. "When Ned Stark died, his greatsword was given to the King's Justice," he told her. "But my father felt that such a fine blade was wasted on a mere headsman. He gave Ser Ilyn a new sword, and had Ice melted down and reforged. There was enough metal for two new blades. You're holding one. So you'll be defending Ned Stark's daughter with Ned Stark's own steel, if that makes any difference to you."

9 hours ago, EloImFizzy said:

She might aswell keep it, Jaime will probably only ever be an average swordsman at best at this point. I could see Jaime telling her to use it to protect one of the Stark children, with it originally being a Stark sword and all. 

If Jaime get's the sword then it could be passed on in the Lannister line. 

2 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

If Jaime get's the sword then it could be passed on in the Lannister line. 

Maybe, but with Jaime's character development I cant see him accepting the sword back. Either way I just cant see Oathkeeper being in Lannister hands by the end of the books. 

15 hours ago, wia said:

She knows. 

Thanks for the update! That undercuts my argument about how "open" she is. Nonetheless, I do think Brienne would give "Widows Wail" back to Jaime, not Lady Stoneheart. "Ice" no longer exists, and really - neither does Catelyn Stark.

9 hours ago, Kandrax said:

I don't think that she will give him Oathkeeper back. However, i believe that she will give Oathkeeper to Starks.

Which Stark though?  Robb is dead, Jon isn't a Stark (and even if he is one, he already has a sword), Sansa wouldn't know which end was which, Bran would have no use for it. That leaves only Arya and Rickkon.  I have a hard time imagining either of them wielding a sword that size to any effect.  Not that I don't think it's the right thing to do, I just don't know who she'd actually return it to. 

25 minutes ago, LyrnaSnowBunnyAvenger said:

Which Stark though?  Robb is dead, Jon isn't a Stark (and even if he is one, he already has a sword), Sansa wouldn't know which end was which, Bran would have no use for it. That leaves only Arya and Rickkon.  I have a hard time imagining either of them wielding a sword that size to any effect.  Not that I don't think it's the right thing to do, I just don't know who she'd actually return it to. 

"The current generation are girls and cripples and children, so I'm gonna give this sword to somebody else who can wield it" is not how ancestral swords work. )))
Rickon will grow up, Bran, Sansa and Arya can pass it to their sons/Stark heirs. 

2 hours ago, zandru said:

Thanks for the update! That undercuts my argument about how "open" she is. Nonetheless, I do think Brienne would give "Widows Wail" back to Jaime, not Lady Stoneheart. "Ice" no longer exists, and really - neither does Catelyn Stark.

I think she's just scared of saying that it's Ice to Lady Stoneheart who already wants her dead. 

1 hour ago, LyrnaSnowBunnyAvenger said:

That leaves only Arya and Rickkon.  I have a hard time imagining either of them wielding a sword that size to any effect.

Still, and even if they can't use it, it would be nice if they received the two swords that came out of Ice: Oathkeeper for Rickon, and Widow's Wail for Arya.

5 hours ago, LyrnaSnowBunnyAvenger said:

She wouldn't give them to use it battle, but as family heirloom. 

I think that as long as there are Starks that need defending, she will hang on to Oathkeeper.  Given their respective current skill levels, she can make far better use of it than Jaime can.  When (if) things settle down and the Starks are reasonably safe, she may give it to them as an heirloom.

Jaime clearly didn't want it, and I'm guessing Brienne would be more likely to return it to the Starks. 

On 10/10/2018 at 1:42 PM, The hairy bear said:

Still, and even if they can't use it, it would be nice if they received the two swords that came out of Ice: Oathkeeper for Rickon, and Widow's Wail for Arya.

Note: While the Lannisters and Starks superiority in the game of thrones is debatable, the Starks are undoubtedly the superiors in naming swords: Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper vs Ice and Needle. 

Archived