Will Brienne give Oathkeeper back to jaime

norwaywolf123

On 10/17/2018 at 11:58 PM, Fire Eater said:

Jaime clearly didn't want it, and I'm guessing Brienne would be more likely to return it to the Starks. 

Note: While the Lannisters and Starks superiority in the game of thrones is debatable, the Starks are undoubtedly the superiors in naming swords: Widow's Wail and Oathkeeper vs Ice and Needle. 

Widow's Wail really encapsulates what a moron Joffrey was.  Lion's Tooth, Hearteater, Widow's Wail.  However, Jaime nailed it with Oathkeeper.

On 10/10/2018 at 10:29 AM, LyrnaSnowBunnyAvenger said:

That leaves only Arya and Rickkon.  I have a hard time imagining either of them wielding a sword that size to any effect. 

Actually, Arya has been growing significantly, and has always been strong and quick, not to mention having trained in swordplay and continuing her physical training under the Faceless Men. "Half-Ice" is Valyrian steel, and thus lighter than a regular sword. Rhaenys and Visenya both wielded swords; women can do that.

Spoiler

Also, in the Winds of Winter chapter, Arya now feels that Needle is too small for her.

Brienne is continuing to look for Arya, in addition to Sansa, and thinks she might find Arya with the Hound. Trouble is, Brienne has never seen either of the Stark girls, there are no such things as "photographs" and portraits seem rare, too; neither girl has ever had one. Brienne doesn't even have a physical description of Arya, the girl being considered both dead and unimportant by comparison with her beautiful, ladylike older sister.

Rickon is still around 6, tops, assuming he still lives. (Let's hope!!)

18 hours ago, LindsayLohan said:

Widow's Wail really encapsulates what a moron Joffrey was.  Lion's Tooth, Hearteater, Widow's Wail.  However, Jaime nailed it with Oathkeeper.

Fair enough, Oathkeeper isn't that bad. 

Although, I still think Brightroar is a bad name. It doesn't make sense, given roars are heard and not seen, so how can they be bright? 

15 hours ago, Fire Eater said:

Although, I still think Brightroar is a bad name.

Indeed. And "Lionstar", the name of the Lannister capital ship, is absurd, too. The Lannisters aren't very good at naming their objects, in my opinion. "Oathkeeper" was good, though. Jaime is becoming a different kind of Lannister. If things work out for him, and he and Brienne get together, I could see him taking the surname "Tarth" and ruling beside Brienne. Leave Casterly Rock to Tyrion, who may eventually make it back to Westeros.

If "Oathkeeper" stays in the Brienne/Jaime family (well, who knows?), what has become of Joffrey's little baby sword, which ought to be renamed by its next wielder? No way that it would have been buried with him.

2 hours ago, zandru said:

Indeed. And "Lionstar", the name of the Lannister capital ship, is absurd, too. The Lannisters aren't very good at naming their objects, in my opinion. "Oathkeeper" was good, though. Jaime is becoming a different kind of Lannister. If things work out for him, and he and Brienne get together, I could see him taking the surname "Tarth" and ruling beside Brienne. Leave Casterly Rock to Tyrion, who may eventually make it back to Westeros.

If "Oathkeeper" stays in the Brienne/Jaime family (well, who knows?), what has become of Joffrey's little baby sword, which ought to be renamed by its next wielder? No way that it would have been buried with him.

Widow's Wail is likely in the armory or some other place in the Red Keep, and currently is for Tommen. No one is buried with their Valyrian steel swords, simply because they are too valuable as well as irreplaceable after their production ceased with the Doom. I'm thinking the Starks would want both swords back. Brienne would likely feel compelled to give Oathkeeper back, and Jaime might be of the same position given he didn't want Oathkeeper. 

I don't think Brienne will return Oath Keeper to the any Lannister, it will likely be returned to House Stark.  I hope that Brienne uses the sword in spectacular fashion defending either Sansa or Arya and that she then presents the sword to them. 

Call me Crazy or Tinfoil... but I can see both swords going back to the Starks. 

I can see Oath Keeper becoming a sword like Dawn is to the Daynes in that it is not passed down from ruler to heir of the house but to a "Knight" (or in the Starks case family member or servant) of House Stark who is deemed worthy and who has sworn a oath to House Stark, hence "Oath Keeper".

Widow's Wail on the other hand can be then passed on from Father to Son of the ruling branch.... But I think for that to be achieved they would have to rename it from Widow's Wail to something else and possibly modify the look of the sword. I remember reading somewhere that the original Ice would have been too be to be used in battle so hence the size of Widow's Wail would be perfect for use in any future battles.

Perhaps both Oathkeeper and Widow's wail will become the possesions of another family than Stark or Lannister? It does not need to belong to a specific family. The swords could find new owners.

I could see widow's wail coming into the possesion of fAegon, and later into Daenerys possesion. If all the Jon+Daenerys hype plays out in ASOIAF cannon, then Widow's Wail may come into Jon Snows possesion thru Daenerys. Oathkeeper i could see become the possesion of House Tarth, Lannister, Stark.

Archived