Exercise and Fitness: bro science debunked

Iskaral Pust

So it’s been 2 weeks, kept to my 1600 calories a day - no cheat days, not even craving chocolate or snacks. I’m DEFINITELY fitter already. I need to remind myself that this a long term thing and losing a pound or two a week is excellent and not to expect more. I definitely feel more comfortable and connected to my body in a way I haven’t got a very long time. I’m in this for the long haul I suppose lol. 

Returning to the earlier dieting to drink beer conversation. One of my favourite times was when my job had me cycling an hour each way, and allowed me an hour at lunchtime to do weights in the gym. I could drink whatever I goddamn pleased and stay relatively trim. 

My shins started hurting during my jog yesterday. I've had them ache before, but that was the first time I thought it was painful. The google diagnosis doesn't look good (shin splints) but self diagnosis is always exaggerated. I'm not keen on getting an MRI just to be sure though, especially since treatment is just resting. Does anyone have any experience?

Yesterday was my first day back in the gym for two weeks or more.  Work and family activities have kept me very busy, plus the prior weekend I had a slight strain in a back muscle.  It went well (shoulder press & pull-ups) but now I need to get back into a routine.

9 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

My shins started hurting during my jog yesterday. I've had them ache before, but that was the first time I thought it was painful. The google diagnosis doesn't look good (shin splints) but self diagnosis is always exaggerated. I'm not keen on getting an MRI just to be sure though, especially since treatment is just resting. Does anyone have any experience?

I've had shin splints a couple times before, both when I'd just started running, and right after I took a 6 month break due to a knee injury. If they're not too bad you might be able to back off the mileage for a few weeks and run through the discomfort. But if they're really bad take a couple weeks off and start up again slowly.

If it is shin splints it's really common, and shouldn't be a game changer. Just the legs adapting to the stress being put on them, and a signal you're perhaps pushing the mileage a little too hard too quickly.

9 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Shin splints are incredibly common. It's not something I would worry about too much right away.* Try resting to see if that helps, stretching, toe taps, etc. One thing that helped me a lot was going up a size in my running shoes.

*I don't want to encourage anyone to not see a medical professional for injuries, I'm just offering my perspective on what my own personal level of self-diagnosis/treatment comfort would be.

1 hour ago, Impmk2 said:

I've had shin splints a couple times before, both when I'd just started running, and right after I took a 6 month break due to a knee injury. If they're not too bad you might be able to back off the mileage for a few weeks and run through the discomfort. But if they're really bad take a couple weeks off and start up again slowly.

If it is shin splints it's really common, and shouldn't be a game changer. Just the legs adapting to the stress being put on them, and a signal you're perhaps pushing the mileage a little too hard too quickly.

Thanks. I don't think its the mileage though, I've been on the same distance for about a month although the ratio of running to walking might have increased. It might have been my old pair of shoes that was worn out or maybe its the new pair of shoes possibly changing the way I run. I seem to be going faster and also getting tired much quicker despite trying to keep the same pace as before.

1 hour ago, Starkess said:

Shin splints are incredibly common. It's not something I would worry about too much right away.* Try resting to see if that helps, stretching, toe taps, etc. One thing that helped me a lot was going up a size in my running shoes.

*I don't want to encourage anyone to not see a medical professional for injuries, I'm just offering my perspective on what my own personal level of self-diagnosis/treatment comfort would be.

Thanks. I've had bad experience with MRIs. X-Rays are done on the day itself, but I had to get a referral and then wait a rather long time for an MRI. At which point I'd probably have been sufficiently rested anyway. I'm opposed to self medicating, but if the treatment is just rest either way, I don't see much of a point unless it persists.

My current pair of shoes are a size down but I don't feel any discomfort and I only realised as I was throwing out my previous pair. I hope that this isn't the cause. :bang:

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Lost 11.5 pounds from eating healthier and exercising more! Feeling great! I’m taking it slowly in terms of weight loss goals - this is a long term thing. 

Congrats!! I think this calls for an inspirational montage:

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I’ve never seen a Rocky film *hides face* OR Rambo :o 

You are not a True American. Yeah, I know, you are a Brit.

Almost at 190 here, so I lost about 30 pounds.

Some general advice. Don't panic if you don't lose weight in 7 days. You want to see 10 days at a minimum. I went through a panic over this several times during this process. It looked like I wasn't losing weight by the scale, and I thought I had reached the much dreaded plateau. But then a bunch of weight goes off all at once, or so it appears. 

Now at the point where I have to find new pants, which is a problem, but a good one to have. 

Also, I'm awed that you can do this exercise stuff. 

9 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I’ve never seen a Rocky film *hides face* OR Rambo :o 

Don't go and see them now. You just got into the habit of exercising, sitting on a couch for 10 (-ish) movies might derail you. :D 

Great job on the weight loss! :thumbsup: The same goes for @Martell Spy, of course.

Run my first 10k race since last August on Sunday, and first after returning to trainings from knee injury. It felt pretty good actually. My objective was to do it in less than 50 minutes and I did (so what that only by a mere few seconds?).

It's still about 2 minutes slower than my last year's pb, but now I have confidence I'm going to make it sooner or later, if I stay out of injuries.

A few months back I posted about how I'd gotten down to 225ish after being up in the 260s a year prior to that (I'm 6' 3'' for reference) via mostly elliptical, biking and a slightly better diet but felt like maybe I was plateauing/still needed to lose another 15ish lbs.

Since then I've started running (up to 4 miles a day now) and have cut sugary drinks out of my diet, as well as mayo and ranch on sandwiches (using a lot more avocados instead). Weigh about 210 currently so I guess I hit my down 15 pounds goal but I still feel like I could afford to a lose another 5 or 10. Regardless, was pretty cool looking back at that post and seeing I've come along.

1 hour ago, RenlyIsNotRight said:

A few months back I posted about how I'd gotten down to 225ish after being up in the 260s a year prior to that (I'm 6' 3'' for reference) via mostly elliptical, biking and a slightly better diet but felt like maybe I was plateauing/still needed to lose another 15ish lbs.

Since then I've started running (up to 4 miles a day now) and have cut sugary drinks out of my diet, as well as mayo and ranch on sandwiches (using a lot more avocados instead). Weigh about 210 currently so I guess I hit my down 15 pounds goal but I still feel like I could afford to a lose another 5 or 10. Regardless, was pretty cool looking back at that post and seeing I've come along.

Way to go!  Down 50 is no joke.  I did that a few years back and you become a different person.

I'm currently down to 200 from 215 after 7 weeks of keto and 2 days a week of exercise that I can carve out for myself.  Another 15 to go, but I don't think I'll have much issue hitting my goal.

Well I went on a 15 mile walk yesterday, predominantly hiking on the coastal trail. My body is in pain today and I didn’t wear the right socks so my feet are screaming but I also love this feeling. That I’ve used my body and it’s tired because it’s walked me 15 miles up and down hills. I think that’s so cool. I was dancing tonight and can already feel how much stronger my body is. I’ve hated my body for so long without doing anything about it and I’m so glad that I’ve finally kicked myself up the butt and started making changes. 

On 4/23/2019 at 10:36 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Well I went on a 15 mile walk yesterday, predominantly hiking on the coastal trail. My body is in pain today and I didn’t wear the right socks so my feet are screaming but I also love this feeling. That I’ve used my body and it’s tired because it’s walked me 15 miles up and down hills. I think that’s so cool. I was dancing tonight and can already feel how much stronger my body is. I’ve hated my body for so long without doing anything about it and I’m so glad that I’ve finally kicked myself up the butt and started making changes. 

Its a wonderful feeling to be tired from exercise rather than the lethargy induced by depression and other mental illness. I’m very happy for you, and congrats on the progress!

Archived