Exercise and Fitness: bro science debunked

Iskaral Pust

On 5/7/2019 at 4:28 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I’m struggling to decide which is the greater feat of athleticism:

I've done the second one with a physio when rehabbing my knee after surgery (using a ball rather than those weird stick things), I think it's a fairly standard thing to do when working on balance and stability. So, yeah, the first one.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I've done the second one with a physio when rehabbing my knee after surgery (using a ball rather than those weird stick things), I think it's a fairly standard thing to do when working on balance and stability. So, yeah, the first one.

Did you watch with audio? The sticks have three different colors and the trainer calls out which color to grab after he throws them. Extra wrinkle that makes it super hard.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Did you watch with audio? The sticks have three different colors and the trainer calls out which color to grab after he throws them. Extra wrinkle that makes it super hard.

Oh, ok, fair enough. I still think the first one is significantly more impressive.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Oh, ok, fair enough. I still think the first one is significantly more impressive.

I kind of stuck between the former looking more impressive while the latter might actually be harder. I think that if I really wanted to I could train to do the first one, but I have little faith in myself that I could ever execute the second one, and that guy is training for a position in a sport I used to play and was really good at (at least through the HS level).

Lost 16 pounds in 6 weeks. A whole lot fitter, I was walking along high moors and hills yesterday and running half of it easily uphill without losing too much breath. Still aiming to eventually lose another 16 or so pounds so I’m halfway to my goal which is awesome. But I’m in no rush - it’s gonna happen because I’m working towards it happening - but not overnight and that’s cool. 

I think I almost feel comfortable enough to start going to the gym or join a running club.

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Lost 16 pounds in 6 weeks. A whole lot fitter, I was walking along high moors and hills yesterday and running half of it easily uphill without losing too much breath. Still aiming to eventually lose another 16 or so pounds so I’m halfway to my goal which is awesome. But I’m in no rush - it’s gonna happen because I’m working towards it happening - but not overnight and that’s cool. 

I think I almost feel comfortable enough to start going to the gym or join a running club.

awesome, congrats!

18 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I can imagine myself with enough practice doing the second one, I could never achieve the first.  Both seem super pointless though.  There are so many people who commit such huge time and resources to trivial shit, its amazing we ever thrived as a species (or by thriving as a species it gave people the time to do pointless shit).

18 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I can imagine myself with enough practice doing the second one, I could never achieve the first.  Both seem super pointless though.  There are so many people who commit such huge time and resources to trivial shit, its amazing we ever thrived as a species (or by thriving as a species it gave people the time to do pointless shit).

The first one is a pointless, look at me, exercise. I can see some value in the second one though. Kamara is an elite running back, and that drill is designed to test your balance and eye sight, which is key for a RB.  

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

The first one is a pointless, look at me, exercise. I can see some value in the second one though. Kamara is an elite running back, and that drill is designed to test your balance and eye sight, which is key for a RB.  

I thought it was just some gym douche showing off.

40 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I meant it in a fairly serious fashion.  I am semi-addicted to lifting at the moment.  It is easily more emotionally taxing for me to not go to the gym than to go.  

My mistake.

I thought you were being ironic. Using the word, "weak" when talking about something that requires strength.

Been in the same situation, went to the gym knowing i shouldnt, ended up sidelined for about two years and havent felt fully recovered (dont think ill ever be fully recovered, but almost) until recently, and its been five years now. I acctually posted in an iteration of this thread that going was a bad idea before i went. :D 

Down nearly 20 lbs today, not exactly 'lean', but comfortable in my clothes and body.  Today starts my summer schedule of 4 softball games a week plus tournaments.  Only getting to the gym once a week w/ the baby though.  Glad to get there that much.

On 5/13/2019 at 4:04 PM, aceluby said:

Down nearly 20 lbs today, not exactly 'lean', but comfortable in my clothes and body.  Today starts my summer schedule of 4 softball games a week plus tournaments.  Only getting to the gym once a week w/ the baby though.  Glad to get there that much.

20 in one day sounds extreme...

But seriously, been thinking about buying a squat rack for the basement.  That and the right sort of mat, as long as I can squat and deadlift, my back feels so much better.  It's got to be doable for less than $500 right?

On 4/18/2019 at 11:34 AM, RenlyIsNotRight said:

A few months back I posted about how I'd gotten down to 225ish after being up in the 260s a year prior to that (I'm 6' 3'' for reference) via mostly elliptical, biking and a slightly better diet but felt like maybe I was plateauing/still needed to lose another 15ish lbs.

Since then I've started running (up to 4 miles a day now) and have cut sugary drinks out of my diet, as well as mayo and ranch on sandwiches (using a lot more avocados instead). Weigh about 210 currently so I guess I hit my down 15 pounds goal but I still feel like I could afford to a lose another 5 or 10. Regardless, was pretty cool looking back at that post and seeing I've come along.

Now down to 207. Last time I was this thin was at least 3 years ago now.

Still doesn't feel like enough haha. Think I'm gonna see if I can't try to get under 200 - last time I weighed under 200 I was probably 20 and I was hanging in the upper 190s while swimming. But we'll see I guess. Pretty proud of myself regardless though.

I feel like a dodged a bullet last night. My knee felt a little funny while stretching, and during my warm up run I heard a staggering loud pop in my knee. It didn’t hurt at first, but within a few minutes I couldn’t put weight on it. I laid down for about 10 minutes, started stretching, got up and was just fine for the most part and was able to workout for another hour or so. I took it easy to be safe, but I feel absolutely fine this morning.   

Archived