Sign in to follow this  
Iskaral Pust

Exercise and Fitness: bro science debunked

On 5/5/2019 at 5:56 PM, Triskele said:

That exercise is questionnable as a weight loss strategy does seem to be the current thinking.

Yep, although as with most nutrition/fitness science, it's not very clear cut. A recent study found that increased activity seems to help maintain weight loss. I think there was a similar finding with The Biggest Loser contestants--successfully maintaining the weight loss didn't correlate with decreased intake but did with increased activity, although don't have a link for that atm.

Conclusions

The high levels of  [physical activity energy expenditure] PAEE and [total daily energy expenditure] TDEE observed in individuals maintaining a substantial weight loss (−26.2 ± 9.8 kg maintained for 9.0 ± 10.2 years) suggest that this group relies on high levels of energy expended in physical activity to remain in energy balance (and avoid weight regain) at a reduced body weight.

So the other day at the gym there was guy doing deadlifts.  He put clamps on the bar to get the plates as close as possible to the end of the bar.

My initial thought was that this was a meathead who just thinks bending the bar more is cooler.  But is there an actual practical reason to do this?  Only thing i can come up with a bigger bend might somehow improve grip but thats probably a stretch.

@Triskele

Whether it is tennis or golfer's elbow you have, it is a bitch. Tendons take time to sort out. A phyiso can possibly speed things up (dry needling was a good suggestion up above, I've certainly had good experiences with it) but what you really need is to rehab.

As someone who once had both problems at the same time (yes, same arm), I was asked to buy a Simien (sp?) Twist Bar by my physio. He then picked out five or six exercises I should focus on and over time I recovered. It took time though, maybe because I chose to continue working out but, really, tendons are always tricky so I'm not sure it would have gotten better any faster even if I had taken rest. I do remember there was a period when I just couldn't curl or chin-up without squealing like a pig and I used one of those tennis elbow braces for the exercies that hurt most and I could get through them. 

13 hours ago, Triskele said:

On the exercise as a weight loss tool thing, just my own little anecdote, I find it hard to puzzle out.  The reason is that I've tended to eb and flow between healthy mode and unhealthy mode, and when I'm in healthy mode I'm both exercising and eating better.  

I think this is a really key point when it comes to motivation. I don't think exercising (ie cardio) is all that useful for weight loss, mainly because it burns so few calories and how often you'd need to do it to see a real benefit. But in terms of how it makes you think about yourself its really good for keeping the idea of you being a fit person in your head. And fit people don't eat junk.. so you tend to eat healthier. 

On 5/5/2019 at 11:56 PM, Triskele said:

I see to have developed a weird injury in my left forearm, and it's frustrating that it's not that easy to say what or exactly where it is.  I think that it might be lifter's elbow, but I'm not `100% sure.  It's much more noticeable with pull lifts than push lifts.  I could give up bicep curls pretty easily and be happy, but I'd hate to have to cut back on back day too much.  I play guitar as a hobby and really notice it there too like to the point that I pretty much can't play.  A spot within my arm gets super exausted quickly around the injury, and this never happened before.  

I had a very similar injury recently, I thought it was some sort of tear on the front of my elbow and forearm, because it hurt like dickens when I twisted my arm around. Its taken about 6 months to feel better, but its almost back to normal now. I've gotten so many injuries in the last year that its made me realise the importance of warming up before working out, something I'm pretty bad at.

Exercise can be used as a weight maintenance tool but it comes nowhere close to diet when it comes to weight loss. Anyone who wants to lose material weight should focus on diet. And that diet should be realistic and sustainable in order for it to stick as a lifestyle adjusment. Avoid crash dieting - unless for medical reasons - as people typically gain back the losses within 12-18 months.

14 hours ago, mcbigski said:

So the other day at the gym there was guy doing deadlifts.  He put clamps on the bar to get the plates as close as possible to the end of the bar.

My initial thought was that this was a meathead who just thinks bending the bar more is cooler.  But is there an actual practical reason to do this?  Only thing i can come up with a bigger bend might somehow improve grip but thats probably a stretch.

He put clamps on the inside of the weights?  Obviously Luke is the expert on deadlifts, but I can't think of a reason I would want the weight farther out on the bar - if i want a more challenging lift then I'd just add more weight rather than artificially making it harder.

@Triskele- one thing I've learned with the tendonitis is don't "do nothing", it might be minimal activity but keeping it moving through mobility, light exercises and daily use will help.  But definitely do go see someone qualified about it.

I’m struggling to decide which is the greater feat of athleticism:

On 5/7/2019 at 4:28 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I’m struggling to decide which is the greater feat of athleticism:

I've done the second one with a physio when rehabbing my knee after surgery (using a ball rather than those weird stick things), I think it's a fairly standard thing to do when working on balance and stability. So, yeah, the first one.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I've done the second one with a physio when rehabbing my knee after surgery (using a ball rather than those weird stick things), I think it's a fairly standard thing to do when working on balance and stability. So, yeah, the first one.

Did you watch with audio? The sticks have three different colors and the trainer calls out which color to grab after he throws them. Extra wrinkle that makes it super hard.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Did you watch with audio? The sticks have three different colors and the trainer calls out which color to grab after he throws them. Extra wrinkle that makes it super hard.

Oh, ok, fair enough. I still think the first one is significantly more impressive.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Oh, ok, fair enough. I still think the first one is significantly more impressive.

I kind of stuck between the former looking more impressive while the latter might actually be harder. I think that if I really wanted to I could train to do the first one, but I have little faith in myself that I could ever execute the second one, and that guy is training for a position in a sport I used to play and was really good at (at least through the HS level).

Lost 16 pounds in 6 weeks. A whole lot fitter, I was walking along high moors and hills yesterday and running half of it easily uphill without losing too much breath. Still aiming to eventually lose another 16 or so pounds so I’m halfway to my goal which is awesome. But I’m in no rush - it’s gonna happen because I’m working towards it happening - but not overnight and that’s cool. 

I think I almost feel comfortable enough to start going to the gym or join a running club.

Edited by Theda Baratheon

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Lost 16 pounds in 6 weeks. A whole lot fitter, I was walking along high moors and hills yesterday and running half of it easily uphill without losing too much breath. Still aiming to eventually lose another 16 or so pounds so I’m halfway to my goal which is awesome. But I’m in no rush - it’s gonna happen because I’m working towards it happening - but not overnight and that’s cool. 

I think I almost feel comfortable enough to start going to the gym or join a running club.

awesome, congrats!

18 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I can imagine myself with enough practice doing the second one, I could never achieve the first.  Both seem super pointless though.  There are so many people who commit such huge time and resources to trivial shit, its amazing we ever thrived as a species (or by thriving as a species it gave people the time to do pointless shit).

18 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I can imagine myself with enough practice doing the second one, I could never achieve the first.  Both seem super pointless though.  There are so many people who commit such huge time and resources to trivial shit, its amazing we ever thrived as a species (or by thriving as a species it gave people the time to do pointless shit).

The first one is a pointless, look at me, exercise. I can see some value in the second one though. Kamara is an elite running back, and that drill is designed to test your balance and eye sight, which is key for a RB.  

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

The first one is a pointless, look at me, exercise. I can see some value in the second one though. Kamara is an elite running back, and that drill is designed to test your balance and eye sight, which is key for a RB.  

I thought it was just some gym douche showing off.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I thought it was just some gym douche showing off.

Don't get me wrong, he has posted videos to show off, but he is a freak:

Went for a run today. My shin felt okay, still had some pain, but it was very slight, brief and only for about four times. I guess another week of rest should do it.

20 hours ago, Triskele said:

I was too weak to stay away from doing a pull day despite my issues with the elbow, so tonight I did the following:

Was this joke intentional?

Either way, I chuckled.

Edited by A True Kaniggit

40 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I meant it in a fairly serious fashion.  I am semi-addicted to lifting at the moment.  It is easily more emotionally taxing for me to not go to the gym than to go.  

My mistake.

I thought you were being ironic. Using the word, "weak" when talking about something that requires strength.