Mapping ASOIF characters by D&D alignment

Brazenburn

For those who aren't familiar with the system, it essentially breaks a person's "alignment", or personal moral and ethical code, onto two axes: Law/Chaos and Good/Evil, with neutral measures in between those extremes.

I was wondering how people would align characters in such a morally ambiguous setting according to the alignment system.

Here's some to start with:

Ned, Jon, Brienne: Lawful Good

Varys, Tyrion, Bronn: Neutral

The Mountain, Joffrey, Ramsay: Chaotic Evil

I always loved the chaotic good category. Sadly, I don’t see many such in Westeros.

A lot of chaotic evil, or chaotic neutral in Westeros. And the heroes tend to be lawful good, like Ned and Jon and Robb. Which is fairly boring.

Arya is the closest to chaotic good in my book. She follows no law but her own will, but she is on the side of good, slaying evil doers at will. 

Not many others in that category come to mind, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

I always loved the chaotic good category. Sadly, I don’t see many such in Westeros.

A lot of chaotic evil, or chaotic neutral in Westeros. And the heroes tend to be lawful good, like Ned and Jon and Robb. Which is fairly boring.

Arya is the closest to chaotic good in my book. She follows no law but her own will, but she is on the side of good, slaying evil doers at will. 

Not many others in that category come to mind, unfortunately.

Dany for sure.

2 hours ago, Brazenburn said:

For those who aren't familiar with the system, it essentially breaks a person's "alignment", or personal moral and ethical code, onto two axes: Law/Chaos and Good/Evil, with neutral measures in between those extremes.

I was wondering how people would align characters in such a morally ambiguous setting according to the alignment system.

Ned and Brienne may be Lawful Good, but Jon is certainly not.  He is not a follower of rules.  He gives in to his own desires and he is an oathbreaker to boot.  Nor does his actions necessarily lead to good.  His efforts to get his sister away from Ramsay caused major problems at the Wall.  And it happened at the worst time possible.  

35 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Ned and Brienne may be Lawful Good, but Jon is certainly not.  He is not a follower of rules.  He gives in to his own desires and he is an oathbreaker to boot.  Nor does his actions necessarily lead to good.  His efforts to get his sister away from Ramsay caused major problems at the Wall.  And it happened at the worst time possible.  

I think Jon is LG, but he thinks in the long term rather than being detail-oriented. Most of his early oathbreaking (Ygritte, killing Qhorin Halfhand, marching with the wildlings) was in order to preserve the Watch and the ideals it stands for. And he was actually following orders to do so.

That said, I'll concede the point about preparing to fight Ramsay. That also proved his downfall, and I'm praying GGRM doesn't succumb to the temptation to resurrect him.

I would agree that Jon is neutral good, not lawful. Undermines allister, breaks oath after pink letter, etc. for chaotic good: mance, Jaime, Tyrion, brotherhood without banners, rhaegar, Dany, bloodraven, Arya, Margery tyrell, o’lenna, oberyn and Jorah to name a few

29 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:
58 minutes ago, the Other Wolf said:

I thought it was Dungeons and Dragons.

Then I apologize to Angel.

I get a LOT frustrated with those that have a problem with us that only want postings about books on the books only forum. 

I never played D&D. Most times D&D is mentioned here; they are refering to GOT.

I had just replied to someone complaining that the "books only" (me) folks only want the books discussed here. So since I was already in a mood, it set me off when I assumed GOT.

Thanks for the clarification.

With that said,

Please only post ASOIAF here.

On 10/10/2018 at 9:54 AM, Brazenburn said:

Ned and Brienne are Lawful Good; Jon is more Neutral Good (breaks too many rules)

Tyrion is Lawful Neutral trending toward Neutral Good; Bronn is Neutral; and Varys is too much of a mystery to even judge.

Gregor and Ramsay are definitely Chaotic Evil; Joffrrey is closer to Neutral Evil.

Others:

Arya - Chaotic Good sliding toward chaotic neutral.

Sansa - Lawful Good

Tywin - Lawful Evil

Stannis - Lawful Neutral

Cersei - Neutral Evil

Daenerys - Chaotic Good (I think)

Sandor - Chaotic Neutral (beginning)/ Chaotic Good (now)

Theon and Jaime - no idea whatsoever

1 hour ago, the Other Wolf said:

Then I apologize to Angel.

I get a LOT frustrated with those that have a problem with us that only want postings about books on the books only forum. 

I never played D&D. Most times D&D is mentioned here; they are refering to GOT.

I had just replied to someone complaining that the "books only" (me) folks only want the books discussed here. So since I was already in a mood, it set me off when I assumed GOT.

Thanks for the clarification.

With that said,

Please only post ASOIAF here.

Well, I know that D&D means the producers of Game of Thrones. I was surprised to see them here. 

On 10/15/2018 at 11:11 PM, Aegon VII said:

I would agree that Jon is neutral good, not lawful. Undermines allister, breaks oath after pink letter, etc. for chaotic good: mance, Jaime, Tyrion, brotherhood without banners, rhaegar, Dany, bloodraven, Arya, Margery tyrell, o’lenna, oberyn and Jorah to name a few

Your list of chaotic good made me laugh. I agree with Dany. 

Jaime in GoT was closer to chaotic evil. He's heading to lawful neutral. 

Tyrion's neutral. 

Bloodraven could be anything, but his spymaster status, murder, and rumored magic use point more towards evil. 

I'd say someone like Catelyn falls into the chaotic good category. 

Hodor is perfect for neutral. 

On 10/15/2018 at 4:02 PM, the Other Wolf said:

D&D as in GOT?

Wrong thread. This is ASOIAF.  BOOKS ONLY!

Why is THIS so fucking hard to comprehend! 

I meant Dungeons and Dragons, an RPG from the late eighties that is still popular today. It popularized the alignment system used as a thought experiment here.

I never knew it referred to something in GoT, my apologies for the confusion. I've never even watched the show.

4 hours ago, Brazenburn said:

I meant Dungeons and Dragons, an RPG from the late eighties that is still popular today. It popularized the alignment system used as a thought experiment here.

I never knew it referred to something in GoT, my apologies for the confusion. I've never even watched the show.

No need to apologize for my assumption.

I saw D&D and assumed GOT producers.

I was the ass in the assumption.

My apologies.

Lawful Good = Barristan Selmy, Missandei,  and Ned Stark.  They follow the law and are basically good men.

Chaotic Good = Daenerys Targaryen, Samwell Tarly, and Brienne of Tarth.  They have enough flexibility to break gender barriers and fight against injustice.  They still want to make their world a better place.  

Chaotic Neutral = Jon Snow, Brandon Stark, Robb Stark, Pycelle, and Varys.  They have their ideologies and are willing to break oaths for personal fulfillment.  Jon certainly created chaos at the wall for his sister.  Varys wants to create chaos to help Aegon.

Neutral = Sansa Stark, Strong Belwas, The Unsullied, Tyrion Lannister, Bran Stark, Jorah Mormont, and Catelyn Stark

Lawful Evil = Tywin Lannister

Neutral Evil = Roose Bolton, Theon Stark, Petyr Baelish, Bronn, Sandor Clegane, Hizdahr Zo Loraq, Daario Naharis, Khal Drogo, and Wayman Manderly.

Chaotic Evil = Arya Stark, Jaime Lannister, Cersei Lannister, and Theon Greyjoy

Some more Lawful Evil types = Kraznys Mo Naklos, Jaqen Hagar, and Xaro Xaon Daxos.

More Chaotic Neutral = Arrianne Martell, Daemon the rogue prince, and Ygritte

Additional Neutral Evil = Oberyn Martell

Other Chaotic Evil = Ramsay Snow and Mance Rayder

Last but not least, one more Lawful Good = Qhorin The Halfhand

On 10/10/2018 at 11:54 AM, Brazenburn said:

Jon is to much a rebel to be lawful good, should be neutral good.

Archived