Haircuts

A True Kaniggit

We need something new to discuss. So haircuts.

So what do you do? A barber shop? A beauty salon? Do you get the basic trim or go for something special?

Personally I have my own electric razor and I shave my head down to a quarter inch every 3 months or so. (Though it is currently waaaaay overdue. I've been babysitting my younger brother's cat and the little bastard chewed my charger in half (the cat, not my brother). I've yet to buy a new one) Figure with what I'd be paying in tips I must be saving myself at least $40 a year. Also I don't have to fake small talk with someone who all I want to do is make my hair presentable as quickly as possible so I can leave.

Also any crazy stories that might have happened while getting a haircut.

Is this specifically men? Cos I would think that changes the question quite considerably. Even when I had haircuts (I'm balding now,) I don't think I've ever paid more than £15.

I cut my hair at home, keeping it pretty short. There's no point paying for something that simple, though I do kind of miss the way barber shops smelled (is that weird?)

11 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

I get a trim once a year to get rid of split ends/tidy it a bit and I shave the sides (undercut) myself like once a month. I have very long hair (down to my ass) so I don't really change much.

See, I'd never be able to pull this off. I think my hair almost reached 2 inches of length at one time. Before I viciously cut it down.

9 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

1) Is this specifically men? Cos I would think that changes the question quite considerably.

2) though I do kind of miss the way barber shops smelled (is that weird?)

1) Nah. Anyone can answer. This thread title is just a generic placeholder until a better one presents itself. Discussion of hair upkeep without major cutting is perfectly fine.

2) Absolutely no.

I went through a period of cutting my own hair and then I went to the hairdresser regularly to get a bob cut & to dye it black (watched too much pulp fiction) and then 2 years ago I shaved all my hair off and did it again a few months later - and since February 2017 I’ve barely cut it - I’ve had it cut twice I think and that was mostly just to bleach it blonde. Now I haven’t had it cut in moooonths, dyed by it back to brown at home and I’m just seeing how long it will actually grow. Hair has always been a weird one for me - I’ve done so much ridiculous stuff to mine and it always grows back in the end :p now it’s past my shoulders so I’m making progress 

used to always have either a pixie or a short and harsh bob cut 

I go every 8 weeks or so to keep it tidy-ish.

I dread it though because I don’t like the small talk and barbers invariably ask me about football, which I don’t watch.

My best experience was in Paris, where I lived for 6 1/2 months. A friend of mine recommended a quiet barbers in the 15th (I lived in the 14th), where two older gentlemen cut peoples hair without small talk and actually washed your hair in one of those bowl things, which was a completely alien but actually really nice experience. Only cost €16 as well, in central Paris!

4 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

I get a trim once a year to get rid of split ends/tidy it a bit and I shave the sides (undercut) myself like once a month. I have very long hair (down to my ass) so I don't really change much.

I thought you were supposed to get it cut every three months or so, regardless of length for that reason alone.

Granted I know nothing about hair care. Until recently I always kept mine short, and now I find myself wondering what kind of products I’m supposed to buy.

The 2nd best thing* about going bald is that I no longer have the hassle and expense of barbershop visits. 

*Best thing is I now get to shrug my shoulders at windy/rainy days. I have a male co-worker who gets flustered and starts scrambling for an umbrella anytime it sprinkles a little. He's 60 years old and still has a full head of hair. I feel no sympathy toward his plight. :P  

44 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I thought you were supposed to get it cut every three months or so, regardless of length for that reason alone.

Granted I know nothing about hair care. Until recently I always kept mine short, and now I find myself wondering what kind of products I’m supposed to buy.

Probably but my hair is in pretty good condition so I don't pay for haircuts until I have to.

I've always been blessed with thick, healthy hair, so I pay the minimum currently that I can to get a simple style and have done with it.  It's below my shoulders, but I normally wear it in a French twist or a ponytail lately.  With the cold weather finally arriving, I'll wear it down more. 

I used to pay outrageous amounts out in California for a professional stylist, but I really don't think it looked any better then than it does now.

I used to pay outrageous sums to a hairdresser downtown and I finally got sick and tired of paying out all that money. I found a decent hairdresser at the local mall and after a while her prices kept leaping up, but since I could walk there or drive and park for free and not stress out in traffic that was ok.

But three years ago she warned me in early November to book an appointment during the holidays because she’d get booked up, so I made an appointment a few days before Christmas for a trim and to dye my hair. I got there for the appointment and she told me she was running behind. I said not to worry. Turned out she took someone just before me and expected me to wait two hours. I thought she was just finishing that woman’s haircut but she was just started. I waited over and hour and in fury finally left and never went back. I felt she really took advantage of my easy going nature - she had commented to me before about how bitchy some women got if they didn’t like what she did, and I was never upset if something didn’t go perfectly. Hey, it’s hair, it grows back!

I tried a few different local spots and it’s damn hard to get a good hairdresser. Finally in the following September I wandered into a dumpy looking Portuguese salon and found someone who does a nice job on my hair. Only botched my hair once. Not great on colour, so I’ll have to find someone else if a special occasion comes up. 

I try to get my hair cut every 6 weeks but it doesn't always work out that way.

Last fall, just after Thanksgiving, I woke up one morning and decided I couldn't stand my hair a minute longer, so I told my boyfriend I was going to get a haircut. I didn't tell him I was cutting it all off. The poor man almost had a heart attack. I've been trimming it on schedule, so I can just about get it into a ponytail again.

I color my own hair. I refuse to pay salon prices for something I can do myself. Many of my friends went to cosmetology school and I was always their guinea pig, even when one of them tried to bleach my hair blond 3 months before senior prom and completely fried it. I practically had to have a crew cut to get that out. 

My hair is red, and for years I tried to hide it because it wasn't the in thing. Now that I want it back, the red is fading and will eventually turn white. I'm lucky...I'm almost 50 and if the worst that happens is that it fades, I won't complain about it.  So, I use henna and lemon juice on it. It brightens it and makes the faded tones a red gold color. No harsh chemicals, and it stays in for a really long time. I do my roots once a month and an all over every 2-3 months. Total cost: $13.95 (with shipping) for 6 months worth. 

My haircut looks like Chris Hemsworth in Thor Ragnarok, but indefinably more boring/generic and generally less handsome.  And it has looked like that since university, long before Thor came along to make it cool.

I go to a franchise barbershop (Floyd's) a couple of blocks from our home.  I go every four weeks and I've just recently started bring my son along with me.  He has formally graduated from the kids cuts place where they had Nintendo to play during the haircut. (now he plays Minecraft on his iPhone instead)

I have a regular stylist, so I need to make appointments in advance.  She does a good job with my simple haircut but challenging hair.  I have very full, thick, wavy, double-crown hair that looks like unkempt shrubbery after five weeks, so I'm pretty disciplined about the frequency of cuts.  I get it buzzed with a #2 blade on the back and sides, and cut on top with some additional length at the front, which I style it with some product for some shape.

I used to go to a fancier salon near my office and pay twice as much, but I get basically the same quality of haircut now.  I've never paid for a really expensive haircut (like $100+) for awesome styling or new creativity.  My current haircut costs $31 (+$15 tip), and $25 (+$10 tip) for my son.

Archived