Haircuts

A True Kaniggit

I have a stylist that I go to that owns her own business.  Every 2 months or so I go in for a full wash and cut which costs $35 plus I throw her a $10 tip.  She keeps interesting conversation, she tells me if an idea is bad, and I've never received a bad haircut.  At this point I just let her do whatever she wants and it always turns out.  After years of going the cheap route at $10 places, hating the cuts, growing it out to obscene lengths, dreads, and more terrible haircuts; going to her and paying a bit more is 100% worth it.  In-between cuts I can go in for a free neck trim as well, where she'll shave the sides down and tidy everything up.  Takes 20 min and I'll throw her 5 or 10 bucks.

It turns out that 2018 is the year of drastical shortening of hair in my general social circle; I got to know quite a few girls who had their hair cut considerably in the past few months. I do not generally follow trends, but I seem to have fallen into this one by coincidence.

I used to have really long hair, past my waist, for a long time, only having the tips cut once a year, if that. I mostly wore a braid for practicality. Then a few months ago I decided it was time to shorten it and had more than half a meter cut off - it was slightly above my shoulders, so I could barely make a short ponytail. Best decision ever - less heat and sweaty hair sticking to the skin in the summer, easier to wash, quicker to dry (I almost never use a hairdryer, just generally let it dry in the air), so much easier to comb, and does not get caught in the straps of a bag/bagpack every time I put it over my shoulder, or in a scarf/coat collar.

Now it is just slightly below my shoulders and I am thinking that I want to shorten it again already, which surprises me - it can't be, I was only at the hairdresser's maybe 5 months ago! I do not have time nor money for such extravagancies in my life! :P

Have a small town barber I go to about every 4 to 5 months. Really reminds me of Floyd's Barbershop in Mayberry. Been going there since I moved here in 2006. Best haircuts I ever got.

In fact, it's past time for me to get a cut. I've been sweating bullets with the humidity we've been having lately and cursing my long hair.

I used to have a mullet but now it's grown out to a full G.L.O.W. shag. I usually get my hair cut once every 2-3 months -- I'm loyal to my stylist because I have difficult (very big) hair and most people can't handle that shit. Also, most stylists are boring AF and I refuse to spend money on people who are creativity-free cowards.

The older I get, the shorter my haircut gets.  I want zero maintenance. I got sick of using hair products in the morning each day, and once the cowlick up front grew out some it was a pain in the ass.  Now I use zero mousse or gel and just go.  I essentially wear a more military style buzzing of the hair. 

I mean, I'm lucky, as both of my younger brothers are thinning and I'm not, so your think I'd want to flaunt it, but I dont want to deal with it...shorter is better.

I've been going to the same hair stylist since 1991.  A woman in my class always had a fabulously cut bob so I asked her who she went to and that was that.  Its really nice to be able to sit down in the chair and not have to give instructions or wonder what my hair will look like at the end.  I vary between going regularly every 8 weeks to letting 6 months pass without a haircut.  I've pretty much had a straight bob most of my adult life, I let him live it up once and give me layers but that was the end of my experimenting.  He doesn't harass me and try to convince me to do something different and he never even brings up changing my hair color or adding highlights because he knows I will say no.  He every now and then tries to torment me by pretending he has found a swath of grey hairs, ha!  Someday it will be true and we will deal with it.  I honestly don't know what I will do when he someday retires.  I hope that is a long time from now.

It's less important WHERE you go and more important WHOM you go to. I generally find a person and stick with them unless they or I move. I've had my hair cut at an expensive salon and it was fine because it was always the same person and he knew what he was doing. These days I go to a lady at Hair Cuttery, and I wouldn't generally expect that to be any good but I make appointments with the same person and she's great. These are probably the best haircuts I've ever had. Her prices go up slightly every few years. I think we are up to $19, plus tip.

I used to go when I remembered to call, which was meant to be monthly or so but I would keep forgetting and it would be six to eight weeks, which was untenable and I looked unkempt. These days I make the next appointment at the end of the one before, for about 4 weeks later. I've considered going more often but 4 weeks is pretty good.

8 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I used to have a mullet but now it's grown out to a full G.L.O.W. shag. I usually get my hair cut once every 2-3 months -- I'm loyal to my stylist because I have difficult (very big) hair and most people can't handle that shit. Also, most stylists are boring AF and I refuse to spend money on people who are creativity-free cowards.

I definitely have always liked this one certain place in Cardiff for creativity - it’s super cheap and quite cool but the downside is you can’t make an appointment so you have to just turn up and sometimes wait an hour or more - with a full time job that isn’t realistic but luckily (for my hair) I didn’t have a full time job because I was always a student. I haven’t lived in Cardiff for 3 years now and I still go to this place when I can. They  dyed my hair all sorts, shaved it all off, shaved half of it off, dyed it all sorts again and always seemed happy with doing something totally crazy with it - I can tell be bothered with boring hairdressers who tell me sometimes might look terrible because although it’s theory job and theyre doing the right thing that will work for mos people who like to have that advice when I get a “hair idea” I just go for it & don’t care if it turns out not great bevause hair grows back lol 

I got the first professional haircut I'd had since childhood last year.  Before that I had very long hair and generally would trim it myself.  Rocked a skullet for awhile, shaved the whole thing, let it from back to shoulder length.  A couple years ago I cut it into a mullet, then cut it really short.  Since i got the pro cut last year I've just been shaving it with a #4 trimmer every two months or so.  Wouldn't mind going and getting it cut professionally but it seems like it takes time and money, two things I'm pretty loathe to part with lately.

The day is approaching when I’m just going to buzz my head, but I’m not quite there yet.  I think I’ve got another few years.

I get a haircut every 6 weeks.  If something important is happening I’ll get my beard professionally trimmed as well, but that is a fairly rare occurrence.  Usually I do that myself and I’ve gotten pretty good at it just by observing what the pros did.  I generally try to keep it reasonable, but it’s crept up on me and gotten out of control a couple of times.  

It’s kinda weird how the hair on the top part of my head is gradually retiring from duty while the hair that grows on my face would be in ZZ Top territory of not for regular trimming.

I get a haircut every 3 or 4 months, generally some weeks after I started feeling I could use one. Which generally gets me back close to the cut I had before, with minor variations depending on hairdresser.

I tend to stick to a place I feel comfortable at, but generally aren't too bothered about the exact hairdresser I get.

I've learned to like to process, from washing to relaxing in the chair moving my head on command, seeing only vague blobs in the mirror since I can't wear my glasses in the process. I am not one for smalltalk, but I haven't had many issues yet.

Growing up my mom cut my hair and it was generally only cut when I wanted a change in length (ie no maintenance trims). I would cycle through growing my hair out really long, getting annoyed with it, and then chopping it off, only to miss my long hair and commence growing it out again. As an adult I have continued this cycle but now I go to a professional to get it done and I've been convinced to trim at least 2-3 times a year, even when I'm growing it out.

For a couple years I paid through the nose to go to a fancy salon, but lately I've been going back to Master Cuts or similar and honestly it's been just as good, especially for trims. I even recently let them do a ~6 inch chop on me. And while I was a little nervous (the lady barely spoke English and did not know what I meant when I said "lob" and had a terrible very 80s hairstyle herself), it turned out fine. I'll probably keep doing that, although probably not that exact location, which was not the cleanest.

I also went pink 2 years ago (exactly from today, as Snapchat reminded me earlier), and at first I got that done at my fancy salon, having never applied bleach to my hair before. But after a couple salon trips I got comfortable enough to give it a shot myself. It's been a learning process for sure, and sometimes it turns out better than others, but I now do my own color (bleach every couple months, not to the roots but sort of a balayage type look, apply pink 1-2 times a month). It is so much cheaper it's not even funny, and I get to spend the processing time watching TV in my undies and not making awkward small talk with someone charging me hundreds of dollars.

I've got some issues with my hair - I've actually only ever had one professional haircut. My mom used to cut my hair (basically entirely at her discretion) when I was a kid. Then it went really curly when I was about 12, got incredibly matted, got all cut off, and then continued being brushed intermittently and mostly residing in a semi-dreadlock roughly shoulder length state (that I would periodically untangle, and thus also conveniently remove a lot of length) for like the next 15 years.

I got an actual haircut at a hairdressers in Burundi in early 2015, I think (mostly as part of this whole crisis thing I went through, so it's still kind of emotionally tied to that. It was bad as an experience but fine, I think, as a haircut. He basically just shortened it a bit.) but also learned at some point afterwards as it grew out again to take, I think, slightly better care of it and discovered that its much nicer if I just don't brush it at all (curly hair, who knew. Someone actually told me my hair 'looked like a shampoo commercial' the other day and it totally threw me.)

So now the stuff is actually getting pretty long and I'm tentatively considering maybe...doing something with it? I'm pretty happy with 'frizzy mop', to be honest, but there is kind of deep fundamental tension (like labour and capital or freedom and society) between length and volume with curly hair, so I occasionally think - maybe there's a hair cut that can make this both easier and...moppier. Then again, is  deliberate moppiness not a betrayal of moppiness? I don't know.

This is not, like, a thing that will happen in the next year, if everst. Probably there's some therapy in the middle. Among other things, I have no idea how to talk to a hairdresser. I'm sure I could figure out the correct order of words to say, intellectually speaking, but actually being willing and able to talk to a stranger about what I want to look like and what their role in that should be...yeah no. The one in Burundi and I had no shared language and I still ended up crying. Just saying.

But its a new thought, haircuts. Sometimes.

My hair is really short and I get a fade like every 10 days or so. I‘m really picky with not seeing any semblance of a line or anything on a fade so it took a few years to find the right barber. But I eventually did and he’s been cutting my hair for a while now. I also like that we’re past the sometimes awkward small talk stage. 

Something that crosses my mind every once in a while- A few years back I would go in as a walk-in customer. So all the barbers there have cut my hair before but I eventually chose the one dude to be my regular. I wonder if the other barbers take that as a slap in the face or anything?

I just go to the local barbers for a £10 haircut every 2-3 weeks. I’v got pretty basic haircut so I’m not too fussed about who does it.

I have to say when I last went and the woman who’s usually sweeping the floor, and not particularly well at that, was cutting my hair I was a little nervous but it was fine.

Fantastic thread! :P

Oh, I love hairdressing, partly because I grew up at a hairdresser's.

So, I love cutting the front part of my hair...on my own. Because I once told the hairdresser and she cut it like super short when I wanted it long....

I love having short hair (as for above the shoulders, below the ears, just enough to wear a small ponytail). Then again, I love it long as well, waist line maximum. I usually wear it long in winter and short in summer.

Right now...I cut it like "season 7 Arya" two months ago, and I had not cut it in an entire year, so...considering how fast it grows (almost 2cm per month (0.7 inches) ) it was more than needed :P.....right now I have the back part on my shoulders and the front part 2 or 3 fingers slightly longer.

I have...if I had to name it like a "long bob", although I usually cut it in pointy ends (like a knife cut), and the part which is near to my face goes the other way around, shorter to longer...meaning it's not exactly like a bob.

It's a little bit like Piper's cut from Charmed, not as exaggerated, though.

I love it. Since I cut my front part personally I only go to the hairdresser so as that they cut the back in a Franchise in which I have to pay no more than 15 euro (17 dollars) maximum.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:39 PM, Buckwheat said:

Best decision ever - less heat and sweaty hair sticking to the skin in the summer, easier to wash, quicker to dry (I almost never use a hairdryer, just generally let it dry in the air), so much easier to comb, and does not get caught in the straps of a bag/bagpack every time I put it over my shoulder, or in a scarf/coat collar.

Now it is just slightly below my shoulders and I am thinking that I want to shorten it again already, which surprises me - it can't be, I was only at the hairdresser's maybe 5 months ago! I do not have time nor money for such extravagancies in my life! :P

Just like I did! I love long hair but in summer I can't wait to shorten it, once short it feels super easy.

I also dry my hair in the air. Just use the hairdryer when it is almost dry a little bit to get rid off the rest of humidity.

11 hours ago, Starkess said:

Growing up my mom cut my hair and it was generally only cut when I wanted a change in length (ie no maintenance trims). I would cycle through growing my hair out really long, getting annoyed with it, and then chopping it off, only to miss my long hair and commence growing it out again. As an adult I have continued this cycle but now I go to a professional to get it done and I've been convinced to trim at least 2-3 times a year, even when I'm growing it out.

For a couple years I paid through the nose to go to a fancy salon, but lately I've been going back to Master Cuts or similar and honestly it's been just as good, especially for trims. I even recently let them do a ~6 inch chop on me. And while I was a little nervous (the lady barely spoke English and did not know what I meant when I said "lob" and had a terrible very 80s hairstyle herself), it turned out fine. I'll probably keep doing that, although probably not that exact location, which was not the cleanest.

I also went pink 2 years ago (exactly from today, as Snapchat reminded me earlier), and at first I got that done at my fancy salon, having never applied bleach to my hair before. But after a couple salon trips I got comfortable enough to give it a shot myself. It's been a learning process for sure, and sometimes it turns out better than others, but I now do my own color (bleach every couple months, not to the roots but sort of a balayage type look, apply pink 1-2 times a month). It is so much cheaper it's not even funny, and I get to spend the processing time watching TV in my undies and not making awkward small talk with someone charging me hundreds of dollars.

Welcome to home hairdressing! :P

I've been doing highlights to myself for years, although it's been....I don't remember much, but maybe almost 1,5 years since I don't do them.

I also did purple highlights once and I still have the product: Crazy Color. It's super funny, but yeah, it has to be bleached. I also did it in blue (a couple of strands).

And yeah, I also did balayage bleaching and dyeing later to the desired blondish tone, and other things some years ago, but on my own, because I thought it was funny. First times were not very succesful, but I learnt of my errors.

It's been months since I thought about highlighting again...but so far I love my natural brown. I'll probably dye it  black for a cosplay soon, so maybe after the event.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:38 AM, Datepalm said:

I've got some issues with my hair - I've actually only ever had one

<cut some good stuff>

But its a new thought, haircuts. Sometimes.

I'd like to say something, Datepalm, and please don't overthink it, but I really do love your posts.  Through some weird set of circumstances, if there was only one boarder whose posts I could ever read, it would be you and yours.

:love: 

Archived