Haircuts

A True Kaniggit

I go to a barbershop once every few weeks. I had a family friend who used to work there recommend one of his co workers to me. I pretty much always get a fade everytime I get my haircut for two main reasons. One, it's far easier to manage than an afro, and two, I have scalp psoriasis, so to keep that under control, I have to keep my hair short.

I thought about trying a groomed beard since they became so fashionable, and my facial hair does seem to grow pretty fully and evenly and with color contrast to my skin tone. 

But my wife hates beards.  At most I allow some deliberate stubble for up to three days when I’m in a casual setting.  Like Jason Statham but still with a full head of hair. 

It has been funny though these past couple of years to watch some guys try growing their beard, only to end up it patchy, fluffy and/or discolored outcomes. 

6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I thought about trying a groomed beard since they became so fashionable, and my facial hair does seem to grow pretty fully and evenly and with color contrast to my skin tone. 

But my wife hates beards.  At most I allow some deliberate stubble for up to three days when I’m in a casual setting.  Like Jason Statham but still with a full head of hair. 

It has been funny though these past couple of years to watch some guys try growing their beard, only to end up it patchy, fluffy and/or discolored outcomes. 

thing is....why are groomed beards so trendy? How did this happen?:P

9 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

thing is....why are groomed beards so trendy? How did this happen?:P

Honestly, I don't know how some of these trends get established.  It is claimed now -- by outlets who need a new trend to trumpet each season -- that women find beards attractively masculine.  And no mention of skin irritation for women kissing those beards.  This gives license to guys who've always wondered whether they can grow a beard and how it would look, or just want to experiment with a different look.

It does remind me of Cryptonomicon and the hypothesis that beards are a symbol of while male privilege.  Surprising in this febrile era of identity politics that no-one is actually making that claim yet.

1 minute ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It does remind me of Cryptonomicon and the hypothesis that beards are a symbol of while male privilege.  Surprising in this febrile era of identity politics that no-one is actually making that claim yet.

Lol I always think of that one as well. Ah, for the days when Stephenson's writing was actually good enough to make those jabs of his funny and effective, rather than just smarmy and self-congratulatory.

Anecdotally, I think beards seem relatively rare in Berkeley (where IIRC the green party got more votes than republicans did). Manbuns on the other hand...those might be a real expressions of male privilege these days.

So I wanted to post something in defence of man buns, because I don't actually think they are terrible and I think they do suit some men, but then I googled for evidence to support my argument and found this and now I don't know what to think anymore.

12 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

So I wanted to post something in defence of man buns, because I don't actually think they are terrible and I think they do suit some men, but then I googled for evidence to support my argument and found this and now I don't know what to think anymore.

Sounds like karma for your anathema position on man buns. 

30 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Oh my! I've seen this kind of accessories for girls....I even have a similar bun hair extension with braids....but never for men :P The trend is still....there, I guess. But this one,  without enough long "girly" hair... it looks super fake:blink:.

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Honestly, I don't know how some of these trends get established.  It is claimed now -- by outlets who need a new trend to trumpet each season -- that women find beards attractively masculine.  And no mention of skin irritation for women kissing those beards.  This gives license to guys who've always wondered whether they can grow a beard and how it would look, or just want to experiment with a different look.

Ah yes, some people from the cosmetics' world must establish them, and yeah, now suddenly are attractive to women, etc.

I don't know, but I think that women don't like (in general terms) woodcutter's beards... I mean, anything but that!!!.... Maybe there is a point in that some women like beards, but I don't think they like those dense more trendy ones.

So today I had this thread on my mind and paid more attention to the men I was seeing. And given the fact that I study in an engineering school where about 70% of the students are male, you get to see lots of things.

Beard is definitely trendy. Lots of beards. And I've not seen many extremely dense/long beards, but well, let's say lots of them, on the point of "becoming that"... I mean, I saw many more than some time ago. Not many stubble styles or similar ones. Curious.

Saw also a couple of manbuns with beards. 

Good point here. I've yet to see someone with other skin colour and dense beards so far...

49 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Good point here. I've yet to see someone with other skin colour and dense beards so far...

Opposite anecdote, the only two men with any facial hair in my circle of colleagues and acquaintances are Middle Eastern and South Asian :dunno:.

To the survey design!

43 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

There are many men of aboriginal descent in Australia and well as quite a few men in India with both dark skin and heavy beards. So that combination, while rarer than others, is far from impossible.

http://www.peoplegroups.org/explore/ClusterDetails.aspx?rop2=C0001

https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/australian-aboriginal-man-gm458075553-19225269

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-bearded-man-in-stare-with-scroll-varanasi-benares-india-13234755.html?pv=1&stamp=2&imageid=5B0487A6-4093-4AE8-BC86-E2CF71EE5AB1&p=21441&n=0&orientation=0&pn=1&searchtype=0&IsFromSearch=1&srch=foo%3dbar%26st%3d0%26pn%3d1%26ps%3d100%26sortby%3d2%26resultview%3dsortbyPopular%26npgs%3d0%26qt%3ddark%20skinned%20male%20half%20body%26qt_raw%3ddark%20skinned%20male%20half%20body%26lic%3d3%26mr%3d0%26pr%3d0%26ot%3d0%26creative%3d%26ag%3d0%26hc%3d0%26pc%3d%26blackwhite%3d%26cutout%3d%26tbar%3d1%26et%3d0x000000000000000000000%26vp%3d0%26loc%3d0%26imgt%3d0%26dtfr%3d%26dtto%3d%26size%3d0xFF%26archive%3d1%26groupid%3d%26pseudoid%3d%26a%3d%26cdid%3d%26cdsrt%3d%26name%3d%26qn%3d%26apalib%3d%26apalic%3d%26lightbox%3d%26gname%3d%26gtype%3d%26xstx%3d0%26simid%3d%26saveQry%3d%26editorial%3d1%26nu%3d%26t%3d%26edoptin%3d%26customgeoip%3d%26cap%3d1%26cbstore%3d1%26vd%3d0%26lb%3d%26fi%3d2%26edrf%3d0%26ispremium%3d1%26flip%3d0

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/bangalore/No-Shave-November-raising-awareness-on-men’s-health/article16710598.ece1

45 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Not saying the countrary, or that these "trends" in them didn't exist much before the current one, just stating what I observe in my surroundings ;)

15 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I don't know if women find beards masculine, I wanted to experiment a bit and change the look I've run with for over 10 years. Since changing my hairstyle was a no-go due to baldness and I find just mustache extremely creepy the only option was growing a beard. So far it's been good. I quite like how it looks, the initial itch went away rather quickly and I like the ritual of washing it, using beard oils and balms and quite enjoy going to the barbers once in a week/tenday.

14 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I'm pretty sure some man buns are to cover bald spots, the modern comb over.

I am yet to see a successful comb over, modern or otherwise.

12 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

So today I had this thread on my mind and paid more attention to the men I was seeing. And given the fact that I study in an engineering school where about 70% of the students are male, you get to see lots of things.

Beard is definitely trendy. Lots of beards. And I've not seen many extremely dense/long beards, but well, let's say lots of them, on the point of "becoming that"... I mean, I saw many more than some time ago. Not many stubble styles or similar ones. Curious.

Don't use engineering students as measure of a modern man. And I say that as someone who was an engineering student once (and for much longer than they should've been). And kudos on having 30% girls/women in engineering classes. We were around 10%, 15% max.

What counts as a long beard? I mean, I'm way past "stubble" but nowhere near what I'd consider a long beard.

Regarding beards and skin colour, I'd second that a lot of Middle-Eastern men and men from India/Pakistan/Bangladesh have pretty cool beards, too.

I usually go to the barber's for a no 2 back and sides,scissors on top artfully tousled with gel for that just out of bed look.

One day I decided to buzz it myself.I'm going a little light at the back but not too bad yet.The way I buzzed it created a huge tonsure-completely bald.

Back to the barber since.No good at DIY.

Archived