Tolkien 3.0

SeanF

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Uh yeah, they were mixed to positive.       Can you actually read?

To clarify, some bad reviews on release does not equal poor scores.

I can read, but can’t you comprehend what you read?

Lord Of The Rings were negative at the beginning, then it started getting positive reviews. 

LotR is in good company: The Grapes of Wrath, The Lord of the FliesMoby-Dick, The Catcher in the RyeThe Great GatsbyOne Hundred Years of Solitude.... quite a lot of important works of literature were, in a sense, ahead of their time, which mean contemporary critics were often baffled or combative.

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

LotR is in good company: The Grapes of Wrath, The Lord of the FliesMoby-Dick, The Catcher in the RyeThe Great GatsbyOne Hundred Years of Solitude.... quite a lot of important works of literature were, in a sense, ahead of their time, which mean contemporary critics were often baffled or combative.

Exactly.  Just because critics didn't like something when it was first released doesn't me the work they criticized is crap.  John Keats was harshly criticized for his work during his lifetime.  Now he's among the greatest of the Romantic Poets.  Why should the critics at the release of a given work of art have more deference than those of us reading the work today?  

@BloodyJollyRoger

13 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh, I know I shouldn't feed this one, but I'm still going to  look this one up...

:P

Edit:.....are you Michael Moorcock by any chance?

Michael Moorcock produced a scathing review of the Lord of the Rings without ever having read it.

13 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Uh yeah, they were mixed to positive.       Can you actually read?

To clarify, some bad reviews on release does not equal poor scores.

Let me say if I had written a novel that received positive reviews in the Sunday Times, and Sunday Telegraph, and praise from the likes of Iris Murdoch, WH Auden, CS Lewis, and Naomi Mitchison, I'd be pretty thrilled.

I could live with being slagged off by Michael Moorcock.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well this guy seems to have issues with both the Witcher and LotR which screams Moorcock fanboy to me. 

He's back-to-front on Moorcock's actual opinion of Tolkien. Moorcock says he considers himself a bad writer with big ideas, but would rather be that than a big writer with bad ideas (clearly a potshot at Tolkien). Our present poster calls Tolkien a bad writer with great ideas... which is closer to how Moorcock sees himself.

Based off Tolkien's famous Foreword (best known for the anti-allegory thing), Tolkien seemed to think that some of the negative reviews of his era were a matter of taste and preference. But he had the last laugh. 

59 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

He's back-to-front on Moorcock's actual opinion of Tolkien. Moorcock says he considers himself a bad writer with big ideas, but would rather be that than a big writer with bad ideas (clearly a potshot at Tolkien). Our present poster calls Tolkien a bad writer with great ideas... which is closer to how Moorcock sees himself.

Based off Tolkien's famous Foreword (best known for the anti-allegory thing), Tolkien seemed to think that some of the negative reviews of his era were a matter of taste and preference. But he had the last laugh. 

Tolkien is a bad writer.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Mistakes_and_inconsistencies_in_Tolkien's_works

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Exactly.  Just because critics didn't like something when it was first released doesn't me the work they criticized is crap.  John Keats was harshly criticized for his work during his lifetime.  Now he's among the greatest of the Romantic Poets.  Why should the critics at the release of a given work of art have more deference than those of us reading the work today?  

@BloodyJollyRoger

The critics weren’t wrong. Lord Of The Rings Ian full of plot holes and inconsistencies. 

Archived