UK Politics: Austerity has ended - More cuts to come.

Pebble thats Stubby

So May is still PM at this point?

Let me reiterate the official positions of both Major Parties.

This deal is unacceptable (although Soubry is very likely correct, this is as good a deal as one could reasonably expect the UK to get).

A second referendum is not an option (Tories) or not a priority (Corbyn).

The implication being May is indeed correct, this deal or no deal. Thus no deal it is.

As much as I enjoy carnage, but this really is past the point where it used to be remotely funny now.

Sooo .... what the fuck happens if May is forced out? Serious question. I’m concerned that if a full-blown Brexiteer gets the job then they’ll have no interest in a second “no deal or remain” referendum, and the official opposition response to this seems to be “uhhh ..... eh. Mmm.” So it’ll be no deal + no real pressure or route to anyone doing anything about it.

37 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Sooo .... what the fuck happens if May is forced out? Serious question. I’m concerned that if a full-blown Brexiteer gets the job then they’ll have no interest in a second “no deal or remain” referendum, and the official opposition response to this seems to be “uhhh ..... eh. Mmm.” So it’ll be no deal + no real pressure or route to anyone doing anything about it.

The best thing for the country would be Corbyn popping his clogs. Though there's a small chance his position on Brexit will give the membership something to think about, should a challenger emerge.

Mogg's pulled his trigger, and encouraging his acolytes to do likewise.

Of course, he doesn't have the courage of his convictions enough to actually throw his own name into the hat. That'd be ridiculous, his type only ever want to be the power behind the thrown - not the figurehead to be torn down and executed.

42 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

As insane as it seems, she appears to be hellbent on being defeated in parliament.

Update:

I don't think she is hellbent on doing it, more like she has no other choice (if you take another referendum off the table).

She (or anybody else for that matter) is not going to get anything better out of the Withdrawal Agreement (WA). The WA has to pass parliament. Thus she had to put it forward. There's just no way around it.

I mean Mogg and the other knuckleheads can throw a tantrum all they want, about it not being what they promised their voters, because that was undevliverable. That May had pretended for so long (with the Lancaster House speech, and her silly red lines) that those things were anything else than a fantasies, that is her fault. Those fantasies were always going to clash with reality, and you can see that happening now.

43 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I honestly don't think it makes any difference. The problem described above remains the same. This is as good a WA the UK could hope for, plain and simple. If that one gets shot down, it's back to square one in the negotiation process and the clock will inevitably run out. Whether it's PM Gove, Johnson, or May for that matter. May is also not interested in a second referendum. Your only chance for that to happen is for somebody like Soubry winning a Tory Leadership challenge. Which does not seem bloody likely.

40 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

The best thing for the country would be Corbyn popping his clogs. Though there's a small chance his position on Brexit will give the membership something to think about, should a challenger emerge.

I would put that option below Corbyn simply dropping dead. Anyway, you can still hope for some Labour MP or the SNP putting forward a vote on a second referendum and hope that Labour MPs in vast numbers tell Corbyn to f...off.

30 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So will May survive the day? 

They'll have to drag her out of #10 kicking and screaming; I don't see her just walking away from a leadership challenge - so yes, she'll last the day; she'll just be dead woman walking - which has been the case since she won the last leadership contest.

This was always going to happen, the moment she put her cards on the table. Though they might have waited until April 2019, which still seems like the point of no return.

16 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

They'll have to drag her out of #10 kicking and screaming; I don't see her just walking away from a leadership challenge - so yes, she'll last the day; she'll just be dead woman walking - which has been the case since she won the last leadership contest.

This was always going to happen, the moment she put her cards on the table. Though they might have waited until April 2019, which still seems like the point of no return.

Sigh. As I’ve said from the start, I don’t get why she doesn’t just fall on her sword and do the right thing and nuke all of this. Brexit is going to be a disaster, and make no mistake, it will be a hard Brexit, and you guys are going to tank the global economy. The markets here opened on a nose dive.

12 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Doesn't matter. With her being commited to not allow a people's vote, there's very to be done. Once they've shot down the WA, they've basically derailed an orderly Brexit process and it's crash and burn.

22 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

On the global markets - we're racing Trump's deregulations and antagonistic ignorance to see who can get their damage in first.

We're winning at the moment.

But the deregulation made the stock market spike on the front end, so at least we’ve got that…..

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

If I was her I'd resign and work all day every day to get JRM made new leader. Let that prick carry the disaster. 

If you were May (you are not, are you though?), I think you'd be laughed at on this board, or really hated.

Either way, is it too early to ask whether you fit into your riot gear?

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I honestly don't think it makes any difference. The problem described above remains the same. This is as good a WA the UK could hope for, plain and simple. If that one gets shot down, it's back to square one in the negotiation process and the clock will inevitably run out. Whether it's PM Gove, Johnson, or May for that matter. May is also not interested in a second referendum. Your only chance for that to happen is for somebody like Soubry winning a Tory Leadership challenge. Which does not seem bloody likely.

Can't Parliament force another referendum?  Isn't that relatively likely, even if whoever takes over after May refuses to call one?  I would think that the majority of Parliament would be very concerned about driving off the cliff of hard Brexit when they are undoubtedly going to be blamed for the fallout.

Just now, Maithanet said:

Can't Parliament force another referendum?  Isn't that relatively likely, even if whoever takes over after May refuses to call one?  I would think that the majority of Parliament would be very concerned about driving off the cliff of hard Brexit when they are undoubtedly going to be blamed for the fallout.

Ask the Brits on this board, they are more familar with their parliamentary system. I am more of the guy who is watching a Final Destination like car crash with a mixture of horror and sort of entertainment (for lack of a better word).  As sorta political junk, I just can turn away but watch this whole thing unfold. It's in equal parts silly and horrifying to watch.

But in theory, yes, I suppose so. If you get the votes, and there's no procedural obstacle (question for the Britons).

Archived