Blackwood or Bracken?

Brandon Ice-Eyes

I know GRRM sets us up to like the Blackwoods and dislike the Brackens, but I like them both.

Of course the Blackwoods have everything in their favor, from traditional fans POV and Jaime's.  They follow the old Gods, Raventree Hall is cool as fuck, Tytos' honorable behavior when surrendering to Jaime, and the instantly likeable Hoster Blackwood.

However, Jonos Bracken has his merits. He and Blackwood were united in their support of Edmure's plan to repel the Lannister army at the Battle of the Fords, and it was a success.  Though Bracken appears to be a crass, hard man (the hooker, his argument with Jaime), he also doesn't demand what he doesn't feel he deserves (brilliantly explained by Hos Blackwood), actually informs Jaime that Pennytree is a royal fief and declines to have it included in his domains.  Jonos also legitimately mourns the loss of his natural son, and it's Tytos Blackwood who throws shade at the boy's parentage. 

Although they are cast to be disparate characters, they have much in common, as they ought, being related.

3 minutes ago, LindsayLohan said:

I know GRRM sets us up to like the Blackwoods and dislike the Brackens, but I like them both.

Of course the Blackwoods have everything in their favor, from traditional fans POV and Jaime's.  They follow the old Gods, Raventree Hall is cool as fuck, Tytos' honorable behavior when surrendering to Jaime, and the instantly likeable Hoster Blackwood.

However, Jonos Bracken has his merits. He and Blackwood were united in their support of Edmure's plan to repel the Lannister army at the Battle of the Fords, and it was a success.  Though Bracken appears to be a crass, hard man (the hooker, his argument with Jaime), he also doesn't demand what he doesn't feel he deserves (brilliantly explained by Hos Blackwood), actually informs Jaime that Pennytree is a royal fief and declines to have it included in his domains.  Jonos also legitimately mourns the loss of his natural son, and it's Tytos Blackwood who throws shade at the boy's parentage. 

Although they are cast to be disparate characters, they have much in common, as they ought, being related.

Those are Good Points

I don't care for either families.  I will choose whichever family supports the restoration of Targaryen rule.  And I don't mean a Half-Targaryen like Aegon ruling , unless he is married to Daenerys Targaryen and willing to take the role of consort.    

The Brackens seem to be written as more of the ‘bad guys’ of the rivalry, using underhanded tactics and siding against the rest of the Riverlands just to spite the Blackwoods; whereas the Blackwoods feel more principled.

Plus they’re allies of my fan-created house so...

I'd like Tytos Blackwood to be my lord, but I'd much rather go for a pint with Jonos Bracken.

I have to say, in terms of dialogue and banter, Jaime's exchange with Jonos is one of the greats in my opinion.

Jaime: "How's your wife?"

Jonos: "How would I know? Ask her septon."

Makes me chuckle every time.

His switching sides after the Red Wedding puts him in a dim light compared to Tytos, but in fairness his reasoning, while ethically dubious, was pragmatically sound, and you can see his reasoning. He wasn't the only one to abandon ship after Robb died, and the Blackwoods are the Old Enemy as far as the Brackens are concerned, much more than the Lannisters.

Archived