Do you think Doran Martell actually has a master plan?

Brandon Ice-Eyes

2 hours ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

So to put it short, does Doran Martell have a complex plan or was he basically just thinking for the last decade, ‘I’ll just wait for the mad kings son to grow up running from one free city to the next.’

Somehow I find the latter hard to believe. Leave your belief down below :)

I've lost hope in anything interesting coming out of Dorne since Oberyn died, except maybe Sarella.

As for Doran - I think he was a victim of the 5 year thing.  

2 hours ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

So to put it short, does Doran Martell have a complex plan or was he basically just thinking for the last decade, ‘I’ll just wait for the mad kings son to grow up running from one free city to the next.’

Somehow I find the latter hard to believe. Leave your belief down below :)

Sure he has a plan but he's too cautious.  Caution is good but you have to take risks in order to gain something.  His family signed a pact with the Targaryens' guardian and it was witnessed by no less than the Sealord of Braavos.  But Doran didn't bother to lift a finger until Daenerys hatched her dragons.  What if the dragon eggs had never hatched?  Doran would sit at home with his gout and do nothing.  

49 minutes ago, Lady Barbrey said:

I've lost hope in anything interesting coming out of Dorne since Oberyn died, except maybe Sarella.

As for Doran - I think he was a victim of the 5 year thing.  

I think you're allowing the tv show to sway your opinion of Dorne.  The Dornish plot (I'm including Quentyn) is a lot more appealing to me than whatever is going on in the north.  Doran is a mastermind.  Too cautious in my opinion.  But he is the man with the plan.  The Sand Snakes are an interesting lot.  I would prefer to read about Dorne instead of the north and the vale.  

Yes he has a plan, he told it to Arianne and then on her pushing told the Sand Snakes. As pieces or targets the plan involved Viserys, Oberyn, Tywin and the Mountain, and they've all (allegedly) died, and so it seemed like the plan was somewhat impossible to pull off now and pointless anyway, and he was basically about to call it a day. However having let eager Arianne in on things gave it a new angle and burst of life and the Sand Snakes, or Nymeria at the least, are going to take Oberyn's place, and out of the heavens comes Aegon to take the role that was Viserys' and then Dany's.

24 minutes ago, Silver Bullet 1985 said:

I think you're allowing the tv show to sway your opinion of Dorne.  The Dornish plot (I'm including Quentyn) is a lot more appealing to me than whatever is going on in the north.  Doran is a mastermind.  Too cautious in my opinion.  But he is the man with the plan.  The Sand Snakes are an interesting lot.  I would prefer to read about Dorne instead of the north and the vale.  

Uh, no. Both Show Dorne and Book Dorne failed in every possible way. The only difference is the show knew when to cut their losses.

So far his plans usually end up with him putting his family in danger while he sits on his biscuit not having to risk it, For a guy who is suppose to be cautious Doran had no problem sending his brother and son on sketchy missions into dangerous territory where they ultimately die. Now he is sending Arianne into a war zone to potentially ally with sellswords and men claiming to be people who were long thought dead. It's not just them either, he sends his nieces into unpredictable situations as well.  Sending Obara with Balon Swann to hunt "Dorne's most dangerous man" Darkstar, Tyene to infiltrate the crazies in the Faith following the High Septon and Nymeria into King's Landing when the Dornish might be sending spears to fight the Crown. Serrella Sand probably has the best chance at surviving and succeeding at what ever she's doing simply because it appears Doran had no influence on her plans.

59 minutes ago, Silver Bullet 1985 said:

Not the show at all. Quentyn was the least appealing storyline for me in the series and I dislike the Sandsnakes.  I was really intrigued with Doran's 'plan' but it seems to be ending not with a bang but a whimper because it never got started at all. Arianne bores me.

So yep, we're enjoying different aspects of the books.  All good.

Another thing that's annoying is that all of them fail. Doran failed, Quentyn failed, Arianne failed, even Oberyn (but he had character) failed.  The others all seem set up for failure.  When Doran called Darkstar the most dangerous man in the kingdom, sorry but you've lost all credibility for me, Doran.  I'll believe it if and when I see it.

I'm with @Ralphis Baratheon .  The only one that might succeed is Sarella cause Doran has nothing to do with her plans.  The Sphinx! 

14 minutes ago, Lady Barbrey said:

Another thing that's annoying is that all of them fail. Doran failed, Quentyn failed, Arianne failed, even Oberyn (but he had character) failed.  The others all seem set up for failure.  When Doran called Darkstar the most dangerous man in the kingdom, sorry but you've lost all credibility for me, Doran.  I'll believe it if and when I see it.

To top it all off Doran has to watch Trystane, who is basically a teenager, lose over and over in Cyvasse to a beginner who is only 10. As a Prince of Dorne I'm guessing Trystane has been taught and tutored for years in Cyvasse by an expert or perhaps even Doran himself. Then you have Doran's wife, who he pissed off so much she crossed the narrow sea to get away from him. So much failure, I actually feel bad for him.

Doran Martell has a wait-and-see attitude.  He makes up plans based on his opportunities.  He doesn't have reliable people.  He made it a family project and his children are not up to the task.  Oberyn was not up to the task.  He couldn't keep emotion out of it and got his head caved in.  Oberyn was on the way to victory when he got too close and Gregor got him.  Quentyn was getting close to winning the dragons over when one of his guys panicked and attacked the dragons.  That's two gone down.  It doesn't look good for Arrianne.  Alleras-Sarella may be his best operative out in the field.  Three failures and one success.  Al may succeed in destroying the Lannisters.

24 minutes ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

To top it all off Doran has to watch Trystane, who is basically a teenager, lose over and over in Cyvasse to a beginner who is only 10. As a Prince of Dorne I'm guessing Trystane has been taught and tutored for years in Cyvasse by an expert or perhaps even Doran himself. Then you have Doran's wife, who he pissed off so much she crossed the narrow sea to get away from him. So much failure, I actually feel bad for him.

This should be sad but I had to laugh, this whole family annoys me so much. Trystane losing Cyvasse to a 10 year old! Lol!  I'm starting to believe it had nothing to do with the 5 year plan, George just wanted to show us a family as a perpetually losing team - it's overkill.

Thanks for the giggle.

I agree with most people in this thread that Doran does not have a masterplan - or at least not a good one.

That being said, a whole kingdom untouched by the war just sitting there doing sweet f all - surely the Dornish have to become important players in the story soon. I mean, the sand snakes alone are poised to be spread out across several of the main ongoing plot lines in the south so it's not out of the question that Doran will get a semi-steady stream of news from them which might embolden him to make a move (unlikely).

Also, there's a whole Dornish army just sitting there right?

Archived