Aladdin Trailer Out

Spring Bass

Anyone else watch it? I have mixed feelings - Aladdin looks okay, but I'm not a big fan of either the washed-out-color Agrabah or the version of the Cave of Wonders. 

Overall, I'm hopeful, though.  Most of the Disney live-action remakes have been meh, but Jungle Book was excellent (and had a better ending than the animated film that inspired it). 

Link for anyone interested

note it’s just a teaser so don’t expect much to talk about. Disney live action, as you have said, has mostly ranged from meh to awful, although like you I also enjoyed Jungle Book (isn’t there another live action JB coming out soon too?) Hopefully this works out, because I have a fondness now for Aladdin.

ive not bothered looking up the cast yet, the only thing I know is that Will Smith is in this in some capacity. Seeing the Genie will be....weird. It’s going to be a hard role to fill after Robin Williams

eta; okay I looked it up and Will Smith I saw the genie. In that case I hope they go a different route from the original and put a new stamp on the character rather than do a botch job trying to replicate Williams

I haven't seen any of the the live adaptations, and based on that teaser, that's not going to change. I'm excited for Mulan and that's about it.

Also it turns out when you de-saturate, Agrabah and the Cave of Wonders, it looks an awful lot like Diablo 2's Second Act.

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

eta; okay I looked it up and Will Smith I saw the genie. In that case I hope they go a different route from the original and put a new stamp on the character rather than do a botch job trying to replicate Williams

Yeah that's going to be a weird one because I don't think of Will Smith as particularly wacky or colorful. Jack Black might've worked.

Will Smith is the genie? I'm not sure that anyone could replicate Robin Williams' manic energy, but he definitely won't. 

Not a bad teaser trailer, I suppose, but I sure hope that music isn't final. Think they could have sprung for a real full orchestra? 

Probably I'll just stick with the cartoon. 

1 hour ago, Aemon Stark said:

I'm not sure that anyone could replicate Robin Williams' manic energy, but he definitely won't. 

I think that's the point. No-one's gonna replicate Williams, but Smith has his own style and charisma and can do a lot with his voice. A lot of people being named as alternatives would probably just be delivering sub-Williams imitations, even if not on purpose. Smith won't.

Whether he's got the improv chops is the key question for me coz I'm not sure it'll be the same if the Genie is scripted.

I mean, I'd have tried to get Dave Chappelle to do it, but I think Smith could do okay.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I think that's the point. No-one's gonna replicate Williams, but Smith has his own style and charisma and can do a lot with his voice. A lot of people being named as alternatives would probably just be delivering sub-Williams imitations, even if not on purpose. Smith won't.

Whether he's got the improv chops is the key question for me coz I'm not sure it'll be the same if the Genie is scripted.

I mean, I'd have tried to get Dave Chappelle to do it, but I think Smith could do okay.

Exactly this. It's not possible to try and replicate what Robin Williams did with the character, but Will Smith at least is a chance of doing something different that could also be great. Your question mark over the improv chops is reasonable, I'll just hope it turns out he does. As for DC - I'm not super familiar with his work, but isn't he a little incendiary for what is still going to be a kid accessible movie?

I love Aladdin and I'll be giving this a chance, I don't think teaser shots are indicative of the final product in terms of look and shot of Agrabah going around is blown up from a tiny bit in the background as the camera pans over the dunes in low light.

15 hours ago, karaddin said:

As for DC - I'm not super familiar with his work, but isn't he a little incendiary for what is still going to be a kid accessible movie?

Well sure, but he wouldn't have to play himself. It's not as if Robin Williams as a comedian was child-friendly.

• 2 months later...

Will Smith looks like the Genie in the Aladdin Broadway Musical, but they've said that that's just his "human disguise" - he'll actually be the exaggerated blue version of himself in the movie, and presumably in the next trailer.

Otherwise, it looks fine. Aladdin looks a bit fancy dressed for an impoverished street kid, but that's about it. 

No Iago! That's kind of a bummer. I'm certain Gilbert Godfried is available, and Iago was funny. 

9 hours ago, Winter Bass said:

Will Smith looks like the Genie in the Aladdin Broadway Musical, but they've said that that's just his "human disguise" - he'll actually be the exaggerated blue version of himself in the movie, and presumably in the next trailer.

Otherwise, it looks fine. Aladdin looks a bit fancy dressed for an impoverished street kid, but that's about it. 

No Iago! That's kind of a bummer. I'm certain Gilbert Godfried is available, and Iago was funny. 

Couldn’t place it last night but thank you! I was being reminded of all the Aladdin signs in London when I was studying there, makes sense now

47 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If the genie is cgi what is the point of getting dressed up? Couldn't he have just done it in his jeans?

Sounds like a mix of CGI (blue genie) and what we see with the costume (‘humanoid’ genie)

10 hours ago, Winter Bass said:

Having watched the London version of that musical I'd say this looks a bit like that in some way. Its probably the only way I can justify a project like this in my head. I thought the musical was a bit too childish and the leads were bland nobodies, the genie being the only real interesting element. I'm going to assume this movie will feel the same.

Honestly, I think Smith was as good a choice as any. Funny big-name star, but his genie will also (hopefully) be distinct enough so that it won't immediately draw negative comparisons to what Robin Williams did with it. 

Archived