Aladdin Trailer Out

Spring Bass

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That

Looks

Awful

It just looks hideous. Which is a shame because out of all the Disney films to turn into LA, this is the only one I thought was worth doing.

Really? The jungle book didn’t do anything for you? Just remembered  the Lion king isn’t really live action.

6 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Really? The jungle book didn’t do anything for you? You don’t see thee lion king as potentially interesting? 

I thought Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast were very fine. 5/10 on the Jace scale, both of 'em. Perfectly average, inoffensive, and kinda sterile.

Don't get me wrong, they were both perfectly competent films, and Christopher Walken was a delight. But what's the point? Why are we doing this? What is the creative thrust?

There is none.

Remakes have existed for a long, long, time. And I'm certainly not a NEVER REMAKE MY FAVORITE MOVIE psycho, but these Disney remakes aren't even remakes. They're fucking copies. They are point-by-point exact copies from a narrative perspective. There are small differences from the originals, sure. But even when the changes are positive they feel strange and out of place because of how much the rest of the film is exactly the same.

This is because Disney is not -and never for a second considered- trying to improve on or celebrate the original films, they're just converting them to LA to get a buck. Which is why to a lot of folks (like myself) even though we might have a good time watching the film it always feels wrong, whereas true 'remakes' tend to make plot changes and throw their own spins out there. Even when they're complete shit cash grabs you get to do things like experience an actor or director or writer's take on another's work and see how they make it their own.

We don't get that from the Disney 'remakes', (for a multitude of reasons but for simplicity's sake) because there is nothing to adapt for an actor and to a lesser extent a director. LA and animation are so extremely different in how the films are put together, that something which would seem artistically revolting like a shot-for-shot remake seems like a good idea. Because 'you haven't seen it like this!' right? I'm not even necessarily trying to bury Disney for this, I understand why they fell into this trap from both a fiscal and procedural perspective. There quite simply is nothing for a director or actor to make their own in these films. It's not Robin Williams' Genie, it's Robin Williams' voice and a shitload of artists' Genie. Physicality is a massive part of acting, and when you only have voice and tone to work off when attempting to differentiate it makes perfect sense to simply conform your character directly to what the animated one did because there's a divorce from the usual association between a character and the actor portraying them.

Regarding the Lion King, that one makes zero goddamn sense to me. It's not Live Action. It's just extreme uncanny valley CGI.

I don't hate how the Genie looks. He could ham it up more, but in motion and with sound he looks fine (the still picture looks worse). 

High-pitched Jafar kind of bothered me, though. It makes him seem a lot younger, and Jafar really shouldn't be young. 

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Hopefully this will die on its ass and anyone who proposes remaking cartoons will be laughed out of the office.

The exact reason I was hopeful about this movie is now the best chance we have at seeing this trend destroyed.

We don't get a great amount of mainstream big budget films set in the grandeur of ancient/medieval West Asia where they aren't the bad guys. Now I am forced to desire America's untamed racism defeating the type of cool cultural exposure I've so longed for. 

Thanks, Disney.

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

The exact reason I was hopeful about this movie is now the best chance we have at seeing this trend destroyed.

We don't get a great amount of mainstream big budget films set in the grandeur of ancient/medieval West Asia where they aren't the bad guys. Now I am forced to desire America's untamed racism defeating the type of cool cultural exposure I've so longed for. 

Thanks, Disney.

Lol, not sure why you'd expect some sort of historical accuracy from a Disney Aladdin movie.

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Lol, not sure why you'd expect some sort of historical accuracy from a Disney Aladdin movie.

?

It's not historical accuracy I've desired, just a non-negative experience of this very colorful region during any of its grandest eras.

Hahahahahaha seeing this trending and the memes did not prepare me for how bad the genie looked. It looks like one of those old opening sketches at the Oscars where they would insert Billy Crystal or some shit into scenes from the nominees. Oh oh oh, more like Sopranos 

• 1 month later...

So this will still have musical numbers then. And they are rehashing friend like me. And Smith seems to be trying to copy Williams rather than make his own version, which probably isn't a great idea imo. Agrabah looks pretty naff too. Nothing about this looks good to me

Archived