Let's Get Kraken

U.S. Politics: For Whom the Bell Polls

5 hours ago, komantebunte said:

That's what worries me. How many Nazis are there who won't fess up to being Nazis when they're answering poll questions? 

This can easily go the other way. How many closet Beto fans are there in Texas? 

We'll find out. 

5 hours ago, komantebunte said:

The post referred to 'Confucian civilizations' (whatever that means) and slimed a complex Chinese philosophical/religious culture. Equating foot binding with Confucianism is on the same level as equating female genital mutilation with Islam. Can we please stop with this?

I missed the refernce there but would agree if that what was said, I think that got lost in how it was called out.   Thank you for explaining. 

6 hours ago, komantebunte said:

The post referred to 'Confucian civilizations' (whatever that means) and slimed a complex Chinese philosophical/religious culture. 

Actually I used "Confucian civilizations" because to homogenize the immensely vast and ideologically expansive array of more than fifty unique and distinctive ethnic groups simply as "China", would be to do intellectual violence to one of the most complex and ancient cultural legacies in the history of our species.

What do you mean by China? Mainland China? Or the cultural/dynastically linked regions of the People's Republic of China and the Republic of China? To whom was I being racist? The Han Chinese? They were hardly the only people in Asia to hobble their women, and were certainly not the only culture shaped by Confucianism. Did I say or do anything to even hint that I was referring to "China", or did you just go by the PRC flag in my profile?

I identified the cultures which had engaged in things like foot-binding as "Confucian" because of the role that Confucian philosophy specifically had in the proliferation of such practices.

In parting, find a healthier hobby jackass.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken