You’re Ned Stark: make marriage pacts for your kids

Canon Claude

If I’m Ned Stark, I want to keep my kids close by. Therefore, I won’t have anyone taking my kids south. Danger lies that road, so I will tie myself as deep into the North as possible, before any outside lords presume to ask for my children in marriage.

Robb: Wylla Manderly

Wylla is a bit older than Robb, but she is the granddaughter of the most powerful bannerman in the North (move over, Roose Bolton).

Sansa: Waymar Royce

This might seem like a weird choice, but there’s a logic behind it. Waymar is about to be wasted on the Nights Watch anyway, and Sansa is smitten by him. If I’m Ned, I’ll want to repopulate the Gift with new bannermen. By marrying Sansa to Waymar, I get a new bannerman who can start a cadet branch in the Gift and be a loyal ally to my sons. Plus the Vale produces honourable men, so I know he’ll treat Sansa right, unlike a certain twat further down south in King’s Landing.

Bran: Lyanna Mormont

Its still early for Bran, but he’ll be able to start his own cadet branch someday with a Mormont for a wife.  

Arya: Cley Cerwyn

Its a bit of a step down for a Stark, but Arya is not a typical girl, and Cley will know that, given how close he’s grown up to Winterfell. He’ll be able to treat Arya with patience and understanding, maybe letting her have more autonomy than the average northern lady.

Rickon: nobody yet.

I’ll wait on engaging Rickon to anyone. Maybe see if Lyessa Flint gives birth to a girl.

Robb to Margaery Tyrell. Bran to Lyanna Mormont. Arya to Sweet Robyn. Jon to Sansa, following the foot steps of Lord Rickard. If that's a no-go then Jon gets Alys Karstark or even better for both him and them, a Manderly and Sansa gets a Lannister with lands attached to her. We don't have anyone around the same age for Rickon, he's just 2-3 at the time this is not the show.

Just now, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

If the heir to winterfell came knocking, Richard karstark who already had ambitions for Robb and alys would have imddediatly cancelled her betrothal for Daryn hornwood, as any sane lord would.

The Northerners won’t let such an insult pass without doing anything about it. One way or another, Rickard Karstark would have to answer for that kind of boorish behaviour.

3 minutes ago, James Steller said:

The Northerners won’t let such an insult pass without doing anything about it. One way or another, Rickard Karstark would have to answer for that kind of boorish behaviour.

Not really, alys would one day be the wardeness of the north and lady of winterfell and I doubt a Glover or Dustin would care less about house hornwood a complaints. Robb was the heir to winterfell, Ned the warden of the north and it was within his power to cancel there betrothal, not that he would have but rickard karstark would have accepted.

Robb Stark: Tytos Blackwood’s daughter

I can’t recall her name off the top of my head, but this would be a good way to tie the North closer to the Riverlands while also getting Robb a bride who worships the old gods.

Sansa Stark: Robert Arryn

She would be able to go live with her aunt and cousin in the Vale, the home of knightly honour in Westeros. Sansa would be Happy there.

Arya Stark: The Mormont boy

Far as I recall, Maege Mormont’s grandson is a little boy still, but if there is any place for Arya to live, it’s Bear Island. She’d learn to be a real she-wolf and grow up among warrior women. 

Bran Stark: Eddara Tallhart

A second son of House Stark to promote a masterly house which proved loyal to Winterfell. 

Rickon: Robett Glover’s daughter

Same deal.

5 minutes ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Not really, alys would one day be the wardeness of the north and lady of winterfell and I doubt a Glover or Dustin would care less about house hornwood a complaints. Robb was the heir to winterfell, Ned the warden of the north and it was within his power to cancel there betrothal, not that he would have but rickard karstark would have accepted.

Is it in his power to do that? We never get any word of that authority as far as I know. It seems perilously close to Robb abandoning his marriage pact to marry the Westerling girl. It shocked everyone who heard about it. Rickard Karstark and Ned Stark doing that to the Hornwoods would surely create a similar reaction. Lord Stark is Warden, sure, but the idea of him riding around and undoing marriage proposals as he likes would turn a lot of people against him, and besides, Ned wouldn’t do that. If he heard of Alys’ betrothal to Daryn Hornwood, hed just shrug and look elsewhere.

1 minute ago, James Steller said:

Is it in his power to do that? We never get any word of that authority as far as I know. It seems perilously close to Robb abandoning his marriage pact to marry the Westerling girl. It shocked everyone who heard about it. Rickard Karstark and Ned Stark doing that to the Hornwoods would surely create a similar reaction. Lord Stark is Warden, sure, but the idea of him riding around and undoing marriage proposals as he likes would turn a lot of people against him, and besides, Ned wouldn’t do that. If he heard of Alys’ betrothal to Daryn Hornwood, hed just shrug and look elsewhere.

Perhaps, depends who’s warden of the north. I would still try and get Robb married of to a karstark or a manderly to secure house starks position in the north

Robb: Alys Karstark, Wynafryd Manderly, maybe Margaery Tyrell. Why Rickard Karstark didn’t try harder to get a betrothal between Alys and Robb then just settled for Daryn Hornwood escapes me.

Sansa: Edric Dayne, Hoster Blackwood, Waymar Royce if he wasn’t an ass. Edric’s a nice enough lad and lord in his own right.

Arya: Jojen Reed, a son of Tytos Blackwood, one of Greatjon’s younger sons

Bran: Shireen Baratheon, Jorelle or Lyanna Mormont, Bethany Blackwood.

Rickon: Lyanna Mormont

Jon: Night’s Watch or Mya Stone: Ned has a son, Robert has a daughter. They’ll join their houses.

18 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

Robb Stark - Wynafryd Manderly

Sansa Stark - Wylis Tyrell

Arya Stark - Edric Dayne

Bran Stark - Shireen Baratheon

Rickon Stark - Lyanna Mormont

A marriage between edric Dayne and Arya wouldn’t happen unfortunately as it wouldn’t benefit house stark, Arya would do better as a northern lords wife. The rest of the marriages seem fine.

Sansa x Joffrey (yes, really. Politically speaking, it is an excellent match)

Arya x Sweetrobin (apparently cousins marrying wasn’t that much of a problem: Tywin married his cousin Joanna, and he wasn’t a big fan of incest)

Robb to a Tyrell (Margaery?)

Bran to a Karstark or Umber (not both to the same House though)

Rickon to a Manderly

Archived