You’re Ned Stark: make marriage pacts for your kids

Canon Claude

11 minutes ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

A marriage between edric Dayne and Arya wouldn’t happen unfortunately as it wouldn’t benefit house stark, Arya would do better as a northern lords wife. The rest of the marriages seem fine.

Unfortunately, there’s a dearth of northern heirs around Arya’s age, the closest I believe is Cley Cerwyn. 

How bad are my suggestions?

32 minutes ago, Shadow Binder said:

Sansa x Joffrey (yes, really. Politically speaking, it is an excellent match)

Arya x Sweetrobin (apparently cousins marrying wasn’t that much of a problem: Tywin married his cousin Joanna, and he wasn’t a big fan of incest)

Robb to a Tyrell (Margaery?)

Bran to a Karstark or Umber (not both to the same House though)

Rickon to a Manderly

I wonder why Mace Tyrell didn’t try to get a match between Robb and Margaery. Mace extends his sphere to the North and the North could get grain from the Reach in winter. 

Politically speaking, Sansa and Joffrey is an excellent match on paper. Except Joffrey’s a dick. 

55 minutes ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

A marriage between edric Dayne and Arya wouldn’t happen unfortunately as it wouldn’t benefit house stark, Arya would do better as a northern lords wife. The rest of the marriages seem fine.

This question says that I am Ned Stark, and I feel like all the other marriages benefit House Stark in some shape, so I feel like if I'd be forced to make Arya marry, then I'd make her as happy as possible, and marrying her into House Dayne in Dorne would be perfect. 

1 hour ago, wia said:

Cathelyn would throw a fit. :D

I'd like to think she wouldn't be too against it. Arya would be the Lady of one of the oldest and most respectable Houses in Westeros, and since Arya wouldn't want to marry anyone anyway, I feel like the least Catelyn could do is accept a match that would make her happy. She would already have Sansa marrying the next Lord of Highgarden and Warden of the South which would hopefully mellow her out. 

Robb Stark - Wynafryd Manderly

Daughter of the richest and more powerfull bannerman, this is a easy pick.

Jon Snow- as a bastard Jon would be much more free to choose what to do with his life, but I would't let him marry into a powerfull family, this could bring trouble in the future. Meera Reed could be a good option.

Sansa Stark - Loras Tyrell

Famous Knight, right family, handsome, pretty much the wet dream of Sansa in the beggining of the series. The Tyrells were interested in this match, and I don't see a reason to refuse it.

Arya Stark - Edric Dayne

Dorne is the only place where I can picture Arya living the way she wanted. Edric is the right age and a lord of his own right.

Bran Stark - Erena Glover

Bran still close to the sucession, so he also need a good match. Don't know the age of the daugthers of Greatjon, Alys is not avaible, the next name to come in mind are the Glovers.

Rickon Stark - Too young to tell, his future wife probably isn't even born yet, and if I'm Ned I do not expect him to heir Winterfell, as a third son he would be much more free to choose his bride.

4 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

I'd like to think she wouldn't be too against it. Arya would be the Lady of one of the oldest and most respectable Houses in Westeros, and since Arya wouldn't want to marry anyone anyway, I feel like the least Catelyn could do is accept a match that would make her happy. She would already have Sansa marrying the next Lord of Highgarden and Warden of the South which would hopefully mellow her out. 

I feel like as far as matches for Arya go, it would be the best one for her.

But Cathelyn would throw a fit 'cause she's already pissed off with Ned for raising Jon at Winterfell and now he wants her daughter to marry into the house that he supposedly dishonoured her with? - I don't see her taking it, tbh.

36 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

I wonder why Mace Tyrell didn’t try to get a match between Robb and Margaery. Mace extends his sphere to the North and the North could get grain from the Reach in winter. 

Politically speaking, Sansa and Joffrey is an excellent match on paper. Except Joffrey’s a dick. 

Lord Redwyne laughed. "What is there north of the Neck that any sane man would want? If Greyjoy will trade swords and sails for stone and snow, I say do it, and count ourselves lucky."
"Truly," agreed Mace Tyrell.

18 minutes ago, wia said:

I feel like as far as matches for Arya go, it would be the best one for her.

But Cathelyn would throw a fit 'cause she's already pissed off with Ned for raising Jon at Winterfell and now he wants her daughter to marry into the house that he supposedly dishonoured her with? - I don't see her taking it, tbh.

Maybe, but if I where Ned I would've told her either that Jon wasn't Ashara's son, or that he was Brandon's son. Either way I'd like to think Catelyn wouldn't put her pettiness over Arya's happiness, but as someone whose never really liked Catelyn I wouldn't put it past her. 

17 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Exactly. It's like those scenarios that James Steller used to do where we hypothetically were the head of a noble house in whatever region it happened to be.

You know, I’ve been seeing Alys Karstark pop up as a bride for Robb quite a bit on this thread. I wonder what made Rickard Karstark give up on trying to get Robb as a son-in-law and settle for Daryn Hornwood. Did Ned intend on marrying all his kids south?

It's likely Robb would need to marry a Northern lords daughter since Ned married outside of the North. Two straight marriages to the south for the Lords of Winterfell seems like it might irk the other Northern lords.

2 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

Jon Snow- as a bastard Jon would be much more free to choose what to do with his life, but I would't let him marry into a powerfull family, this could bring trouble in the future. Meera Reed could be a good option.

Even as a crannogwomen Meera is still a noble woman, so it's unlikely she'd marry a bastard with an unknown and possibly low born mother, even if his father is thought to be the Lord of Winterfell. Plus Catelyn would throw a fit about Jon marrying the only daughter to a loyal House of the North, especially with  Greywater Watch's strategic importance. Ned could probably find a match for Jon with one of Walder Frey's bastard daughters/granddaughters. With Walder being one of Cat's father's bannerman I can even see her possibly being ok with it. It could help the North if Jon became one of Robb's advisers, Walder would probably give Robb and Jon a family discount on the toll to cross the Twins.

58 minutes ago, Shadow Binder said:

If I were Ned, I wouldn’t know that though.

Not initially, at least, though you can argue that due diligence would have turned this up fairly quickly.

Political!Ned would definitely have been gunning for the Joffrey match at the outset.

5 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

This is no game. It’s an exercise in how one would do things differently. 

So, A forum game. 

5 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Exactly. It's like those scenarios that James Steller used to do where we hypothetically were the head of a noble house in whatever region it happened to be.

So yes, a forum game. 

In this hypothesis, it's peacetime.  There is no reason for anyone other than Robb to even be considering engagements.  Sansa isn't even flowered yet.  Ned seems to be letting his bannermen do the proper introductions (like the Karstark visit a few years prior), without making commitments. Robb is the prize, as is Sansa. 

Arya is a wildcat.  Bran, even at his young age, dreams of becoming a Kingsguard.  If you're Ned Stark, why would you be concerned with betrothals this young? 

Extension:  If you believe the hypothesis that Ned and Benjen are waiting for Benjen to become LC of the Watch so they can do the deal on the gift, it only makes sense that Ned sees minor lordships in his sons' (including Jon) future.  Jeor Mormont was 69 years old at the time of his death. The only play is patience.

11 hours ago, James Steller said:

The Northerners won’t let such an insult pass without doing anything about it. One way or another, Rickard Karstark would have to answer for that kind of boorish behaviour.

You can easily solve that with a double betrothal. Arya gets Daryn and Robb gets Alys. Both the Karstarks and the Hornwoods get a better deal than before. Everyone is happier.

Archived