You’re Ned Stark: make marriage pacts for your kids

Canon Claude

12 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Why? Why couldn’t Arya at least marry a Northern lordling? 

I mean, they could, but it's pretty strongly indicated that that's the direction they're headed in.  Ned himself literally states that he wants to take Arya south to KL with him because it's past time she learns about southern courts before she reaches marriageable age.

On 11/16/2018 at 5:44 PM, Colonel Green said:

I mean, they could, but it's pretty strongly indicated that that's the direction they're headed in.  Ned himself literally states that he wants to take Arya south to KL with him because it's past time she learns about southern courts before she reaches marriageable age.

Did Ned want all of his kids to marry South? Should have tried to get Robb with Margaery Tyrell. 

Luckily, Ned has enough kids to make both Northern and Southern alliances through their marriages.

I'm assuming that Ned is smart enough to realize that Arya belongs in the North; especially if he arranges a Southern betrothal for Sansa.  And that he realizes it would be a good thing, after his own marriage to a Southern noble lady; if the mother of his heir's future son is a daughter of a significant Northern house.

Robb - is betrothed to Alys Karstark.  It makes a lot of sense.

Sansa - is betrothed to Willas Tyrell.  House Tyrell and House Stark might be able to help each other during the coming Winter; Highgarden is a place where Sansa could be happy; a wealthy Southern House that does not carry the taint of Lannister cruelty.  

Bran - is a kid who could be happy almost anywhere; he wants to become a knight, so perhaps he would also do well in the South.  Ned could pick between Shireen Baratheon, who could eventually give Bran lordship over Dragonstone; or Myrcella Baratheon (so as to mollify Robert, who might have been annoyed that Ned didn't seek out a betrothal to Joffrey for Sansa); hopefully Robert could eventually give Myrcella and Bran a holding of their own.

Arya - is betrothed to Daryn Hornwood (the price for the breaking of the betrothal of Alys Karstark & Daryn Hornwood so that Alys can marry Robb).  If that deal falls through; Ned can ask Howland Reed for his son Jojen for Arya (who would probably do very well at Greywater Watch).  

Rickon - He must stay in the North in case something happens to Robb or Robb's future wife can't produce children. Erena Glover might be a good match for him; she's about his age; but a betrothal can wait at least six or eight years.  Lyanna Mormont is also a possibility; though she is five years older than Rickon.  

Another poster suggested that Jon Snow be betrothed to Mya Stone - I think Ned and Robert might go for that.  Mya is a strong and competent young woman who could be happy in the North; and there will be no stigma if she marries another bastard; especially if Robert acknowledges her and gives her a tasteful dowry and Ned finds a holding for Mya and Jon.  Mya is three or four years older than Jon; which isn't too big a gap; particularly as Jon ages out of his teenaged years.  Maybe Robert could legitimate both of them so they could establish another Stark cadet house (as a sop to Catelyn's outrage at Jon's becoming a Stark, find them a place to live that isn't too close to Winterfell).

4 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Luckily, Ned has enough kids to make both Northern and Southern alliances through their marriages.

I'm assuming that Ned is smart enough to realize that Arya belongs in the North; especially if he arranges a Southern betrothal for Sansa.  And that he realizes it would be a good thing, after his own marriage to a Southern noble lady; if the mother of his heir's future son is a daughter of a significant Northern house.

Robb - is betrothed to Alys Karstark.  It makes a lot of sense.

Sansa - is betrothed to Willas Tyrell.  House Tyrell and House Stark might be able to help each other during the coming Winter; Highgarden is a place where Sansa could be happy; a wealthy Southern House that does not carry the taint of Lannister cruelty.  

Bran - is a kid who could be happy almost anywhere; he wants to become a knight, so perhaps he would also do well in the South.  Ned could pick between Shireen Baratheon, who could eventually give Bran lordship over Dragonstone; or Myrcella Baratheon (so as to mollify Robert, who might have been annoyed that Ned didn't seek out a betrothal to Joffrey for Sansa); hopefully Robert could eventually give Myrcella and Bran a holding of their own.

Arya - is betrothed to Daryn Hornwood (the price for the breaking of the betrothal of Alys Karstark & Daryn Hornwood so that Alys can marry Robb).  If that deal falls through; Ned can ask Howland Reed for his son Jojen for Arya (who would probably do very well at Greywater Watch).  

Rickon - He must stay in the North in case something happens to Robb or Robb's future wife can't produce children. Erena Glover might be a good match for him; she's about his age; but a betrothal can wait at least six or eight years.  Lyanna Mormont is also a possibility; though she is five years older than Rickon.  

Another poster suggested that Jon Snow be betrothed to Mya Stone - I think Ned and Robert might go for that.  Mya is a strong and competent young woman who could be happy in the North; and there will be no stigma if she marries another bastard; especially if Robert acknowledges her and gives her a tasteful dowry and Ned finds a holding for Mya and Jon.  Mya is three or four years older than Jon; which isn't too big a gap; particularly as Jon ages out of his teenaged years.  Maybe Robert could legitimate both of them so they could establish another Stark cadet house (as a sop to Catelyn's outrage at Jon's becoming a Stark, find them a place to live that isn't too close to Winterfell).

I like the idea of Arya warging lizard-lions, homie.  Imagine an invading army approaching Moat Cailin with an annoyed Arya in the weeds.

Robb - Meera Reed. Might as well reward my homie Howland for helping me against Arthur Dayne at the Tower of Joy.

Sansa - Willas Tyrell because she would love Highgarden and provides a powerful alliance.

Bran - Join the KG as he wants because I am a good father.

Arya - Would like to say Robert Arryn to get an alliance with the Vale but she would never put up with his sickly nature and attitude. Probably just get her married to one of the northern bannerman to keep them happy and she will be more free to act in her wild ways.

Rickon - Too young to consider at the moment but again probably marry him off to a Northern House to keep them all happy.

Jon Snow - Ask Robert to legitimze him (partly to annoy Cat because she has been horrible to the poor boy his whole life) and then keep him marriage free so when Daenerys lands with her dragons I can reveal he is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna and they can have their incestuous Targaryen Marriage with my son Bran protecting them in the KG!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2018 at 2:24 PM, Canon Claude said:

Simple enough premise. It’s the beginning of the book series, before Jon Arryn is dead. You have five (or six) children to marry off or at least betrothe in order to strengthen their futures and your family. Who do you choose and why?

Robb to Lyra or Jorelle Mormont , whichever one is closest to his age. The Mormont are loyal banner men and as North as they come.

Sansa offer to Willas Tyrell or the heir of one of the other major Reach Houses like House Hightower.

Arya should be fostered on Bear Island. Some time under the tutelage of Maege Mormont and her daughters would help Arya find a balance between what she wants and the expectations of a noble daughter.  Then possibly a betrothal to Jojen Reed or maybe one of the Dornish Houses.

Bran should be fostered either at Riverrun or with his Great Uncle Brynden at the Bloody Gate to achieve his dream of becoming a knight. Once Bran's earned his spurs then offer him to House Blackwood, House Bracken, or a Vale House.

Rickon should be fostered with the Tallharts and then betrothed to one of the Tallhart girls. 

As for Jon, it seems Ned's plan for him was always for him to waste his life away at the Wall and never have a family of his own.

This is interesting.  Ned seem to place his children's happiness as a priority. 

Robb & Wylla Manderly - She seems brave and outspoken.  She'd be at home at WF filling the void left by Arya once she left home to marry her own.

Jon - He doesn't want "bastards" and Cat would probably throw a fit at the thought of having him legitimized so the Night's Watch seems like the best fit for him.  Or Mya Stone. 

Sansa & Loras Tyrell - She's smitten with the gallant southron knight and doesn't care that he's a 3rd son.  She'd enjoy the Reach and they both keep to the New Gods.

Arya & Jojen Reed - Arya would enjoy Greywater Watch.  Jojen would enjoy teaching her everything he new about the Neck and they'd be close enough to visit WF often.

Bran - A Knight of the KG.

Rickon & Lyanna Mormont - She seems like someone who wouldn't be afraid of Shaggydog.  He'd like her spunk.

Robb: Wylla Manderly 

Sansa: Willas Tyrell

Arya: Trystane Martell or Edric Dayne

Bran: Myrcella Baratheon

Rickon: A northern daughter who may not be born yet.

Jon: If Jon were to marry, I like the idea of Mya Stone like others have suggested. But I think it's more probable that Ned expected him to join the Night's Watch.

I'm getting deja vu because I'm certain I have answered this thread before but this one is too new to actually be the one I wrote on... Oh well! I do like these sorts of exercises to kill time. :P My answers haven't changed much, though.

I believe Ned would have probably sought to keep most – if not all – of his kids in the North. I only ever really saw the girls potentially marrying in the South and even then it would probably have been to families that the Starks already have a history with, like those in the Vale and Riverlands. Ned is simply not a politically savvy nor overly ambitious man I don't see him aiming too high for his children's matches. I don't think Cat would have necessarily sought anything too massive, either, since she's very family orientated and would probably have liked to keep her children - at least her sons - as close as possible.

So, we are looking at mostly Northern matches with a few traditional allies maybe on the table.

Robb Stark, i.e. the most eligible bachelor in the North. As Ned married outside of the North, and his father Rickard had married his own cousin, it has been a while since any of the Northern families have had a chance to see one of their daughters as Lady of Winterfell. 

I would say one of the Manderly girls is a good bet, most likely Wylla Manderly since it doesn't appear she and Wynafryd have a brother which means Wynnie needs to stay in White Habour as the heir. Wylla is a match I also see Catelyn getting behind because they’re a prosperous family that follows the Faith of the Seven and the girls are likely to develop nice, plump, curvy girls with big hips – which we know is a big tick for Catelyn when it comes to wives for her male relatives!

Some fringe choices could be one of the younger Mormont girls: Dacey Mormont is not an option as she is indisputably the heir to Bear Island while Alysane already has kids. It would probably be Lyra or Jory Mormont though if Robb didn't marry until a little later in life, like his mid-twenties, Lyanna Mormont is certainly an option, too. We also can’t rule out Meera Reed. The Reeds might not be rich but they are a principle house and control one of the most important strategic points of the North. It would reinforce the North as a united front since the other Northern lords seem to have “doubts” about the crannogmen’s reliability and a marriage between the families would ensure this bond between Ned and Howland survives into the next generation.

Finally, Alys Karstark would have been a good pick considering his plans for the Gift. However, she's already been nabbed and I understand why Ned didn't want to "tie Robb down" when he was only six.

Sansa and Arya, i.e. the "peacekeepers".  Ned seems to have accepted in his mind that they will likely be going south to become ladies. While it would be lovely for Sansa to nab someone like Willas Tyrell, I'm supposed to be Ned in this little game and I'll stick to what I know. So, I see Ned looking to his traditional non-Northern allies in the Vale or among the Riverlands. These are the two closest kingdoms to the North, after all.

Possible choices: Andar Royce (Heir to Runestone), Brynden Blackwood (Heir to Raventree Hall), or the Waynwood heir to Ironoaks. It's also possible Ned would have considered a match with Robert “Sweetrobin” Arryn (Heir to the Eyrie and Lordship of the Vale) or, if he dies before reaching the age of majority, Harold “Arryn” if it comes to that and he is free to marry. We also cannot rule out Robert still wanting a match between one of the girls and Joffrey Baratheon. [Gods save us all!]

That said, Ned might have chosen to put the North completely on lockdown. So, at least one daughter might have been kept in the North, especially since war was probably going to breakout in the south whether Ned became the Hand of the King or not. Since Arya is the second daughter would probably be the one to stay in the North. Cley Cerwyn would have been a good choice as they are close to Winterfell or possibly Jojen Reed, again, for the same reasons to why we can’t rule out Meera for Robb. (Under normal circumstances, I think Arya would love being married into House Reed – seems like a family she could truly flourish in.)

Bran and Rickon, i.e. the "spares". Ned seems to have wanted both Bran and Rickon to one day serve as Robb’s bannermen. This indicates that his long-term plans for his two spares. It is possible that he intended for them to set up their own cadet branches in the Gift, if that plan went through. For this reason, Ned would probably want Bran and Rickon’s marriages to bolster this desire to get other Northern houses behind this idea. My best guess: a Flint girl for one lad and an Umber girl for the other, the Northernmost families who have some very strong feelings about wildlings and would probably enjoy this "buffer" plan for the Gift.

We should probably also touch on the Dark Horse and the Elephant in the Room: Theon Greyjoy and Jon Snow.

With Theon, I suspect Ned would have found him a second or third daughter of a principle Stark bannerman to marry… ideally landlocked or on the eastern coast. There would have come a time when Theon would presumably have had to take his seat on the Iron Isles once Balon died and the need for a hostage was moot.

With Jon, I do not think that Ned would have wanted him joining the Night’s Watch under normal circumstances, especially if it had got to this stage where he’s planning out his kids’ marriages. As for the wife... I wonder, if Ned might have had hopes of marrying Jon to Meera Reed. Catelyn would certainly hate it: on paper, Meera is indeed far out of Jon’s league given he is a bastard and she is, in a sense, the “backdoor key” to the gateway of the North.  That said, they are probably one of the few families in the North who wouldn't necessarily care all that much that Jon was a bastard especially given Howland "knows" about Jon's super-secret-parentage. The only other family who might not care about Jon’s bastardy are the Mormont women. Either way, I do think Ned would have tried to secure Jon a decent marriage.

Robb:Myrcella

House Stark gets a nice Lannister hostage.

Sansa:Renly 

To honour the Lyanna-Robert match which never happened.

Arya: Hightower or Rowan

Bran: Wylla Manderly

Rickon:Umbers or Karstarks(possible daughter of Small Jon or Harlon)

Jon:Mormont girl

Mormont girls dont even have a known father,I don't think they'll mind a bastard of their overlord.

I'm not sure a marriage between someone from the North and someone from the Reach would make much sense, the two regions are simply too far away. Going by memory I think great houses only marry their vassals or their neighbours, there's a reason for that, distance matters (Robert - Lyanna is an exception but the reasoning behind is obvious). Why would Mace agree to betroth his daughter or any of his sons to a Stark? He has nothing to gain from that.

Ned married Catelyn and Rickard married his cousin, so Robb's wife should have been the daughter of a northern lord. Alys Karstark would have been ideal but she was already betrothed; one of Manderly's granddaughters, can't remember which one, would have been a good candidate. Meera Reed is the right age but I'm not sure a crannogwoman would be the best choice as the lady of Winterfell. A Mormont would have been good, too.

For Sansa, obviously Joffrey was the best possible choice. I know the boy is horrible but Ned wouldn't have known that, and well, Crown Prince. Sansa would have been the Queen, you can't do better than that.

Bran is the spare, he gets a bannerman's daughter; depending on who Robb ends up marrying, I think Manderly, Mormont or Meera would all be good choices; I'm not sure if there's an Umber of suitable age.

Arya same as Bran. I have no idea of who would be available but it must be an heir or a young lord, can't marry a Stark to a second son. So someone like Smalljon Umber, Harrion Karstark (provided they're not married), Domeric Bolton (if he wasn't dead) and so on.

Rickon is the spare's spare, so I guess he could marry whichever northern highborn daughter he liked, or even join the NW if he felt like it.

Jon is tricky. I don't think finding him a wife would have been too difficult because, bastard or not, he's still lord Stark's beloved son. But he couldn't marry too "high" because Catelyn and her family would have raised hell - and they would have been right. So I guess some minor lord's daughter would have been good.

As for Theon, he was Ned's ward but on behalf of the Crown so I think it was for Robert (or better put, Jon Arryn) to arrange that marriage.

On 11/23/2018 at 1:16 AM, LindsayLohan said:

I like the idea of Arya warging lizard-lions, homie.  Imagine an invading army approaching Moat Cailin with an annoyed Arya in the weeds.

I'm very much on board with this. 

Robb: Marry a Northern girl, for the culture. 

Sansa: Wilas Tyrell, because they're kind, rich, decent people for the most part, and could have taught her a few thangs her mother failed to do. Definitely more her speed, plus she'd be the wife to the heir of the Tyrells. Or someone from House Arryn, both out of respect for his close relationship with Robert Arryn and because the Vale have great military might that could protect her, her aunt and cousin (who is heir to the Vale) live there, and they're the quisessential knights that Sansa dreamed of. 

Arya: Marry her to either Trystane Martell or some Northern boy. The Martells are ideal because they have far more gender equality, she wants to be a warrior and live a more active life, so to speak, and Dorne facilitates that. Also, she's always admired and idolized Nymeria Martell, to the point of naming her direwolf after their ancestor. Or a Northerner, you know, for the culture and also because Arya will always be a Northerner at heart.

Bran: Should go down South, marry either Shireen Baratheon, or hey, even Myrcella Baratheon.  With Shireen he'd likely to be Lord of Dragonstone one day, with Myrcella, he'd be marrying a princess of the South and possibly pacifying the fact that neither Sansa nor Arya married one of Rob Baratheon's sons. 

Rickon: Should stay up North, as the youngest and second presence of the Starks. Marry either Lyanna or some other Northern Girl near his age.

Robb- I'd encourage the match with Alys Karstark when Lord Rickard hinted at it. If that didn't work I'd look toward one of the Mormont girls, I think either Lyra or Jorelle are around Robb's age, or one of the GreatJon's daughters. Robb needs to marry a northern girl to reinforce House Stark's northerness. 

Sansa- I'd use Sansa to reinforce my ties to the south. Joffery would have been an excellent match if he hadn't been a sadistic little shit. Willias Tyrell or Renly Baratheon would be options. If that didn't work out, I'd look to houses in the Vale or Riverlands. House Royce, Waynwood, Hunter, and Redfort in the Vale and House Blackwood, Piper, Mallister, or Vance in the Riverlands would be good choices. 

Arya- I'd keep Arya in the north. I'm thinking Cley Cerwyn or Benfred Tallhart. 

Bran-I'd encourage Bran to become a knight and try to get him to squire for someone in King's Landing, Barristan Selmy or Stannis Baratheon would be my first two choices. If he still wants to become kingsguard, I'd suggest to Robert to have him take Barristan's place when he dies. On the other hand, I'd see how well he gets along with Mrycella or Shireen and possibly betroth him to one of them. A marriage to Mrycella could result in Bran being the Lord of either Storm's End or Casterly Rock with close ties to the Iron Throne. A Shireen marriage would result in Bran being Lord of Dragonstone. 

Rickon- Would be married in to the North. Either Erena Glover or Lyanna Mormont. 

Jon- I'd marry Jon to Jeyne Poole. This would keep Jon in Winterfell where he isn't likely to raise suspicion and he could be Lord Robb's right hand man as well as honoring House Poole with a marriage into the family. 

Archived