Joffrey Was Justified in Beheading Ned Stark.

Brandon Ice-Eyes

Let’s look at it from Joffreys PoV. I myself am a stark fan but even I won’t deny that from Joffrey point of view, Ned had every intention of taking the throne from him of which he thought was his birthright, unaware of his true heritage. This is high treason no matter how you sugarcoat it and I think that his execution was sad, yet justified.

Joffrey broke the deal that had been arranged to spare Ned for the wall. He proved his word was worthless, and he used the opportunity to mentally torture his supposed “beloved”. Sure it made sense from his warped POV to kill Ned, but if you take into account everything else, the bigger picture proves him wrong.

9 minutes ago, James Steller said:

Joffrey broke the deal that had been arranged to spare Ned for the wall. He proved his word was worthless, and he used the opportunity to mentally torture his supposed “beloved”. Sure it made sense from his warped POV to kill Ned, but if you take into account everything else, the bigger picture proves him wrong.

Yes but Im doing this from joffreys POV.

10 minutes ago, Rufus Snow said:

Absolutely not. Joff's very existence was treason. Jaime cuckolded the king, it doesn't matter if Joff knows or not. Ned was trying to preserve the legitimate succession.

Power lies where men believes it lies, and at the moment, House Lannister has power therefore Joffrey would be considered a Baratheon  wether people agreed or disagreed. And when he married Margary Tyrell, he only gained further legitimacy. Sure people may ask some questions about why his children and grandchildren don’t look like Baratheon but at that moment, Ned openly said that Joffrey had no claim to the throne. He was right, but in the grand scheme of things, so long as he had enough power to re-in force his heritage, he was a Baratheon and Ned was committing high treason.

9 minutes ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Yes but Im doing this from joffreys POV.

Then you’re right. But as Lord Steller said, you have to bend over backwards to ignore everything else outside of Joffrey’s POV. And even then, he could have been a merciful king and sent him to the Wall. 

Sure he was justified to do it, but firstly he promised that he would let Ned join the Nights Watch, and secondly it threw the whole realm into a pointless war, which killed thousands and thousands of people. Say what you want about Aerys, but the man was tortured, and mentally ill. Joffrey was just a cunt. 

1 minute ago, EloImFizzy said:

Sure he was justified to do it, but firstly he promised that he would let Ned join the Nights Watch, and secondly it threw the whole realm into a pointless war, which killed thousands and thousands of people. Say what you want about Aerys, but the man was tortured, and mentally ill. Joffrey was just a cunt. 

Joffrey was just a cunt, lol. Anyway, you’re right that it was pointless but I’m saying that if wasn’t unjustified, which you agreed on.

3 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

Then you’re right. But as Lord Steller said, you have to bend over backwards to ignore everything else outside of Joffrey’s POV. And even then, he could have been a merciful king and sent him to the Wall. 

Maybe, but Joffrey wanted to make an example out of Ned whilst torturing Sansa. Overall, im not saying from anyone else’s POV, but from joffreys it was justified.

24 minutes ago, James Steller said:

Joffrey broke the deal that had been arranged to spare Ned for the wall. 

Joffrey made no deal with Ned, it is not really within Vary's powers to be offering them.

It was certainly dumb, given the circumstances, but totally within a king's right. 

25 minutes ago, Rufus Snow said:

Absolutely not. Joff's very existence was treason. 

Unfortunately Joffrey was raised as Robert's son.  Ned's accusation is pretty much a death sentence for him, his mother and his siblings.  

Joffrey broke his word, that he would be merciful. That's the problem. After Ned was obviously defeated, sending him to the Wall could've bought Joff even some sympathy. After Ned's plot failed and his men killed, that could've been counted as the ruthless part of king Joffrey, if he was wise. 

Letting Ned to join the Night's Watch would've shown the merciful part of Joff. After all, sending a nobleman to the Wall is a very practical solution, and is done very often. 

The trick in ruling is to show mercy after being ruthless. 

3 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Joffrey broke his word, that he would be merciful. That's the problem. After Ned was obviously defeated, sending him to the Wall could've bought Joff even some sympathy. After Ned's plot failed and his men killed, that could've been counted as the ruthless part of king Joffrey, if he was wise. 

Letting Ned to join the Night's Watch would've shown the merciful part of Joff. After all, sending a nobleman to the Wall is a very practical solution, and is done very often. 

The trick in ruling is to show mercy after being ruthless. 

Joffrey never promised to send Ned to the wall, it was Cersei who urged him to and told the high septon he would but he never did.

1 minute ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Joffrey never promised to send Ned to the wall, it was Cersei who urged him to and told the high septon he would but he never did.

Was it that way? Well, might've mixed things up with the thing we should not speak of here.

However, I think my points still stand. A harmless Ned on the Wall wouldn't have hurt anybody. 

4 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Was it that way? Well, might've mixed things up with the thing we should not speak of here.

However, I think my points still stand. A harmless Ned on the Wall wouldn't have hurt anybody. 

Maybe, but if Ned can commit high treason and say Joffrey is a bastard with no claim to the throne, and then be allowed mercy as soon as things go bad for him, why should anyone respect his authority when he allows high treason to go fairly unscathed.

17 minutes ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Maybe, but if Ned can commit high treason and say Joffrey is a bastard with no claim to the throne, and then be allowed mercy as soon as things go bad for him, why should anyone respect his authority when he allows high treason to go fairly unscathed.

Revealing his plot, leaving him without a single bodyguard in the capital, and sending him to the Wall AFTER one has admitted his treason, well, that sounds quite enough to me.  

And executing Ned didn't stop others from plotting against Joff, on the contrary. 

If you practice only one approach while ruling, which would be a mixture of ruthlessness, harshness, and even sadism, you won't last long. 

If anything, for the sake of not having a discord with other people at court, including his mother, and for the sake of Sansa, who was his betrothed at the time, letting Ned to the Wall was a very practical solution. 

The late advice Tywin gave Joff about letting people live after they submit was spot on. 

The most unjustified part was threatening Ned with Sansa and Arya's lives. This wasn't Joffery himself, but it was people acting on his behalf. I can see it from Joffery's point of view but in doing so also ushered in a war,  it was a decision based on petulance rather than justice.

8 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Revealing his plot, leaving him without a single bodyguard in the capital, and sending him to the Wall AFTER one has admitted his treason, well, that sounds quite enough to me.  

And executing Ned didn't stop others from plotting against Joff, on the contrary. 

If you practice only one approach while ruling, which would be a mixture of ruthlessness, harshness, and even sadism, you won't last long. 

If anything, for the sake of not having a discord with other people at court, including his mother, and for the sake of Sansa, who was his betrothed at the time, letting Ned to the Wall was a very practical solution. 

The late advice Tywin gave Joff about letting people live after they submit was spot on. 

And Joffrey pardoned dozens of men sworn to stannis but not stannis himself. Stannis and Ned committed high treason and could not be forgiven but the men under them could.

9 minutes ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

And Joffrey pardoned dozens of men sworn to stannis but not stannis himself. Stannis and Ned committed high treason and could not be forgiven but the men under them could.

After Tywin arrived in the city, it was him who ruled. 

And let's not forget, Joffrey did not capture Stannis. It's not the same situation at all. Of course he won't pardon someone who is in an open rebellion and on the loose. Ned was humbled, captured and confessed. 

2 hours ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Let’s look at it from Joffreys PoV. I myself am a stark fan but even I won’t deny that from Joffrey point of view, Ned had every intention of taking the throne from him of which he thought was his birthright, unaware of his true heritage. This is high treason no matter how you sugarcoat it and I think that his execution was sad, yet justified.

Yes, inbred freaks make strange decisions 

Archived