Arm of Dorne - Hammer of the Waters & Breaking the Arm of Dorne

https://atlasoficeandfireblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/24/historical-map-2-the-arrival-of-the-first-men/

Check out the map and the article/section with the title 'Invasion of the First Men' and look at where the Arm of Dorne connects from Essos to Westeros. There are 2 branches, one in Dorne and one in the Stormlands.

What does everyone think about this take? 

Was the Hammer of the Waters not actually at Moat Cailin?

I have never seen this take before.

10 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

https://atlasoficeandfireblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/24/historical-map-2-the-arrival-of-the-first-men/

Check out the map and the article/section with the title 'Invasion of the First Men' and look at where the Arm of Dorne connects from Essos to Westeros. There are 2 branches, one in Dorne and one in the Stormlands.

What does everyone think about this take? 

Was the Hammer of the Waters not actually at Moat Cailin?

I have never seen this take before.

I like the map a lot, but it is speculative  

There are two instances of the Children breaking the land with a hammer of the waters: one is the Arm of Dorne, the other is the Neck.  Some speculate they happened at the same time.  The Arm of Dorne is thought to have been wrought from either the Isle of Faces or Moat Cailin, while the Neck is ascribed only to Moat Cailin.

I like his write up too but he's elaborated a lot on known detail so it can't be taken verbatim.

4 hours ago, Lady Barbrey said:

I like the map a lot, but it is speculative  

There are two instances of the Children breaking the land with a hammer of the waters: one is the Arm of Dorne, the other is the Neck.  Some speculate they happened at the same time.  The Arm of Dorne is thought to have been wrought from either the Isle of Faces or Moat Cailin, while the Neck is ascribed only to Moat Cailin.

I like his write up too but he's elaborated a lot on known detail so it can't be taken verbatim.

The map is gorgeous. It is sheer speculation though - all the lit I can find is this:

The World of Ice and Fire - Dorne: The Breaking

Many maesters find Cassander's arguments plausible and have come to accept his views. But whether the Breaking took place in a single night, or over the course of centuries, there can be no doubt that it occurred; the Stepstones and the Broken Arm of Dorne give mute but eloquent testimony to its effects. There is also much to suggest that the Sea of Dorne was once an inland freshwater sea, fed by mountain streams and much smaller than it is today, until the narrow sea burst its bounds and drowned the salt marshes that lay between.
Even if we accept that the old gods broke the Arm of Dorne with the Hammer of the Waters, as the legends claim, the greenseers sang their song too late.
No more wanderers crossed to Westeros after the Breaking, it is true, for the First Men were no seafarers...but so many of their forebears had already made the crossing that they outnumbered the dwindling elder races almost three to one by the time the lands were severed, and that disparity only grew in the centuries that followed, for the women of the First Men brought forth sons and daughters with much greater frequency than the females of the elder races. And thus the children and the giants faded, whilst the race of men spread and multiplied and claimed the fields and forests for their own, raising villages and forts and kingdoms.

This gives some support for the inland sea but as to its location we can only guess.

12 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

The map is gorgeous. It is sheer speculation though - all the lit I can find is this:

This gives some support for the inland sea but as to its location we can only guess.

Yes.  And he gave a great guess I think.  His map makes a lot of sense.  He does go on to say that the upper part that meets the Stormlands would be impossible to pass but that really is sheer speculation.  I prefer his map and the idea that they could pass straight through to the Stormlands, but that's just because of theories people developed on another thread about migration patterns.  Thanks for providing the link!

Archived