Knowing all we do now, who would have been the ideal bride for Robert to ensure peace in the realm?

Robb St0rk

Robert's marriage to Cersei sounded good on paper, but it ended up being a disaster.
However, we can't really blame Jon Arryn for this given that he never could have known.

But with everything we currently know about Westeros' noble families and their ambitions,
who would have been the perfect bride for Robert, in the context of ensuring the realm's peace?
Could there have been a perfect alliance formed that would make Robert's reign one of the most stable?
What do you think?  

2 minutes ago, wia said:

- Deny Tywin in making his daughter the queen and he'll plot to overthrow Robert
- Marry Cersei and she'll plot to overthrow Robert

Just can't win this one.

I can't deny that Tywin might still try to overthrow Robert, but if Robert were to marry someone else, someone that might secure an alliance or two, Tywin might not have the power to rebel.

7 minutes ago, Robb St0rk said:

I can't deny that Tywin might still try to overthrow Robert, but if Robert were to marry someone else, someone that might secure an alliance or two, Tywin might not have the power to rebel.

He wouldn't have to rebel. A wedding solves a thing or two, as we know. ;)

Whether he'd be successful or not is the question of course, but then could it be possible to make Cersei love Robert? - I don't know.

Was Stannis' engagement to Selyse made pre-Rebellion?  I'd fucking die laughing if Robert offered Stannis to Cersei, who was then shipped off to Dragonstone.  Cersei could live in her real dad's castle (I went there) and Stannis would spend all his time in King's Landing.

That said, from a purely political standpoint, Cersei for Robert was the right match.  It's not Robert's fault Cersei turned out to be... Cersei.  Even if he hadn't called her Lyanna on their wedding night, there's no denying who she is, or even was.  Even before their marriage she was an absolute psycho, having previously murdered one of her best friends and did who-knows-what to get Jaime into the KG.

9 minutes ago, LindsayLohan said:

Was Stannis' engagement to Selyse made pre-Rebellion? 

I'd guess not. Otherwise Stannis would surely complain of how he was betrayed by being besieged by the family of his betrothed. )))

11 minutes ago, LindsayLohan said:

I'd fucking die laughing if Robert offered Stannis to Cersei, who was then shipped off to Dragonstone.  Cersei could live in her real dad's castle (I went there) and Stannis would spend all his time in King's Landing.

I actually always though that Renly could possibly be the only husband that could do well with Cersei. They'd get along splendidly by never interacting. :D

11 minutes ago, wia said:

I actually always though that Renly could possibly be the only husband that could do well with Cersei. They'd get along splendidly by never interacting. :D

Solid point.  Plus, Cersei could accompany  Renly to court and spend her nights shagging Jaime.  It might be the happiest marriage possible.

If his love for Lyanna was genuine, I think giving him a happy marriage to her - a strong woman who might’ve been able to rein him in with Jon Arryn’s help - could have fixed, or at least lessened, some of Robert’s problems.

Although I do have to wonder how much of his pining for Lyanna is how he actually felt at the time, or if he is just building her up in his head, due to guilt and comparing her to Cersei.

13 minutes ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

A woman who would be fine with Bob's extramarital fun but who herself would remain faithful.  

Actually now that I think of it, I don't know if there's a single woman in Westeros that could stand the test of Robert's own hypocrisy.
Still, it's fun to think of what could have been.

Just now, Robb St0rk said:

Actually now that I think of it, I don't know if there's a single woman in Westeros that could stand the test of Robert's own hypocrisy.
Still, it's fun to think of what could have been.

Lollys? :ph34r:

I wonder what would Cathelyn be like if she married Robert.

2 minutes ago, M.Alhazred said:

Cat wouldn't put up with it.

She wouldn't, but what would she do about it, I wonder? What would be her way to put Robert in line.

Certainly she wouldn't be having bastards of her own and her own children would be legitimate black haired Baratheons. Would she try to get Robert killed? - I kind of doubt that, doesn't sound like her. I do feel like she might've actually been able to keep him in check somehow. But I can't think of how.

It wasn’t just Cersei. Robert would be a terrible King no matter what. He was a slave to his own lusts and gluttony. He is an unrestrained hedonist who has no interest in ruling. He was never going to be a good king. And Stannis would have been just as bad; he is too much of the opposite, too restrained and too rigid and narrow minded. Jon Arryn might have been a good king but we don’t know enough about him. Though frankly, this is the man who let his foster son Robert bankrupt the realm so that’s a really bad sign.

If Ned Stark had had the balls to sit on the Iron Throne, he would have been the king that Westeros needed, just like Jon Snow is the lord commander that the Wall and realm needs. Ned would have been miserable as king but his misery is a small price to pay for the good of the realm. I hate myself for saying it, but Cersei was right to chastise him for not taking the throne, but not for the same reasons she thought.

Archived