Knowing all we do now, who would have been the ideal bride for Robert to ensure peace in the realm?

Robb St0rk

Had Margaery Tyrell been born later she probably would have put up with Bob and birthed his children to become queen. I mean her closest brother's boyfriend wanted to make Marge Robert's mistress and possibly his new queen. I don't think Renly would be doing that if he or Loras thought Margaery couldn't handle  Robert's then well known antics and addictions.

2 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Had Margaery Tyrell been born later she probably would have put up with Bob and birthed his children to become queen. I mean her closest brother's boyfriend wanted to make Marge Robert's mistress and possibly his new queen. I don't think Renly would be doing that if he or Loras thought Margaery couldn't handle  Robert's then well known antics and addictions.

Best answer I’ve read so far. Plus the powerful alliance would keep the Lannister’s in check. 

5 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Agree, though I do wonder if the same problem might have ensued if the kids didn't look quite Baratheon enough.  Margaery was drinking moon tea for some undisclosed reason.  On the plus side, she's a brunette, right? So maybe no one would find out.

6 hours ago, Makk said:

First thing he should have done was to execute Varys and Littlefinger. Without them I think things would have been relatively peaceful.

Wasn’t LF just a nobody recovering from his duel with Brandon on Sheepshit at this time?

9 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

A woman who would be fine with Bob's extramarital fun but who herself would remain faithful.  

So almost any noble woman....... lol Robert is king, kings do what they want most woman would never dare cheat on their lord husband let alone their King husband ahah. 

He should have married someone from the loyalist camp. He marries Stalin to Florents to Show the stick to Tyrells but instead he could very well have taken himself a Tyrell bride if there were any or perhaps a Hightower one. If not Arianne was what, 10 at the time? He could have betrothed her and waited a few years. This is likely the best option for many other reasons as well, for starters to calm the things down between Stormlanders and Dornish.

11 hours ago, M.Alhazred said:

Cat wouldn't put up with it.

11 hours ago, wia said:

She wouldn't, but what would she do about it, I wonder? What would be her way to put Robert in line.

Certainly she wouldn't be having bastards of her own and her own children would be legitimate black haired Baratheons. Would she try to get Robert killed? - I kind of doubt that, doesn't sound like her. I do feel like she might've actually been able to keep him in check somehow. But I can't think of how.

Of course Catelyn would have put up with it. She had been too well trained in politics to make a deal about it.

In my opinion, Cersei was the only one that could have possibly been chosen as Robert's bride. Tywin wouldn't have had it any other way. The fact that it all went so horribly wrong should be seen as proof that Robert's Rebellion was a foolish endeavor in the first place.

17 minutes ago, bent branch said:

Of course Catelyn would have put up with it. She had been too well trained in politics to make a deal about it.

Well she chose to resolve the Bran issue by kidnapping Tyrion rather than by politics, so I don't know.

15 hours ago, Robb St0rk said:

Robert's marriage to Cersei sounded good on paper, but it ended up being a disaster.
However, we can't really blame Jon Arryn for this given that he never could have known.

But with everything we currently know about Westeros' noble families and their ambitions,
who would have been the perfect bride for Robert, in the context of ensuring the realm's peace?
Could there have been a perfect alliance formed that would make Robert's reign one of the most stable?
What do you think?  

14 hours ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

There wasn’t many available brides at that moment, im not sure if mace Tyrell’s two sisters were married at that point either

Indeed. But you cannot marry Robert to the Tyrells, or some of their powerful vassals Hightower and Redwyne, all were Targaryen supporters. Same with the Martells (Arianne was like 6-7?).

None of the core Baratheon supporters (Stark, Tully, Arryn) had a daughter/sister of the right age and you nevertheless need to bring extra forces in case of Tyrells and/or Martells plan rebellion.

There are neither no other powerful vassals in the kingdom (in the scale of Hightower/Redwyne) that would make sense to bring in. Maybe the only possibility would be Selyse as a warning to the Tyrells, but the Florents are not powerful enough in their own to bring extra stability to the new dynasty.

This leaves - unfortunately - only Cersei Lannister.

6 hours ago, Endymion I Targaryen said:

Catelyn Tully. She would be warmer to Robert and she would birth his children (no Stannis and Renly uprising). The marriage would be an unhappy one (compared to Ned-Catelyn match) but Robert kept his bastards out of Cersei's sight so Cat would tolerare that.

Except that unlike Cersei who wouldn't put up with having bastards around, Catelyn tolerates it so Redkeep would be full of bastards in no time. Only reason Robert's bastards are not in the court is when he brought the idea pf bringing Mya to court, Cersei made a threat about how dangerous the court could be.

On 10/16/2018 at 2:21 PM, Robb St0rk said:

Robert's marriage to Cersei sounded good on paper, but it ended up being a disaster.
However, we can't really blame Jon Arryn for this given that he never could have known.

But with everything we currently know about Westeros' noble families and their ambitions,
who would have been the perfect bride for Robert, in the context of ensuring the realm's peace?
Could there have been a perfect alliance formed that would make Robert's reign one of the most stable?
What do you think?  

Cersei. It has been written, it is known 

Age is not really important.  Robert could have been betrothed to a 6 year old from a notable house.  Stuff like that happened all the time in Europe.  Then he could have banged his way all around kings landing without even a modicum of guilt.

At this point maybe Cersei could have been betrothed to Renley, they do their own thing.  She still has her 3 inbred kids but maybe Renley would be a better father figure and Joff isnt a sadist sociopath.  Robert with free reign drinks and whores himself into an even earlier grave.  Stannis has an "accident" and we have Lannister "Baratheons" and no war.

16 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Wasn’t LF just a nobody recovering from his duel with Brandon on Sheepshit at this time?

Yes, it was the "Knowing all we do now" part of the thread title I was responding to. I don't think his choice of bride was essential or even particularly important, to peace in the realm. The realm was destabilised by the deliberate meddling of those two.

On 10/16/2018 at 5:21 PM, Robb St0rk said:

This is testimony to the power and might of the Lannisters.  They stayed neutral for over a year and then sacked King's Landing after the battle of the trident has been won.  Still they had to be pacified.  Koochie koochie koooo.  

On 10/16/2018 at 5:21 PM, Robb St0rk said:

What do you think?

No marriage alliance could have guaranteed peace for the realm.  There were many who called Robert the usurper behind his back.  Many mourned the Targaryens and yearned for their return.  Doran Martell and Varys.  I am sure many others would have rather have them back after the WOTFI (war of the five idiots) broke out.  

Robert took the throne by rebellion.  That only invites more rebellion because the absolute right to rule of the preceding dynasty was broken.  The unbreakable has been broken.  Something pure and sacred got tainted.  

There are even people across the ocean who wanted to replace Robert.  The archon who attended the wedding of Prncess Daenerys and Khal Drogo.  The Sealord of Braavos, who signed a pact with Ser Willem Darry and the Martells to take the throne back for the Targaryens.  

Look at what Robert and his reign did to the kingdom.  Times have never been this bad.  Robert is not all to blame, of course.  A lot of the blame will have to go to Cersei, Catelyn, Robb, Jon, Jaime, Balon, LF, and Renly for bringing the kingdom to its current state of disorder and discontent.  

9 hours ago, bent branch said:

Not the same thing at all.

Well it's not of course. But I'm just saying that Cathelyn is not 'take it as it is and shut up' kind of person.
I feel like she might've worked her womanly charms over Robert and surrounded him with all the right people for him to think twice about sleeping with everything that moves. Or maybe not, I don't know really. 

But I do figure she'd do better than Cersei. :P

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Why the rush to marry quickly? Besides there's like 25+ midlevel houses with suitable wives. Everyone has a daughter to offer to marry to a King. And every potential suitor will want to be a Queen.

Lastely Southern Ambitions is OVER. The safest route to go is midlevel or a small respectable house. To avoid a potential takeover.

You guys act like there's no other characters...

Archived