Why do you all hate Sansa Stark?

manchester_babe

In GoT she lied about the Joff/Mycah?Arya altercation (to protect Joff...) during the trip to Kings Landing.  This lie ended up giving Cersei enough justification to demand a wolf pelt, and Lady dies because of SANSA's weakness and lies, thats why I always hated her.

Sansa is the character who orbits closest to many people's hearts.   Consequently, she keeps bopping them in the head every time she flies round and round through their thoughts, so that people's feels about Sansa become heavily concussed.   Then they come here to go through the internet concussion protocol.     The rest is just people with differently distorted views of the character arguing over whether they see Sansa as having 4 fingers on her hand or 6.

32 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

The deep seated misogyny of sci-fi/fantasy fans.  

This.

And I'll add a very western culture/action hero idea of what strength is combined with little understanding of and appreciation for more nuanced (feminine) types strength.

Characters like Sansa, Jaime, Bran, Ned and Sam have gone through some pretty terrible things and they haven't let those experiences turn them bitter, angry, vengeful, rotten and hopeless.

I'v noticed that"why is Sansa hated" type threads gets posted rather often. Yet there are not many posts condemning her, from what I can see or recall anyway. So I'll ask, do you really think everyone hates Sansa? If so, what makes you think that?

I myself do not hate or dislike her, she was a sheltered child at the start of the series who was used as a pawn by adults and abused by a psychotic boy king. She has recently started to develop into a more mature character though, and  she is linked to one of the most interesting characters in the series IMO, Robert Arryn, Now if Sansa harms one hair on Strong Robin's head or knowingly allows anyone else to do so then I will absolutely hate her,

4 hours ago, Mindrot said:

In GoT she lied about the Joff/Mycah?Arya altercation (to protect Joff...) during the trip to Kings Landing.  This lie ended up giving Cersei enough justification to demand a wolf pelt, and Lady dies because of SANSA's weakness and lies, thats why I always hated her.

I understand where you're coming from.  Just consider this and put it all into perspective.  (1) Younger sister is murdering people.  She had no qualms killing an old man whose crime is selling insurance policies.  This little sister kills a brother of the watch in cold blood.  (2) Half-brother is guilty of treason at the wall for starting a war with the Boltons.  (3)  Younger brother is warging and disabusing the one person he could count on.  For selfish motives.  Do you see where I'm going with this?  Sansa is dimwitted and selfish but she is not a murderer, traitor, nor skinchanger.  Sansa the airhead is the most close to the average, modern teenager.  Feeling all entitled and dreaming of undeserved grandeur.  But she is not a criminal.  

5 hours ago, Mindrot said:

1) She was also lying to protect Arya, since if she definitively said what happened - that Arya and Arya's wolf attacked the crown prince - Arya could have at minimum lost one of her hands.

1a) Sansa had told her father the whole story during the time Arya was missing. Yet Ned never spoke up and corrected or clarified Sansa's story. Try shifting some blame to the adult in the room.

2) Cersei doesn't need any justification to demand a wolf pelt, least of all from a preteen girl.

2a) Robert is the one who let Cersei get away with her demand for a wolf pelt, just because he didn't care to listen to his wife nag at him all night. Try shifting some blame to the adult in the room.

3) Lady doesn't die because of Sansa's weakness. She died because Ned killed her.

3a) After Ned killed Lady, he sent her dead body home with a few servants to have her buried in Winterfell. Why didn't he send Lady alive back to Winterfell? Who would have been the wiser? Try shifting some blame to the adult in the room.

TL;DR Quit blaming the small children. Adults bear the responsibility for underage kids.

The first time I read the series I did hate Sansa - as far as one can hate a fictional character.

Now that I'm rereading the books I admit that I was too hard on her: every character, even my favourites, make mistakes. But what I still don't like about her is that she never shows any regret for what she's done.

She betrays her family more than once, and yes, she's young and silly and at least once she doesn't do harm on purpose... But she never thinks back about her mistakes.

37 minutes ago, LadyOlenna said:

The first time I read the series I did hate Sansa - as far as one can hate a fictional character.

Now that I'm rereading the books I admit that I was too hard on her: every character, even my favourites, make mistakes. But what I still don't like about her is that she never shows any regret for what she's done.

She betrays her family more than once, and yes, she's young and silly and at least once she doesn't do harm on purpose... But she never thinks back about her mistakes.

Very few of the characters do unless you read between the lines. If all of the characters mulled over their mistakes, grief, loss, etc like readers thought they should, then the books would be just one long and boring wet blanket. Notice we’re never in a character’s head when they get really bad news, when their grief is at its worst, etc?

And Sansa is literally getting beaten repeatedly for her mistakes. Her thinking about them on page would be redundant.

Though Sansa is far from my favorite character I still enjoy her chapters for the simple fact that she is well-educated, so she knows the house names, people, sigals and things. And I wouldn't say she's dim. She seems pretty observant for the most part, just naive. 

We're meant to dislike Sansa at the beginning of the series. We see her and contrast her with Arya, and naturally take the side of the precocious, tomboy underdog against the spoilt airhead. As the books progress, and she wises up, we're meant to start rooting for her.

I don't think many people on here "hate" her as such, though some are overly harsh on her given her age and very limited options throughout.  

Archived