Why do you all hate Sansa Stark?

manchester_babe

15 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

You mean Dontos does not conform to her childish ideal of what a knight should be?  Undoubtedly not.  I mean he turns up dead drunk and wearing no trousers or anything else south of his belt for that matter.  He does not conform to my expectation of a knight either!  He does make a rather pathetic spectacle.  And yet she helps him.

Bastardy is a huge deal in this society.  Being asked to pretend to be one and risk being treated with a degree of contempt or roughness because of it (Marillion springs to mind) is a big deal.  It is shameful in her eyes but this does not make her any different to any other highborn girl.

Eh, I guess she could be described as a snob but to me that is a term that implies that someone thinks they are better than other people or acts like it when in reality our society does not distinguish between people based on birth or wealth any more (bear with me on that point!).  It's a pejorative term and a valid criticism of someone's actions or attitude.  But in a feudal society people genuinely believe that hierarchy is natural and right and that rulers are superiors not first among equals.

Her birth entitles her to status and privilege that she wears with a degree of aloofness that Arya does not.  She seems a little superficial and empty-headed and is unaware (or in denial) of some unpleasant things around her; she is living her dream and that makes her less self-reflecting or prepared to question things or to look too closely at people to realize the dream is a sham.  I really don't know how different that makes her to other sheltered 11 year old girls who seem to have all their hopes and fantasies about to come true and I'm not sure it makes her a snob - she seems too polite or courteous to look down on or disparage those around her.  And it all changes pretty fast.

Westeros, Starks in particular, are feudal as hell, sure. But i never got the feeling like they felt superior, as Cersei put it, "We're not Targaryens". Dany has a sense of superiority that I don't see other characters having. Bran and the clansman or Cat and the inkeep didnt seem like a demining conversation. 

Shes certainly no Arya, but hanging out with the King and his friends does sound better then stick fighting with smallfolk. (though looking for Rhegars rubies sounds amazing) But Sansa doesnt spend time with smallfolk and you cant really blame her since the riot.

(Marillion got around plenty with non basterds also, Lysa encouraged it, but Alayne was being protected by Petyrs guy) I get being a basterds not great, but an alibi is an alibi, it doesn't really matter as long as its believable. Thats why Yollo quickly corrected his name to Hugor Stone. Not that Tyrions a little girl, but neither really is Sansa. Shes grown alot, and not just her breasts. In affc and twow we see her lauging off lies like the best of them, only a few months (i guess) after Alayne was created.

And Sansa should have a special reserve for basterds that other lordlings dont. Yet the loves not as clear for Jon as it is for the others (granted the boys are dead and probably Arya too and even if she isnt their relationship is intense) She refers to Jon almost exclusively as her half basterd brother Jon, and the story she told Arya about her being a basterd is not just cruel to Arya but vastly to Jon, seemingly putting them both below the three Stark boys. It also must have done a number on Cat, and she must have done a number on her children throughout their lives. (Jeyne Westerling with a basterd springs to mind) Yet still the other children's relationship with Jon seems more love then formal, which is pretty snobby. Maybe your on to something with this superiority lol

Archived