The Good Place S4 - We Have a Group Text now (spoilers)

HexMachina

On 10/27/2018 at 7:55 AM, red snow said:

The pace of the show has been its saviour so far. But it does feel like their our only so many things you can do before it gets stale. The fact they apparently aren't even in the good place/afterlife for me feels a bit endgame to me

The creators said when it started they have plans for 5 seasons and that's the end.

On 10/27/2018 at 12:06 AM, Kalbear said:

I'm a bit sad we didn't get more of the worst Hemsworth brother, and this ep was not hugely deep, but it had some good parts.

• Eleanor and Simone almost getting freaky
  • Chidi trying and failing multiple times about ANYTHING is awesome
  • The Jacksonville airport scene was amazing, especially that taxi
  • Janet's "bing" and her secret programming of Jason Statham

Nothing will top existential bender Chidi, but it was solid. 

Nah, Liam is still the worst Hemsworth brother. ;) And BTW, Miley Cyrus certainly didn't write "Wrecking Ball" about him, because she did not write that song, period - but it was Jason who said that, which makes perfect sense. :D

That episode was my least favorite of the season, but the one with Chidi going all nuts and nihilistic was great. I wonder how many more episodes they can devote to saving other people. Jason, Eleanor and Tahani have now all had resolutions with their family members and/or friends. I guess Chidi should be next. Then what?

Well first of all, if you are going to have people speak Hungarian in your show, you need to have all Hungarian stand-ins, because dude I needed those English subs to understand what the fatter guy was saying. Also, maybe don’t use google translate for converting the originally English script? 

Second of all, how did I miss kamilah’s exhibit at the museum of fine arts? Tsk-tsk... what a loss. 

Anyway, the episode was kinda boring though I did like the fact that tahani finally understood her sister. Eleanor’s story was impossibly boring and it didn’t take her anywhere. I mean what changed? 

Jason was fun and had a great eye for modern art.  Other than that, nothing else really happened. But I was preoccupied with looking for everything wrong with the museum of fine arts bits, so I wasn’t bored at all. 

I guess Eleanor learned that while her mum was a deadbeat she had changed. Being able to forgive her was probably good for her too. Plus she can't use the "bad mum" excuse quite as easily anymore because "bad mum" was capable of change as is she.

Have we ever heard anything about chidi's family? Seems like we've only seen his best friend and the colleague with the boots.

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Well first of all, if you are going to have people speak Hungarian in your show, you need to have all Hungarian stand-ins, because dude I needed those English subs to understand what the fatter guy was saying.

Given the Australian accents earlier in the season I can only assume this is intentional.

I'm still enjoying the hell out of it and don't feel like its floundering at all. I think Eleanor admitting why she wanted her Mum to still be bad was the first admission of the pain of her childhood that actually came from a place of showing vulnerability, rather than a "show how it made me tough" kind of place and the forgiveness was important too.

It also seems pretty obvious to me that contrary to their beliefs (shared by Janet and Michael) they are actually earning their place in The Good Place now. Rather than condemning them to damnation, them learning about the afterlife was coupled with telling them they were absolutely going to TBP which means all of the good they are doing now is not being done from self interest - they don't think anything they do can save themselves which is precisely why it will. That doesn't mean that the manifesto won't come up, there won't be other twists or that its not actually a simulation focused on Michael and Janet - just that at the same time they are proving that they can improve without hope of a reward which calls the entire system of judgement into question.

This latest ep was almost like a clip show, but it was still pretty awesome given that we got a lot of clips of things we've never seen. The Jaguars mythical penguin, Tahanya, Chidi in the space bubble - all pretty good. And I like that they're talking about free will and determinism as well. 

Trying to figure out who we know who is in rural Canada who would be a good template for goodness. I'm going to guess one of Chidi's relatives, because we've gone with everyone else recently - but it could be that guy who figured everything out almost. 

The demons opening up a portal though - that seems pretty interesting and is probably setting up the endgame for this season. 

4 hours ago, Sci-2 said:

The Mega Demon thing...clue or just a nod to fan theories?

That is the question of questions...

It did feel like they were playing with online fan theories in that moment. They played it well as it could have been a hint of things to come or just a friendly acknowledgement.

I agree with kalbear in that it had a weird clip episode feel to it and felt repetitive without it actually being repetitive.

The guy in Canada makes it seem like they may actually go the prophet route with the soul squad as the apostles. Potentially dangerous territory.

9 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Trying to figure out who we know who is in rural Canada who would be a good template for goodness. I'm going to guess one of Chidi's relatives, because we've gone with everyone else recently - but it could be that guy who figured everything out almost.

It's gotta be Doug Forcett, he was living in Calgary when he had his revaluation long ago.

On 11/10/2018 at 5:24 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

I really do love this show 

Co-signed.

Please tell me I wasn't the only one who paused the show to read every item on that screen about Eleanor that Michael opened up during the reboot where he immediately told her she was in hell. The list of enemies alone was worth reading it. Also, "shrimp farts" made me LLOL (literally laugh out loud). 

I really do love this show. :D

Now THIS was a cool episode! :commie: I loved loved loved the wrong blueprint for goodness guy. It was so on point and the jokes were spot on. I also enjoyed Jason this episode too and Michael was as good as ever. Kung-fu Janet was cool, though I preferred the awkwardly funny machine like Janet of the previous seasons rather than the moral compass Janet. Oh well. Glad to see the demons are still in the game too. 

4 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

ow THIS was a cool episode! :commie: I loved loved loved the wrong blueprint for goodness guy. It was so on point and the jokes were spot on. I also enjoyed Jason this episode too and Michael was as good as ever. Kung-fu Janet was cool, though I preferred the awkwardly funny machine like Janet of the previous seasons rather than the moral compass Janet. Oh well. Glad to see the demons are still in the game too. 

Chidi shouting 3 MILLLION points will never get old. I love it when Chidi just rolls with it and somehow does awesome. 

Ninja Janet is awesome. 

I wish shirtless mailman boyfriend somehow managed to fight shirtless Chidi. 

The mystery of accountancy is pretty neat, and I wonder if the manifesto is going to be used not as a bad thing but as a weapon against the accountants - basically, if everyone is damned no matter what (as Sean hinted at), might as well let everyone know about the system and ruin the accounting for everyone, ever. 

Finally, this is amazing:

https://twitter.com/justinkirkland4/status/1063289191453335552

Archived