The Good Place S4 - We Have a Group Text now (spoilers)

HexMachina

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Janet :wub: The return of Maya Rudolph as the Judge also pleased me. Much love for her

It does seem appropriate that it seems like it may be Chidi's philosophy that might save the day, it's going right back to the initial premise of the show.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Only one episode left and no discussion?  I was pretty surprised about how the penultimate episode went.  It felt like it could have been the last episode, and I'm not really sure what the final episode is going to cover, since there aren't a ton of loose ends.  Which feels very unusual generally for a series finale.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Only one episode left and no discussion?  I was pretty surprised about how the penultimate episode went.  It felt like it could have been the last episode, and I'm not really sure what the final episode is going to cover, since there aren't a ton of loose ends.  Which feels very unusual generally for a series finale.

My guess is that it's a time jump forward to when they decide to walk through the final door.

Spoiler

The penultimate episode felt a bit rushed to me. I think that concept (that the good place is broken and needs fixing too) could have fueled several episodes easily, maybe even an entire season.

So the directors of the good place honestly seem more evil than the demons in some ways imo.

They seemed to have been  totally apathetic towards Humanity’s fate.

At least the demons see humans as play things. 

The directors just see humanity as a burden that they’d avoid at all cost.

Even when the judge was on the cusp of destroying humanity they didn't seek out out the group to try even offer a token”I’m sorry Humanity will die.”

They only went along with the group to talk to Shaun after they were bothered.

And expressed anger at the group for not simply accepting Shaun’s compromise. 

Because in the end that would end the prospect of the humans bothering them further. 

That's sort of the point - neither the demons or the angels know shit about humans, and both are fine blindly following the rules. That's been the overall message about the afterlife at every single turn - blind obedience to the law without compassion is cruelty. 

8 hours ago, Liffguard said:

My guess is that it's a time jump forward to when they decide to walk through the final door.

Hide contents

The penultimate episode felt a bit rushed to me. I think that concept (that the good place is broken and needs fixing too) could have fueled several episodes easily, maybe even an entire season.

While that's true , it makes sense from a narrative perspective to have one final challenge for the group before, presumably, their rest and a final goodbye in the last episode - or, perhaps, another twist.

Besides, the problem in the Good Place wasn't one that provided a whole lot of conflict or tension to drive a plot.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

That's sort of the point - neither the demons or the angels know shit about humans, and both are fine blindly following the rules. That's been the overall message about the afterlife at every single turn - blind obedience to the law without compassion is cruelty. 

I agree, that's a core message, but I kinda feel that's missing some things. 

The Demons are shown to break the rules-but really by they’re  supposed to do such things because they're demons.

Shaun and the demons do defy the Judge’s explicit  on a number of occasions. 

It’d be against Shaun’s nature to be agreeable. To do be reasonable in regards to dealing with the group. He literally has been placed as the epitome of evil.

It kinda reminds me of the paradigm between the God of Abraham and the devil.

God created the devil.

Everything the devil is would be because God created him as such.

So how could the Devil truly be defiant when acting in the exact nature God set for him? 

Sorry I may be rambling here. 

14 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

So the directors of the good place honestly seem more evil than the demons in some ways imo.
They seemed to have been  totally apathetic towards Humanity’s fate.

I think it's more that they're burnt out. They do want to fix the Good Place, but they've been trying and failing for thousands of years.

9 hours ago, felice said:

I think it's more that they're burnt out. They do want to fix the Good Place, but they've been trying and failing for thousands of years.

That also bothered me-did they ever actually ask for help from the Judge? Or any of the humans to actually come up with ways to fix the place? Presumably before they became living zombies .

It just seems they were rather passive with things.

I can’t help, but think (though they’d pretend otherwise), that they hoped the group would fail. And would have preferred Shaun winning and dooming humanity to torment because that would mean there’s no possibility for more humans to get in the good place.

Also, just now realizing there appears to be no children in the good place. It kinda seems weird only adults got into heaven.

5 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Also, just now realizing there appears to be no children in the good place. It kinda seems weird only adults got into heaven.

I don't know why. It's entirely within the parameters of what we know about the scoring system. You have to score a certain number of points, and if you've only lived a few years you don't have the opportunity to score that many points. It isn't a great relative scale, after all, as we know from the ballad of Doug - while it does use total opportunity to score points as a factor, you still need to score some. And unless you did great deeds as a selfless kid and then died at 5, chances are good you're hosed. 

Though if the thought of every toddler that ever lived being tortured forever is a bit brutal for the show (though the show can be brutal), we could imagine that there's A Kids Place somewhere separate to the adult Good Place, Bad Place, and In-between Place. 

7 hours ago, dog-days said:

Though if the thought of every toddler that ever lived being tortured forever is a bit brutal for the show (though the show can be brutal), we could imagine that there's A Kids Place somewhere separate to the adult Good Place, Bad Place, and In-between Place. 

We've never seen or heard mention of any children in the Bad Place.  We can really only speculate what happens to children. 

That also bothered me-did they ever actually ask for help from the Judge? Or any of the humans to actually come up with ways to fix the place? Presumably before they became living zombies .

I can't imagine the Judge being very helpful! And I'd guess it was the humans going all zombie that made them realise there was a problem to fix, so a bit late to ask them for ideas.

I'd guess they grow up until they reach their personal optimal age. So there would be children, but with each child around for only a few years out of eternity, the percentage of children would be very low.

5 minutes ago, felice said:

I can't imagine the Judge being very helpful! And I'd guess it was the humans going all zombie that made them realise there was a problem to fix, so a bit late to ask them for ideas.

I'd guess they grow up until they reach their personal optimal age. So there would be children, but with each child around for only a few years out of eternity, the percentage of children would be very low.

Sadly, though children are dying every day. So even though they only stay children for a brief time there should always be quite a few running around the Good Place. Of course they can always explain that children go to the "Special Place" to have the childhood they should have had when alive, and then get introduced into gen pop once they reach...18?

Archived