The Good Place S4 - We Have a Group Text now (spoilers)

HexMachina

22 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Sadly, though children are dying every day. So even though they only stay children for a brief time there should always be quite a few running around the Good Place. Of course they can always explain that children go to the "Special Place" to have the childhood they should have had when alive

Not in the last 500 years :( But now everyone gets a Special Place to mature into qualifying for the Good Place, and for kids that would presumably include growing up at least somewhat.

Excellent! This calls for my comfy clothes* and a cuppa when i get home from work tonight then!

*my oldest, raggiest hooded top, pyjama bottoms and fluffy socks. I said comfort not fashion!

eta: said it before but i love Maya Rudolph as the Judge. “Gonna erase the Earth!” :lol: (Yes this a couple of weeks back now, i know)

10 hours ago, felice said:

I can't imagine the Judge being very helpful! And I'd guess it was the humans going all zombie that made them realise there was a problem to fix, so a bit late to ask them for ideas.

Yeah but we’re talking about Humans over the course of literally thousands of years.

Like after the first batch or second batch they should know something is going wrong.

Like, they could have been communicating with the last human that was accepted in five hundred ago just before he or she got stupid.

23 hours ago, dog-days said:

Though if the thought of every toddler that ever lived being tortured forever is a bit brutal for the show (though the show can be brutal), we could imagine that there's A Kids Place somewhere separate to the adult Good Place, Bad Place, and In-between Place. 

Meh, this seems to break the canon for the show. 

If there was such a special place for children it’d be certainly mentioned by now.

Just because the demons mostly explicitly reference torturing adults doesn’t mean there aren’t any children down in .

I cannot help, but feel the prospect of having no afterlife after death should have been presented. I know a more permanent solution came in the Good place-where in they were allowed to cease to exist.

But why not simply have that the default?

What exactly necessitated there being a need for an afterlife in the first place? 

It felt earned to me, but jfc that hit me hard. I'm very much Eleanor in reaction to the others leaving and I'm a long way from being OK with my mortality. The show saved up 4 seasons of confronting me with that to dump it all on the finale.

It wasn't super funny, but it was really sweet, and I liked it and was happy with their endings. 

I'm a bit sad Janet didn't get an ending, exactly. And I felt a bit let down by Eleanor giving up and moving on. By the same token, I love what they did with Tahani. 

16 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

That was a good ending, but it was also the most emotionally manipulative content I've seen since the last Robin Hobb book.

That is no doubt why for me it was the perfect ending then ;) 

my only real quibble is as Kal notes above, Janet not really having an ending as such. Elaenor and Chidi’s parting was a particularly well done part i thought

49 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

This was fantastic. 

Janet not having an ending was the point. The others will go, she'll always be there.

That's entirely reasonable, but it also sucks ass as far as a character arc for her and an end for the show. Even Derek became one with the universe and a floating head galaxy. She got to be the last thing everyone else saw, and that's great, but there wasn't really anything for her. And that makes me a bit sad. 

Not bad. I like the ultimate version of heaven they came up with (i.e. living a fulfilling life and then "leaving").

I didn't expect an amazing finale for the show, but what they did was satisfying and not without depth.

If I had to quibble I think they should have come up with a special ending for Eleanor like they did for Tahani.

Also, I'm surprised they didn't mention reincarnation as a possible solution, that seemed like the elephant in the room. While I get that it wouldn't have been the solution, they should have at least considered it.
Also, one of Eleanor's "specks" could have landed on a baby at the end, that would have been in line with her characyer.

Janet did have her speech about how she experiences time all at once, her ending is every moment she’s ever experienced.

The only thing that tripped me up was the very ending, I’ve never rewatched any earlier seasons so I’m trying to remember the relevance of ‘take it sleazy’, was that something Eleanor used to say?

No, it was from an earlier episode where Michael talks about the human things he wants to do.

The finale was... fine. One or two very touching moments: I teared up when Chidi was giving his Buddhist speech to Eleanor. But overall, it was less than I hoped for. It had a lot to live up to, but it felt like a coda, not an ending.

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

The only thing that tripped me up was the very ending, I’ve never rewatched any earlier seasons so I’m trying to remember the relevance of ‘take it sleazy’, was that something Eleanor used to say?

He says it previously it in this scene, for example:

Overall, I thought it was a good finale for the show. I think none of the recent attempts to come up with new scenarios were quite as good as those in the first couple of seasons, so it was probably about the right to bring the show to a close while it could still go out on a high. I liked that the show continued to question its own premise and found problems within the genuine Good Place and I thought they came up with an appropriate solution for it. I thought the episode gave all the characters some good closure to their story arcs (aside from Janet who is just staying Janet).

I really liked the finale. Janet staying Janet was the right call IMO. She'd already become an evolved from of Janet a few seasons ago, and there was no issue with Janet finding an end, because she already knew everything and experiences all time and space simultaneously. Although the solution to the Good Place finally created something that Janet didn't know, which is a satisfying end for Janet's story.

Late to the party. I really liked the show and obviously it is very satisfying that they found the actual Good Place and the solution for those who wanted to end their stay. But the goodbye of Chidi and Eleanor was just so sad. Good thing there was that final Jason appearance to make me smile, otherwise it would have made me cry. Jason spent his last days in a forest meditating, feeling at peace with nature ... like a monk. :D 

One thing that I don't think fit was that Michael got to go to Earth and just appear there as an adult man. Would it not have made more sense to let him experience the whole human life, meaning he would be somehow born as a baby and get to experience human childhood, adolescence, adulthood up to old age? If they wanted to make his wish of really experiencing life on Earth come true, why would they only allow him to appear there are a 60-something man? Not to even mention that this severely cuts into his time to collect afterlife points, since that clock only started for him as an older adult, which means he would probably get stricter testing, more time in the Medium/Testing Place after his death etc.

I don't think they wanted to wipe his memories and live a life from scratch, and he's grown attached to his appearance - it's who he chose to be. Maybe they could have made him look like Cheers Ted Danson, but that would have taken CGI so they just went with it.

On 2/12/2020 at 4:25 AM, karaddin said:

I don't think they wanted to wipe his memories and live a life from scratch, and he's grown attached to his appearance - it's who he chose to be. Maybe they could have made him look like Cheers Ted Danson, but that would have taken CGI so they just went with it.

I am sure it was because they wanted to use the same actor. Just didn't seem logical inside the story to me that they wanted to give him something he really wished for, but then they only gave him the latter part of it. I don't have a big problem with it.

On 2/16/2020 at 4:32 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

Finally finished. 

Anyone else pause it to read what Michael Realman was texting?

”Only five minutes a away”

Yep, very ironic. ;) 

Archived