Ellard Stark

Did the Red Comet _____ ?

The death of Drogo lit the glass candles.  MMD's, Visery's and Rhaego's death paid for the dragons.  Drogo was the Nissa Nissa that lit the glass candles.  His King's blood, an undefeated one at that, lit those candles. 

On 10/20/2018 at 11:56 PM, redriver said:

Woah.Take it easy on the absinthe fella.

Wormwood , Weirwood. I never considered the Absinthe connection lol

On 10/18/2018 at 11:09 AM, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

"When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt."

It heralded Dany being born again as Azor Ahai.

Yes.  Perhaps it opened a magic doorway between the worlds of the living and the dead.  The ritual was a powerful form of necromancy that pulled the dragons from the stone.  Stone is grey.  Grey is death.  Azor Ahai performed necromancy beneath the trail of the red comet.

On 10/21/2018 at 8:38 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

The death of Drogo lit the glass candles.  MMD's, Visery's and Rhaego's death paid for the dragons.  Drogo was the Nissa Nissa that lit the glass candles.  His King's blood, an undefeated one at that, lit those candles. 

We need to look at the timing.  Did the candles start glowing right after Drogo's death?  That would make them one of the possible lightbringers.  

Maybe lightbringers are like when somebody drops a coin into a juke box.  So each time around the Lightbringer can be sparked by various artifacts, rituals, spells and sacrifices, but they all pay to keep magic going for a while, keeping the Lights on and the candles burning.  Until the jukebox is done playing one more song of ice and fire. 

You don't need to gank your wife, Jim.  Not necessarily.  Azor probably just used that excuse to get out of a bad marriage.  You just need to pay magic's fee.   And the fee, in short, is CUTTING YOUR OWN HEART OUT.    .....T'would explain why the coldhearted Others are so good at the magics, wouldn't it.

I think the red comet is a red-herring. Its a literal representation of "when the red star bleeds" which references when AA is reborn. Daenerys' story follows the mythology of AA very literally, but on the other hand Jon's is much more subtle. The bleeding star could also refer to the sword Dawn after Ned has killed Arthur Dayne.

So i think the red comet was a plot point to help disguise the fact that Jon is the real Azor Ahai.

The red comet is fire and blood.  Like Baggins had a dagger that lit itself in the presence of orcs, the red comet lights up and makes its appearance in response to the mobilization of the Others.  The glass candles also serve the same purpose.  The sacrifice of Mirri Maz Duur, Khal Drogo, the stallion, Rhaego, and Viserys lit the candles in preparation for the long night.  Azor Ahai sacrificed those people and that is what lit the candles and brought back the dragons.  

Azor Ahai was a smith, he created three swords, the last one was the Red Sword of Heroes.  In the faith of the Seven,  the Smith is Mars, the red planet, what if the Red Comets are coming from Mars and it is called the smith because it creates "swords."  The Red Comet doesn't orbit the sun, they are just shot out of the solar system to populate other planets with weirwood.  What if Mars is completely covered in weirwoods?

Mars passes through the 12 houses of the zodiac, "the sword plunged into water" was when Mars was in Aquarius or Pisces it launched a comet, "the sword plunged into a Lion's heart" is when Mars was in Leo it launched a comet, and "the sword plunged into Nissa Nissa's heart" was when Mars was in Virgo (or near the Moon in the sky) it launched the comet that came to Earth and hit the dark object that was causing the Long Night eclipse.

In Norse mythology the beginning of Ragnarok is signaled by three roosters crowing, one of them is red.  I think we will see three comets.

We know that Mars was in Virgo when Jon stole Ygritte, how many months were between the first appearance of the Red Comet and Jon meeting Ygritte?  Then we could figure out what house Mars was in when the Red Comet first appeared.  There is about a year between Mars being in Virgo and it being in Aquarius.

(I don't know where else to put this but I think "Ygritte" comes from the Latin "aegritudo" meaning "sickness or grief")

I don't know why the Wildlings call Mars the Thief, anybody got an idea?  What does it steal?  Is it a play on words. steal/steel, that would work with the Mars making swords idea.

Also, the Church of Starry Wisdom, what are they praying to?  If the Bloodstone is an ASOIAF version of Lovecraft's Shining Trapezohedron, that was able to link the users mind to other worlds, what if the Bloodstone can link the users mind to all of the weirwoods on Mars and across the galaxy?

Also, this is only half-baked but Tyrion is an anagram of Yin-tar  --  Tar-yin or tyrian, and Yin Tar was a woman with a monkey's tail, Tyrion was supposed to be a hermaphrodite with a tail.  And monkey tail is a plant that is also called heliotrope, heliotrope stone is called bloodstone.  Tyrion will find the Bloodstone.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:01 PM, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

My favourite speculation on the Red Comet is that its there just to show that people from different factions interpret it in different ways, e.g. Daenerys and her dragons, Joffrey's coronation, Robb's coronation, etc.  

So much this. Its there. And the people who witness it will ascribe it to their culture. 

Edited by TheThreeEyedCow

On 11/20/2018 at 8:52 PM, By Odin's Beard said:

Azor Ahai was a smith,

And The Smith in ASOIF is also... a red star.

To be more precise, is one of 7 "wandering stars" (planets in reality, but people of Planetos, call them wandering stars)

associeted with the 7 goods of the faith.

Worth of notice is also that Free Falk calls that very same planet/star... the Thief. As Ygritte informs us, specifing that the best moment to steal a woman is when the Thief is in the Maidenmoon. And that was the case when Jon "stole" her.

However, if the red bleeding star, is the Smith/Thief indeed, then by association it may refer to:

- Robert dying (the warharmer=the smith) -> and meanwhile Daenerys gives birth to the Dragons

But also...

- Raeghar dying (Thief because he stole Lyanna) -> meanwhile Jon is born

- Jon dying or being stabbed (he stole Ygritte, many believe he did that with Val too, and he's stabbed the day he receives the pink letter, where Ramsey accuses him of stealing his bride). And if so, the Azor Ahai reborn doesn't refer to his second coming (to when he is reborn in the new... era) but to a "re-birth" as an hero, to his... resurrection in this actual (second) life. 

Or the red star bleeding is just the comet...

Edited by lalt

Its going to drop some carbon rich ore that they can create more valyrianish (Damascus) steel with.

On 10/18/2018 at 8:33 AM, Ellard Stark said:

We have yet to figure out what the ordeal of the Red Comet is... so what do you think is the best explanation? With the material (lore) we have right now.

What Should've Taken the Black said:

On 10/18/2018 at 11:09 AM, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

"When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt."

It heralded Dany being born again as Azor Ahai.

It heralds the rebirth of the dragons.  Or resurrection of the dragons if you prefer.  

7 hours ago, Timm said:

Its going to drop some carbon rich ore that they can create more valyrianish (Damascus) steel with.

It's going to drop some hurt on the Others and those who enslave the weak.  

I think the Red comet is of the same black stone that the Bloodstone Emperor worshipped. After the black stone fell from the sky it ushered in the long night. I think this red comet is doing the same and the long night will come again. I also think Euron went to the crash sight of the comet and currently has a piece of it. TWoW Spoiler

Spoiler

"He showed the world his blood eye now, dark and terrible." Immediately after the damphair recalls the "bleeding star" I believe Euron is wearing a piece of the "bleeding" star in his empty eye socket

It seems the comet must be showing to be able to swap the soul of an unborn child with a dragon. Or maybe it is what allows the soul to burn without being consumed.

I don't know if we'll ever find out for sure, but I personally think it was triggered by the birth of the three dragons. We know there was magic of some kind involved with their hatching, so it seems plausible that there would be some sort of mystical heralding of their reemergence into the world.