Does anyone find Meereen plot entertaining or interesting?

Ellard Stark

1 hour ago, Ellard Stark said:

Thats why there are so little threads on this subplot. I would rather prefer if Dany ended somewhere more vibrant in Essos.

P.S. Quaithe is the Harpy.

I think it is kind of interesting... sort of...

I really enjoy the Barristan chapters, less so the Danaerys ones. IMO the Shavepate is one of the most interesting characters in the series, and I really want to know more about those Pit Fighters!

I really like it, there is some great philosophical issues underneath it all, like:

- is freedom more important than comfort? (the slave wishing to sell himself to his old master)

- does the end justify the means? (Astapors upheavals)

- where is the line between justice and revenge? (crucifixes galore)

- right to tradition vs right to agency (pit-fighters wanting to re-open the pits)

Although they all bleed into one another. Freedom vs comfort most of all.

Its not the best arc but certainly not the worst either. I'm looking forward to seeing the upcoming battle in TWoW between Daenerys' followers, and Yunkai and Volantis though. I think the chaos of that battle will definitely make up for Daenerys' overall mediocre arc in ADwD. 

I love all of Dany's chapters.  Especially the Meereenese story line.  To me, it's the best parts of this epic story.

Political intrigue, lots of magic, Daenerys, her dragons, the Harpy, Barristan, Daario, Belwas, Greyworm.  Oh yes.  It's everything I love about the books.

Does anyone find Meereen plot entertaining or interesting?

I can speak for myself.  I love the Meereen plot.  They are my second favorite among Dany's POV chapters.  Dany's POV chapters are my favorite.  I like the supernatural.  Put in a beautiful woman and her dragons.  Brave knights and the exotic mystery of the east.  They're a great read for me.  

11 hours ago, Ellard Stark said:

Thats why there are so little threads on this subplot. I would rather prefer if Dany ended somewhere more vibrant in Essos.

Slaver's Bay is where the happening is in Essos.  The fight to end the slave trade is the most important fight in the series.  I know I'm biased because I love Dany but I enjoyed reading those Mereen pages.  It just goes to show this world is a lot bigger and more complex than Westeros.  I have a theory that the more reasonable people in Westeros will wisely flee to Essos to survive the long night.  Two of the most important characters are in Slaver's Bay, Daenerys Targaryen and Tyrion Lannister.   Dany's best chapters took place in Qarth.  They are by far the best chapters in that book.  The Meereen chapters are not far behind.  I'm very interested in how the slavery situation will be resolved.  The Battle of Fire will be awesome.  

The second-best moment in all of the books took place at Daznak's Pit when Dany rode Drogon.  I'm stoked to read about their time in the Dothraki Sea after meeting the khalasar.  I hope the next book starts immediately after that moment.

Very much. I find it to be very subtle and well written with a completely different view of war and the resulting problems compared to what is commonly written about. I didn't really like Dany's chapters that much in books 1-3, but I loved them in Dance.

At least in Meereen Daenerys finally rids herself of Ser. Jorah the Creepy and does't have to worry about him or any other hairy men kissing her against her will because they saved her from an assassin they knew was coming and felt entitled. She could finally enter into a relationship with a handsome rogue she chose, on her terms.

Though I do like the idea of Ser. Jorah the Slaver standing guard outside Dany's doors while he hears Daario ("Ser. Fire") pleasure his queen in ways Jorah (Ser. Mud) never could or will ever be able to attempt too. All while Dany is freeing the slaves through out Essos. Slaves that Ser. Jorah would have been happy to sell to live a lavish lifestyle with whomever was unlucky enough to be married to him at the time.

Loved the Meereen plot. Probably more hyped to see where it goes than anything else. Barrastan and Vic are already among my favorite narratives. Tyrion's always good. I enjoyed Quentyn and am always behind Dany. Loved seeing this part of the world get fleshed out. Just as events further East affected Medieval Europe, everything that goes on this far in Essos will affect Westeros.

Just now, Mooncalf said:

Loved the Meereen plot. Probably more hyped to see where it goes than anything else. Barrastan and Vic are already among my favorite narratives. Tyrion's always good. I enjoyed Quentyn and am always behind Dany. Loved seeing this part of the world get fleshed out. Just as events further East affected Medieval Europe, everything that goes on this far in Essos will affect Westeros.

:)

I liked Quentyn's too.  His POVs had a lot to offer.  Barristan is a good view point to read.  The Dany and Drogon scenes were the highlights of ADWD.  

I'm just bummed out that we won't get a Dothraki viewpoint in Winds.  

13 hours ago, Ellard Stark said:

More vibrant!  The war to end slavery is as vibrant as you can get.  So yeah.  I loved this plot line.  

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:17 AM, Ellard Stark said:

There is a lot of thread on Daenerys' adventures in Meereen.  Anyway, yeah, I love this story arc.  Most of the Meereen arc is about politics and that can be a let down for some people because the usual Daenerys chapters are high-drama, high-action.  Her chapters in A Storm of Swords are even better, in my opinion.   Daznak's Pit is the best chapter in A Dance with Dragons.  

Archived