Advice On Oak Tress

the Greenleif Stark

I planted 3 acorns on my property hoping one would germinate and turn into a big beautiful oak tree.   Turns out all 3 are flourishing, however my problem is I planted them all right next to each other in the spot I wanted the tree to grow.  I now have 3 oak saplings growing with only about 6 inches separating them.  I only wanted one and don't want the 3 of them killing themselves and I'm not quite sure what to do.  I think they are too close and the roots must be interconnected to dig out 2 of the 3 saplings.  Should I just cut the smallest 2? or just leave them?  Can anyone offer advice????

As an aside, the acorns are from the oak trees at the 9/11 memorial in NYC from when I visited a few years ago

If I were you I'd cut the two smaller saplings down at my earliest convenience. 

Keep an eye on the one that remains too, particularly if it's within 20-30 feet of your residence. Oak trees can grow to be beautiful and majestic. After a while they can also split off huge, heavy limbs into unwanted places (like, directly over a roof). Squirrels love to use them to more easily hop onto rooftops as well. A professional trimming every 3-5 years is highly recommended.

If they are only a year old, its easy to dig them out and plant them further apart. Oaks have deep roots, keep that in mind. 

Plant them about 10 metres apart, that leaves enough light for each. Maybe get a sapling tube to protect them against game bite.

thank you all for the advice........they just enjoyed their 2nd summer, so the biggest is up the my chest, the other 2 are a little shorter.  I worry about digging out 2 of the oaks because they're so close together and am thinking their roots must be entangled under ground (that's just a guess though, I have no idea).  Also thought about braiding them like Larry said but wasn't sure if you could do that with an oak tree.  I guess I'm gonna stew over it some more, for now, but chopping the 2 smaller ones seems like the route I'll take and try to come up with something cool to use the small amount of wood on/for

14 hours ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

thank you all for the advice........they just enjoyed their 2nd summer, so the biggest is up the my chest, the other 2 are a little shorter.  I worry about digging out 2 of the oaks because they're so close together and am thinking their roots must be entangled under ground (that's just a guess though, I have no idea).  Also thought about braiding them like Larry said but wasn't sure if you could do that with an oak tree.  I guess I'm gonna stew over it some more, for now, but chopping the 2 smaller ones seems like the route I'll take and try to come up with something cool to use the small amount of wood on/for

If you live in the US, contact your local Cooperative Extension or arbor foundation. They can advise you on that and it's usually free of charge. 

Archived