Jump to content
•Brandon Ice Eyes

Could Joffrey be Controlled?

Recommended Posts

Joffrey can very easily be controlled. In fact, he is probably the most malleable character in the book, if you know the right way.

The wrong way, of course, is this:

Quote

The king stood. "A cask from the cellars! I'll have him drowned in it."

Sansa heard herself gasp. "No, you can't"

Joffrey turned his head. "What did you say?"

The right way is this:

Quote

" … did your little lord husband enjoy my jousting dwarfs?"

"Yours?"

"I had to send to Braavos for them and hide them away in a brothel until the wedding. The expense was exceeded only by the bother. It is surprisingly difficult to hide a dwarf, and Joffrey … you can lead a king to water, but with Joff one had to splash it about before he realized he could drink it. When I told him about my little surprise, "His Grace said 'Why would I want some ugly dwarfs at my feast? I hate dwarfs.' I had to take him by the shoulder and whisper, 'Not as much as your uncle will."

And this:

Quote

King Joffrey and his queen met the pie below the dais. As Joff drew his sword, Margaery laid a hand on his arm to restrain him. "Widow's Wail was not meant for slicing pies."

Note that the two people who supposedly wanted Joffrey dead were also the only ones who had a demonstrated ability to control his thoughts and actions. All the more reason to doubt the whole silly poisoned wine theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Joffrey can very easily be controlled. In fact, he is probably the most malleable character in the book, if you know the right way.

The wrong way, of course, is this:

The right way is this:

And this:

Note that the two people who supposedly wanted Joffrey dead were also the only ones who had a demonstrated ability to control his thoughts and actions. All the more reason to doubt the whole silly poisoned wine theory.

Ah, ty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Sorry if somebody has done this before.

So could Joffrey be controlled or would he have eventually had tears of lys in his lunch or the strangler in his cereal?

Book Joffrey could be controlled, he was pretty damn stupid. Show Joffrey had more independent thought, like in the show he orders Robert's bastards killed, not Cersei. Remember, Joff essentially had three parents, and they were all absolutely terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's clear from the answers already offered that Joff could be controlled to a certain extent by certain people.   I'm still stuck on his fit in front of Tywin the Terrible.   I do wonder how Tywin could have effectively controlled this insufferable brat of a king and grandson, but I have no doubt he would have...even if it meant getting rid of the little bastard...Maybe hunting with Randyll Tarly!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Sorry if somebody has done this before.

So could Joffrey be controlled or would he have eventually had tears of lys in his lunch or the strangler in his cereal?

Nope. He was written to be uncontrollable  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joffrey can be manipulated if you are clever enough, i.e. Littlefinger’s dwarf plan. But I wouldn’t call that controlling him, it’s still a very Joffrey thing to do, and if it had occurred to him he would have done something similar.

If Tywin could get Cersei out of the picture, and make sure everyone in the Red Keep and Small Council is loyal to him and not Joffrey, I think he could have controlled Joffrey until he came of age.

However unless he were able to make some drastic changes to Joffrey’s personality, this would go out the window when he came of age. He would go full blown Aerys III imo.

They question is whether Tywin would want to risk Joffrey getting Margaery pregnant in this time or if he would want him killed ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I don't think Joffrey was destined for a long life. The older he gets the more difficult manipulating him will be and the more erratic his behavior becomes. Tommen really looks like a better option all around,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2018 at 2:35 PM, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Sorry if somebody has done this before.

So could Joffrey be controlled or would he have eventually had tears of lys in his lunch or the strangler in his cereal?

Iffin' ya want sum bs remark --- it boils down to little prince, love child of R & C & J could do no wrong. and if pretty boy did display inappropriate bratty behavior ya best look the other way else you be finding yourself outta a job or punished in some manner or another.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Honestly, I don't think Joffrey was destined for a long life. The older he gets the more difficult manipulating him will be and the more erratic his behavior becomes. Tommen really looks like a better option all around,

I'm not so sure about that. Look at Joffrey in Game and Storm and it seems Cersei is still able to manipulate him, although it's waning. Then in Feast, little Tommen starts to defy his mother in an increasingly hostile manner (due to Margaery's manipulations, of course). Tommen is only nine at this point, so I can easily imagine that as he matures and develops the ability to make up his own mind about things he'll be far less pliant than he is now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

I'm not so sure about that. Look at Joffrey in Game and Storm and it seems Cersei is still able to manipulate him, although it's waning. Then in Feast, little Tommen starts to defy his mother in an increasingly hostile manner (due to Margaery's manipulations, of course). Tommen is only nine at this point, so I can easily imagine that as he matures and develops the ability to make up his own mind about things he'll be far less pliant than he is now.

Well the ability to put a random piece of paper in front of Tommen for him to put his seal on isn't going to last forever, no. I would say Tommen is being... a typical child being caught between Cersei and Margaery's manipulations, which is terrible for him really. He really seems to be a good kid at the core though, and I don't think we'd run into Joffrey like issues no matter how spoiled and bratty he got as he aged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

Well the ability to put a random piece of paper in front of Tommen for him to put his seal on isn't going to last forever, no. I would say Tommen is being... a typical child being caught between Cersei and Margaery's manipulations, which is terrible for him really. He really seems to be a good kid at the core though, and I don't think we'd run into Joffrey like issues no matter how spoiled and bratty he got as he aged.

Absolutely. I see him as having the potential to be a wise and just ruler as well, with none of Joffrey's short-sighted bone-headedness. But it is for that reason that I also think he will be less susceptible to Cersei's, Margaery's or anyone else's machinations over time. He seems pretty well-grounded at the moment, so with luck that would continue into adulthood and he would be more resistant to fools and lickspittles than most.

But I don't see Tommen making it to adulthood in any event, so it's probably moot. :crying:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×