Daredevil Season 3 [SPOILERS - Page 3 and beyond]

RedEyedGhost

40 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Finished ep. 11 and love this season. 

The only headscraching issue I have is

Reveal hidden contents

How does Bullseye impale people with an inch thick piece of steel that he just chucks at them? He doesn't have superhuman strength, and I didn't see any hints of sharp tips on those sticks.

Let's go with comic book physics for these things. This is the same show with the zombie kids in S2..

24 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Let's go with comic book physics for these things. This is the same show with the zombie kids in S2..

Spoiler

Yeah.  They also never reveal on the show whether or not he has any special powers.

And in the comics he does the same type of stuff all the time anyway.  

Finished it.  That was goddamn fantastic.  That's basically what I envisioned a Daredevil show could be when they first announced it.  It feels like the best Daredevil comics come to life, some combination of classic Frank Miller with a clear influence from the more recent Bendis run as well.  Season one came close to that, but this season feels like the full realization of this character and his enemies.  It wisely ditches all the Hand nonsense in favor of a straight crime story, and Daredevil is always at his best in crime and mob tales.

The new characters all worked really well, too.  Nadeem was awesome.  Bullseye was tons of fun.  Sister Maggie added some heart and was an integral part of Matt's story this season.  There really wasn't a weak link.  

I had a couple of issues with a key narrative decision in the last episode, but that was more because how it happened in the comics was so much better.  I also thought the last scene was a little too cheesy, but these are minor complaints.  Basically everything this season worked perfectly.  It never once felt its length, and I was disappointed when I saw episode thirteen was up next because I didn't want the ride to end yet.  Not only was this easily the best Marvel season yet, but I'd say it was one of the better overall single seasons of television I've watched.  I was hooked from start to finish.  I was invested in the characters, old and new.  I wanted to see what happened next.

It'll be a real shame if this show is canceled after that season.  

Finished it, too, and loved it. I'm not familiar with the comics, but I'm glad to hear that this season fits well with the spirit of the DD comics. I would say it was also the first 13-episode season of any of the shows that didn't feel like it was dragging. It had the right balance of tension, action, and fleshing out the characters. Fisk, once again, shows why he is the best villain in the Netflix shows, and Bullseye was very good, as well.

I had a few small issues here and there, one I mentioned in the previous post. In the finale,

Spoiler

I thought the cinematography was different and weaker in the climactic fight scene, compared to the other big fight scenes from previous episodes.

I loved that DD was able to manipulate Dex, and use him as a battering ram to get through Fisk's security.

Not really sure about Vanessa. I didn't re-watch season 1 to recall how strong her love affair with Fisk was, but she seemed off at all times. I kept expecting her to betray Fisk. I felt that she deciding to want to fully become part of Fisk's world, and order Nadeem's death was a convenience that the writers created to allow Matt to leverage Fisk.

Also, the scene with Bullseye on the operating table - does he get superpowers now?

I hope this show gets one more season, but I think it will be hard to top off this season. 

Spoiler

The feel good ending for Matt, Foggy, and Karen, along with Fisk maybe being in jail for good now would be an ok finish for the series.

14 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Hide contents

Also, the scene with Bullseye on the operating table - does he get superpowers now?

Spoiler

He gets reinforced with adamantium in the comics after DD breaks his spine. They don’t have the rights to that metal so they went with “cognium steel”. He does not get powers, but is somewhat more flexible I think with the rebuilt spine.

Finished it. Definitely agree that this was a very steady level of quality across the season. Everything came together very well.

Spoiler

Re: Vanessa, sounds like they were thinking of having her picking up the pieces of Fisk's criminal empire, ala Jason Aaron's Punisher MAX. Didn't end well for her in that series, but funnily enough they can bring Elektra back to fulfill a similar role that she had in that run, I suppose, if they decide that she, too, failed to be killed when Midland Circle came crashing down on them. IIRC, this season even mentioned early on that no other bodies were found in the wreckage or some such, so they're leaving room for Elektra to be out there.

Though I suspect S4 is unlikely to happen. Which is a shame, because the show was really firing on all cylinders, and the next step (of course) would be to do the story not of Daredevil and Matt Murdock getting framed, but Matt actually being outed as Daredevil. And then they can go the double route deliberately, but this time to convince people Matt isn't DD, much as has been done in the comics with Iron Fist usually filling in.

Yeah I'm on episode 11 and almost don't want to finish it knowing that there's no more Daredevil (at least until a potential S4). Part of me wants to go back and start the season over in case I missed anything before I finish it.

Spoilers from end of season follow...

Spoiler

As far as Vanessa goes, she knew exactly who Fisk was in season one and it didn't phase her, so it's not entirely surprising she wants to get more involved in his world.  

I do agree it was a bit of plot convenience for her to order Nadeem's murder, but I don't think it was really out of character, either in the comics or on the show.  I was also half-expecting her to betray him, but given that I don't think that ever happens in the comics (at least none that I've read), it seems they are sticking fairly close to her portrayal there, and I am fine with that.  My guess is that she ordered Nadeem's death because she wanted to be involved and felt she had to prove to her (soon to be) husband that she wouldn't waver if the situation called for it.

At any rate, I really hope this show beats the odds and gets a fourth season, because there are a ton of interesting ways they could go with this.  Ran mentioned Daredevil's identity getting outed, which could be great.  We've got the potential for Vanessa running the Kingpin's empire.  There's the return of Bullseye.  Hell, they could even adapt that fun Kevin Smith reboot where Mysterio (they'd have to use someone else, as I'm guessing Mysterio's rights are tied to Spidey) tricks Daredevil into thinking an orphaned baby is the anti-Christ (which sounds silly, but it works given Daredevil's background in Catholicism).  That would actually work really well, as I'm pretty sure that's the story where Bullseye kills Karen Page.

38 minutes ago, briantw said:

Reveal hidden contents

As far as Vanessa goes, she knew exactly who Fisk was in season one and it didn't phase her, so it's not entirely surprising she wants to get more involved in his world.  

I do agree it was a bit of plot convenience for her to order Nadeem's murder, but I don't think it was really out of character, either in the comics or on the show.  I was also half-expecting her to betray him, but given that I don't think that ever happens in the comics (at least none that I've read), it seems they are sticking fairly close to her portrayal there, and I am fine with that.  My guess is that she ordered Nadeem's death because she wanted to be involved and felt she had to prove to her (soon to be) husband that she wouldn't waver if the situation called for it.

At any rate, I really hope this show beats the odds and gets a fourth season, because there are a ton of interesting ways they could go with this.  Ran mentioned Daredevil's identity getting outed, which could be great.  We've got the potential for Vanessa running the Kingpin's empire.  There's the return of Bullseye.  Hell, they could even adapt that fun Kevin Smith reboot where Mysterio (they'd have to use someone else, as I'm guessing Mysterio's rights are tied to Spidey) tricks Daredevil into thinking an orphaned baby is the anti-Christ (which sounds silly, but it works given Daredevil's background in Catholicism).  That would actually work really well, as I'm pretty sure that's the story where Bullseye kills Karen Page.

Spoiler

I liked that Kevin Smith run when it happened but it doesn’t hold up IMO, parts of it feel more like him cribbing DD’s greatst hits (Bullseye killing Karen is a rehash of him killing Elektra, etc.). Plus, I think the church attack scene was inspired by Smith, it just played out with the priest taking the hit instead.  I never liked the Mysterio turn, it just felt like, “let’s choose the least likely loser to be the antagonist”. It was better than most 90’s DD  thoughh (the gray suit, bleah).

Anyway, I was hoping we would get a new costume by the end, I have still never loved the designs they have used, they always look awkward. I understand the desire to go with the more armored look, but I think it is easy enough to work up the suspension of disbelief for a more streamlined approach. The beauty of the DD costume is its simplicity and elegance, and if he is going around with lameo defenseless rags anyway, why not give him something nicer in red.

4 minutes ago, Leap said:

Well, I just finished, and that was pretty great - I think I will still give the edge to Season 1 because that was so novel to me. Season 3 was incredibly consistent though. I think it actually had fewer "highs" than quite a few other seasons (both DDs, LC, JJ), but the consistency made up for that, as well as the excellent and refreshing characters.

I don't want to write off any future more mystical Daredevil storylines due to the poor portrayal of The Hand in S2, but I think this proves that the Netflix show can excel with a more "real life" crime storyline. The show is really strong when Matt, Karen and Foggy can all be linked to the same story. It helped massively that the Nadeem/FBI storyline was so good, although generally I enjoyed the supporting characters in all plotlines.

I look forward to S4 if there is one. 

Even in the comics the Hand stuff was mostly nonsense.  The best Daredevil stories pretty much all involve Kingpin, Bullseye, or organized crime and mob politics in general.

2 hours ago, Leap said:

Well, I just finished, and that was pretty great - I think I will still give the edge to Season 1 because that was so novel to me. Season 3 was incredibly consistent though. I think it actually had fewer "highs" than quite a few other seasons (both DDs, LC, JJ), but the consistency made up for that, as well as the excellent and refreshing characters.

I don't want to write off any future more mystical Daredevil storylines due to the poor portrayal of The Hand in S2, but I think this proves that the Netflix show can excel with a more "real life" crime storyline. The show is really strong when Matt, Karen and Foggy can all be linked to the same story. It helped massively that the Nadeem/FBI storyline was so good, although generally I enjoyed the supporting characters in all plotlines.

I look forward to S4 if there is one. 

Just finishing up the finale here. Gotta say, Special Agent Ray Nadeem is a top-notch original character. And just one of many elements that made this season work so well. So Say We All.

On 10/22/2018 at 5:53 PM, briantw said:

Hide contents

Mysterio (they'd have to use someone else, as I'm guessing Mysterio's rights are tied to Spidey) 

Yeah, Jake Gyllenhall is playing him in the next Spider-Man movie.

On 10/23/2018 at 3:19 AM, Martell Spy said:

Just finishing up the finale here. Gotta say, Special Agent Ray Nadeem is a top-notch original character. And just one of many elements that made this season work so well. So Say We All.

Have to agree on Nadeem. I found it very refreshing how this show treated NYC's diversity as just, well, how it is. Indian-American FBI, lesbian lawyer (or was she an accountant? Can't remember) with a wife and kids, and so on without making the mistake of making these defining aspects of who they are or what their role in the story was.

23 minutes ago, Ran said:

Have to agree on Nadeem. I found it very refreshing how this show treated NYC's diversity as just, well, how it is. Indian-American FBI, lesbian lawyer (or was she an accountant? Can't remember) with a wife and kids, and so on without making the mistake of making these defining aspects of who they are or what their role in the story was.

Actually I'm pretty sure he and his family are Pakistani, or maybe even Arabs. His son's name, Sami, is an Arabic name. Nadeem doesn't strike me as an Indian name either. But your point is well made.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Actually I'm pretty sure he and his family are Pakistani, or maybe even Arabs. His son's name, Sami, is an Arabic name. Nadeem doesn't strike me as an Indian name either. But your point is well made.

Hrm, but wasn't their family in Delhi? I may be misremembering.

6 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I didn't catch any talk about where they're from. 

Did a quick check and they were on a flight to Delhi, but probably to connect on to a flight to Bihar in eastern India, where Ray says his wife has a cousin. So... don't know. No one even seems to address the question of Nadeem's ethnicity in interviews online that I can see, which is kind of cool.

Another cool thing was the reversal of a common trope

Spoiler

in high crime stories like this, namely that the local cops tend to be corrupt, and here come the feds to the save the day. This time the feds had been bought off or coerced, while the NYPD stayed true.

Loving the show, but I laughed a bit in episode 12:

At Murdoch and Nadeem doing the point and shoot thing in the van. Killing is wrong but pointing to people and directing someone else to possibly kill them is fine? I guess hates guns that much he can't just borrow the gun and shoot the people? I mean at least Murdoch could "see" them and shoot them in the leg or something. Since the attackers presumably weren't standing perfectly still. 

My only other complaint is I wish the after effects of having a building dropped on him had lasted all season. Not the loss of hearing but like a broken rib or even arm that hadn't totally healed. It would have made him more vulnerable and helped explain why a villain whose power is incredible aim was able to beat him up in hand to hand combat. I mean Daredevil's supposed to be this amazing fighter who is basically a ninja.

Archived