Acrophobia 34A&B: COMPLETE

Dolorous Gabe

ACROPHOBIA 34 A

Character Autobiographies

Hello all, welcome to the 34th edition of Acrophobia. A quick shout out to Emmit, who originally brought this game to the forum. 34 games is impressive, a forum legacy to be proud of.

This edition will have a part A and a part B, each with seven rounds. I chose to do this because there are so many interesting options for a round. I had to narrow down a list I made of nearly 40 names to 14.

You will be given a character, from whose perspective you will dream up a title for their autobiography using one of three randomly generated acronyms.

I would also like to give a warm-hearted shout out to Castellan, a true stalwart of our acronym games. We all hope your sudden absence whilst generously hosting game 33 is the result of a temporary problem.

The rules are as usual. All first letters of words must correspond with the sequence of letters in the chosen acronym and any dubious words must be acceptable to the host's own standard of acceptability. You receive 1 point for submitting an entry, 1 point for voting fully, then 3 points per 1st place vote, 2 points per 2nd place vote, 1 point per 3rd place vote.

I will use yomi's system of sticking rigidly to deadlines but allowing late entries at the cost of a point for submitting an entry.

If you would like to play, send your host - Dolorous Gabe - a PM entitled Acrophobia 34 A: [insert board name here]

With your entry PM, you may also send me any characters you would particularly like to be a part of this topic. I may consider bumping my choices for any characters that receive numerous nominations.

PART A

ROUND ONE:   CERSEI LANNISTER

Kicking off with some fun, Cersei has decided to compile her memoirs into an autobiography. Will it be honest? Will it be typically vainglorious? Based on her POV chapters, it will surely be entertaining in a crazy kind of way.

So what title does she bestow upon it?

Create your title from one of the following acronyms:

C D F

L A S D

F H D G Q

18 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

HEY!!

It's actually launching! Cool. I am 100% in. :)

Yeah I'm going to leave this up a while so everyone gets a chance to see it.

Then I'll put the first assignment up and leave it a while to see if it tempts anyone else.

Two entrants so far.

PART A

ROUND ONE:   CERSEI LANNISTER

Kicking off with some fun, Cersei has decided to compile her memoirs into an autobiography. Will it be honest? Will it be typically vainglorious? Based on her POV chapters, it will surely be entertaining in a crazy kind of way.

So what title does she bestow upon it?

Create your title from one of the following acronyms:

C D F

L A S D

F H D G Q

I won't set a deadline yet as this is for the benefit of those already signed up and to tempt more into the game. In short, you have lots of time.

6 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I would join but I have never played acrophobia before and I’m not very bright when it comes to comprehending rules of new games. Can you guys help and tell what exactly I’d be supposed to do? Like maybe explain through an example? 

Sure

Let's say for an example that the character given is Tywin Lannister during this particular game. The objective is to create a title for his autobiography but you're restricted to only using letters in the given acronyms.

Let's say one of the acronyms is: P W O K

An example of an entry might then be: Pride Will Overcome Kingdoms or Proud Wrecker Of Kings

But you can use any of the three acronyms provided.

Then the game is basically the same as the casting version, you send your entry to the host who posts them all together in the thread as the nominations for players to vote on.

17 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Sure

Let's say for an example that the character given is Tywin Lannister during this particular game. The objective is to create a title for his autobiography but you're restricted to only using letters in the given acronyms.

An example of an entry might then be: Pride Will Overcome Kingdoms or Proud Wrecker Of Kings

Then the game is basically the same as the casting version, you send your entry to the host who posts them all together in the thread as the nominations for players to vote on.

Ooooh so it’s not and but or relationship between the acronyms. Okay, thanks a lot. 

On 10/23/2018 at 5:49 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

Sure

One more question: in your examples, you used only the words starting with the letters of the acronym. But can we make titles adding prepositions (like 'of') or conjunctions (like 'and', 'or') in addition to those words? 

1 minute ago, Annara Snow said:

One more question: in your examples, you used only the words starting with the letters of the acronym. But can we make titles adding prepositions (like 'of') or conjunctions (like 'and', 'or') in addition to those words? 

In most games of Acrophobia, that is not allowed. You use only the letters given, No add-on words. Usually this was included in the standard set of rules in the OP of previous games, maybe Gabe will make an exception this time.

53 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

As Raisin' Bran said, all words must conform to the acronym's lettering sequence.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

You can use punctuation for clarity.

It used to be that we only had one acronym to work from. I am hoping three options might make it easier to make the letters fit what you want to say.

On 10/19/2018 at 9:14 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

ACROPHOBIA 34 A

The rules are as usual. All first letters of words must correspond with the sequence of letters in the chosen acronym and any dubious words must be acceptable to the host's own standard of acceptability. You receive 1 point for submitting an entry, 1 point for voting fully, then 3 points per 1st place vote, 2 points per 2nd place vote, 1 point per 3rd place vote.

I

It's worth emphasizing that each player gets 1 point for submitting an entry (only one entry per round), and 1 more point for voting fully. I forgot that with cast-o-phobia so some of these players haven't seen that yet.

I've got four excellent Cersei titles so far and expect one each from two who have joined but not submitted. I am a little concerned that a certain Halloween Nameday sea dawg will be hard to contact this coming week though - *cough* @rocksniffer *cough*

Hoping for a few more to join but if I get all entries in from those that have joined by the 31st I'll just get the game started.

Regarding your titles, it might be worth considering ways you could be creative with the text to enhance your meanings/intentions. Not just via punctuation but perhaps through text editing as well. You could try to make it look how it might on a cover. Just something to consider anyway.

Archived