Did Robert forget to reward Hoster?

???

Hoster is Lord Paramount of the Trident.  His son is set to inherit Riverrun, his eldest daughter marries the Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, his youngest daughter marries the Lord of the Eyrie and Warden of the East, who becomes Hand of the King.  The alliances that seal Robert's Rebellion put Hoster's three heirs as Lord or Lady of three Great Houses. 

Homeboy was rewarded well enough.

What do you mean? Not only is his son going to be the Lord Paramount of the Trident after him, but the man made it so his grandsons are going to be Warden of the North and Warden of the East. Thanks to Robert's Rebellion his blood is now going to rule 3 of the 7 Kingdoms. Sure it would've been great if he could've somehow secured some kind of connection to Robert himself, but with his blood ruling over 3 of the 7 Kingdoms the chances are very high that someone of his blood would be the next Queen anyway. 

1 hour ago, LindsayLohan said:

???

Hoster is Lord Paramount of the Trident.  His son is set to inherit Riverrun, his eldest daughter marries the Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, his youngest daughter marries the Lord of the Eyrie and Warden of the East, who becomes Hand of the King.  The alliances that seal Robert's Rebellion put Hoster's three heirs as Lord or Lady of three Great Houses. 

Homeboy was rewarded well enough.

12 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

What do you mean? Not only is his son going to be the Lord Paramount of the Trident after him, but the man made it so his grandsons are going to be Warden of the North and Warden of the East. Thanks to Robert's Rebellion his blood is now going to rule 3 of the 7 Kingdoms. Sure it would've been great if he could've somehow secured some kind of connection to Robert himself, but with his blood ruling over 3 of the 7 Kingdoms the chances are very high that someone of his blood would be the next Queen anyway. 

Marriages happened before Robert's rebellion ended. They are not rewarding but beginning of alliance and done by Arryns and Starks. Robert should be more generous for man who saved him in Battle of Bells.

14 minutes ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Marriages happened before Robert's rebellion ended. They are not rewarding but beginning of alliance and done by Arryns and Starks. Robert should be more generous for man who saved him in Battle of Bells.

The marriages were Hoster's price for joining the rebellion. In exchange for pledging his swords to Robert he gets his daughters as the wives of two Lord Paramounts. He doesn't get another reward after that.

Also, it was Ned who saved Robert from the Battle of the Bells.

44 minutes ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Its not like Tully did that out of the goodness of his heart, the weddings where his reward for joining the rebels. Ned didn't get shit for saving him in the Battle of the Bells either.  

57 minutes ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Joffrey-Sansa marriage proposal and becoming Hand of the King? Late but at least he got something. Poor Hoster got marriage proposal from Martells instead of Baratheons.

I doubt that the Joffrey-Sansa marriage had anything to do with Ned saving his life. Robert is just obsessed with getting a Stark-Baratheon marriage. 

1 hour ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Joffrey-Sansa marriage proposal and becoming Hand of the King? Late but at least he got something. Poor Hoster got marriage proposal from Martells instead of Baratheons.

I wouldn’t call that a reward for the Starks if you ask me.

Hoster got various marriages with the north and the vale securing the eastern and northern borders of his kingdoms as well gaining the gratefulness of Robert. Not sure if he got anything else but if I were him I would have asked for a new charter for fair market so it can grow into a larger town to bring further trade up the trident. However overall, he benefitted greatly imo.

I have been wondering about that as well.

Hoster already had Tully-Stark betrothal way before the Rebellion. And having Lysa marry a Lord Paramount despite her pregnancy is a very good deal for Hoster, but doesn't seem enough of a reward for a whole army. Look at Walder - he had his daughter be the queen and the king's sister marry into their family for just the Frey forces and a passage. Yet Hoster gets his daughter to be the Lady of the Vale and the wife of the Hand and that's about it for most of the Riverlands. Yet somehow he didn't have any luck with finding a suitable bride for Edmure later on, how so? And there's that really bizzare offer to Arianne Martell that just makes no sense. He isn't mentioned to be on the council and he only got ill 10+ years after the Rebellion. No Tullys attended the Tourney at Harrenhall despite it being in their kingdom and arranged by Hoster's wife's family... There's just lots of weird things about him.

And Edmure weirdly has Darry go complain about the Lannister raids with his bffs Piper and Vance. He has the house that opposed Robert with utmost conviction and lost half of their lands, most of their wealth, and almost all their power due to Robert winning come to him and accuse his wife's house of bannerless raiding. Just makes one wonder if it's Edmure just not being vert bright (well we know that he isn't the sharpest crayon in the box, but still) or him knowing something that we don't.

7 hours ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Poor Hoster got marriage proposal from Martells instead of Baratheons.

Actually it was Hoster who reached out and invited Arianne Martell to Riverrun to meet Edmure, which no doubt meant a strong possibility of a proposed betrothal from the Tullys, but Doran Martell declined. So it was Hoster that made the proposal and Doran rejected it because of his secret Viserys plans.

It's actually somewhat curious to me that Edmure is not even betrothed at his age. Knowing how high Hoster usually aims for his children's marriages I'm guessing he was looking to betroth Edmure to either Margaery or Myrcella once they became old enough, Had war not broke out I'm inclined to believe Tywin would have urged Robert and Cersei to marry Myrcella to Edmure. That way he could finally get that Tully marriage to his kin, like he planned with Jaime and Lysa.

35 minutes ago, wia said:

I have been wondering about that as well.

Hoster already had Tully-Stark betrothal way before the Rebellion. And having Lysa marry a Lord Paramount despite her pregnancy is a very good deal for Hoster, but doesn't seem enough of a reward for a whole army. Look at Walder - he had his daughter be the queen and the king's sister marry into their family for just the Frey forces and a passage. Yet Hoster gets his daughter to be the Lady of the Vale and the wife of the Hand and that's about it for most of the Riverlands. Yet somehow he didn't have any luck with finding a suitable bride for Edmure later on, how so? And there's that really bizzare offer to Arianne Martell that just makes no sense. He isn't mentioned to be on the council and he only got ill 10+ years after the Rebellion. No Tullys attended the Tourney at Harrenhall despite it being in their kingdom and arranged by Hoster's wife's family... There's just lots of weird things about him.

And Edmure weirdly has Darry go complain about the Lannister raids with his bffs Piper and Vance. He has the house that opposed Robert with utmost conviction and lost half of their lands, most of their wealth, and almost all their power due to Robert winning come to him and accuse his wife's house of bannerless raiding. Just makes one wonder if it's Edmure just not being vert bright (well we know that he isn't the sharpest crayon in the box, but still) or him knowing something that we don't.

That marriage to Jon Arryn was stupid. Hoster should have known better than to arrange a marriage for Lysa in the Vale, given what happened between Littlefinger and Lysa. And it wasn’t like Hoster didn’t have ties to the Rebels via Ned filling Brandon’s place as Catelyn’s husband.

Just now, Angel Eyes said:

That marriage to Jon Arryn was stupid. Hoster should have known better, given what happened between Littlefinger and Lysa. And it wasn’t like Hoster didn’t have ties to the Rebels via Ned filling Brandon’s place.

It's my understanding that after what happened between Lysa and Littlefinger no major/respected/powerful house would want her. So in terms of status it was a great marriage. I don't think it was a necessary marriage in terms of ties to the rebels, just an overall beneficial one.

1 minute ago, wia said:

It's my understanding that after what happened between Lysa and Littlefinger no major/respected/powerful house would want her. So in terms of status it was a great marriage. I don't think it was a necessary marriage in terms of ties to the rebels, just an overall beneficial one.

That’s what I’m saying. Hoster was already tied to the Rebels because of Brandon’s betrothal to Catelyn, which Ned fulfilled. And placing Lysa in the Vale left her vulnerable to Littlefinger.

Just now, Angel Eyes said:

And placing Lysa in the Vale left her vulnerable to Littlefinger.

Well technically she was in KL pretty much her whole marriage. And even if she was in the Vale, it's not like Littlefinger could just hang out with her in the Eyrie because he wanted to, he'd have Jon's invitation or at least permission. I don't think that Hoster could've predicted that Littlefinger would get from the Fingers to the Master of Coin tbh.

8 minutes ago, wia said:

Well technically she was in KL pretty much her whole marriage. And even if she was in the Vale, it's not like Littlefinger could just hang out with her in the Eyrie because he wanted to, he'd have Jon's invitation or at least permission. I don't think that Hoster could've predicted that Littlefinger would get from the Fingers to the Master of Coin tbh.

Littlefinger wouldn’t have gotten his start without Lysa and Jon. I doubt Jon would have been able to promote Littlefinger if he were Lord Paramount of somewhere else.

If I were Hoster, I’d be wary of Littlefinger since few men would challenge a betrothal via combat and especially not let him close to my daughters.

2 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

It's actually somewhat curious to me that Edmure is not even betrothed at his age. 

I imagine the death of his wife, his falling out with Lysa and Brynden and Cat being so far away caused him to rethink his strategy, or he simply may no longer have cared. 

Edmure's a guy, there is no biological clock ticking for him, there was no real rush. 

15 hours ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Did Robert forget to reward Hoster?

He got his price/reward very early

"Lysa was the price Jon Arryn had to pay for the swords and spears of House Tully."
Small wonder her sister's marriage had been so loveless. The Arryns were proud, and prickly of their honor. Lord Jon might wed Lysa to bind the Tullys to the cause of the rebellion"

11 hours ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

To be fair, being married to Arianne Martell would be an amazing achievement for anyone’s son.

Archived