Did Robert forget to reward Hoster?

6 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Littlefinger wouldn’t have gotten his start without Lysa and Jon. I doubt Jon would have been able to promote Littlefinger if he were Lord Paramount of somewhere else.

If I were Hoster, I’d be wary of Littlefinger since few men would challenge a betrothal via combat and especially not let him close to my daughters.

If I were Hoster I'd expect Jon do be wary of Littlefinger. It was rather stupid of him not to.

We don’t actually know what rewards Hoster, Ned or Jon were granted following the rebellion. There were plenty of lords who had their lands and titles stripped or reduced, so you could imagine some of those parcelled out to Robert’s supporters. We know he did that in the case of the Conningtons and Darry, but we’re never told where those lands went. It’s not hard to envisage a similar scene to the Lannister-Tyrell small council in ASOS where the winners carve up the spoils.

Other than that, there’s not really much Hoster could expect. He’s already Lord Paramount of the Riverlands, his daughters are wed to the Wardens of the North and the East. What more could be offered to him?

2 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

I guess Hoster didn’t think to warn Jon?

Hmmm... I think we were told that Jon married Lysa due to the confirmation of her fertility (were we told in an official source?). So I always assumed that Littlefinger's name was disclosed along with the pregnancy talk.

But then maybe it wasn't?

21 minutes ago, wia said:

Hmmm... I think we were told that Jon married Lysa due to the confirmation of her fertility (were we told in an official source?). So I always assumed that Littlefinger's name was disclosed along with the pregnancy talk.

But then maybe it wasn't?

I’d be very surprised if Jon Arryn would employ him if he knew LF was the father, let alone bring him to Kings Landing, and appoint him Master of Coin. He just needed to know that she was “of proven fertility” *wink*.

That being said, you’d think he’d ask the question. He could have just been lied to I suppose.

4 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I’d be very surprised if Jon Arryn would employ him if he knew LF was the father, let alone bring him to Kings Landing, and appoint him Master of Coin. He just needed to know that she was “of proven fertility” *wink*.

That being said, you’d think he’d ask the question. He could have just been lied to I suppose.

The way I saw it, Jon Arryn, being much older than Lysa and her having constant miscarriages and stillbirths, tried his best to get on her good side by indulging her a lot. So I figured that appointing Littlefinger to Gulltown, a position of no great importance, was indulging her, and after he showed brilliant results, the further promotions were due to Robert's enormous spending and Jon's inability to manage finances. But that's only me personal interpretation, not like it's written somewhere in the text.

But it does make more sense that he didn't know. I never thought of it that way.

12 minutes ago, wia said:

The way I saw it, Jon Arryn, being much older than Lysa and her having constant miscarriages and stillbirths, tried his best to get on her good side by indulging her a lot. So I figured that appointing Littlefinger to Gulltown, a position of no great importance, was indulging her, and after he showed brilliant results, the further promotions were due to Robert's enormous spending and Jon's inability to manage finances. But that's only me personal interpretation, not like it's written somewhere in the text.

I think all that’s true, but I very much doubt Jon Arryn would appoint Lysa’s former lover to appease her if he knew about it. Surely most men would draw a line there, however shrewish their wife was!

Thinking about it though, LF then pranced around court boasting of having nailing both Tully girls. Talk about front! I have to admit it, that’s a dude move.

22 minutes ago, wia said:

But it does make more sense that he didn't know. I never thought of it that way.

So would Jon Arryn be able to promote Littlefinger if he was not his liege lord?

29 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I wouldn’t call Lysa fertile, what with five miscarriages/stillbirths.

19 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I think all that’s true, but I very much doubt Jon Arryn would appoint Lysa’s former lover to appease her if he knew about it. Surely most men would draw a line there, however shrewish their wife was!

Thinking about it though, LF then pranced around court boasting of having nailing both Tully girls. Talk about front! I have to admit it, that’s a dude move.

Yes, I was always baffled at how he bragged about it and either it somehow didn't reach Jon or Robert or they didn't care.

13 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

So would Jon Arryn be able to promote Littlefinger if he was not his liege lord?

Would Jon Arryn be able to offer Littlefinger a job at Gulltown and other jobs that he had the control of if LF was, say, from Riverlands? - Sure, why not.

Littlefinger has a bunch of foreigners in cushy jobs in KL, he's not their liege lord.

Just now, wia said:

Yes, I was always baffled at how he bragged about it and either it somehow didn't reach Jon or Robert or they didn't care.

I wouldn't be surprised if Robert thought it was funny. I doubt he was aware LF was cuckolding the old man, but LF bragging bout how he'd banged the Tully girls would have made him a legend in Bob's Big Book of Banging.

2 minutes ago, wia said:

Would Jon Arryn be able to offer Littlefinger a job at Gulltown and other jobs that he had the control of if LF was, say, from Riverlands? - Sure, why not.

Yeah definitely. Lords Paramount seem to appoint people from their own lands most of the time, but there would be nothing wrong with Arryn appointing who he liked.

On 10/21/2018 at 6:48 AM, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Did Robert forget to reward Hoster?

Lord Hoster's reward for joining Robert's Rebellion was that his eldest daughter Catelyn wed Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, and his soiled youngest daughter Lysa wed Jon Arryn, Lord of the Eyrie and Warden of the East. It is possible he received other rewards or benefits or favors that we are unaware of, but these were the terms he agreed to in order to join the side of the rebels after having sat out the first months of the war.

To answer the OP, I don’t know. Sometimes, people don’t want a reward; they just want to go home. Look at Ned. He didn’t gain anything from the Rebellion, he lost his father, brother and sister, he lost the chance to get revenge on Aerys, and his view of Robert was permanently soured by Robert’s satisfaction at the deaths of Elia, Rhaenys and Aegon. Plus, he has another son to take care of (Jon) and Catelyn’s view of him would be darkened either way if he sired Jon out of wedlock or if she had to take care of Rhaegar’s surviving child, knowing full well that Robert would ask for their heads if he ever found out.

15 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

Lysa was the price Jon Arryn had to pay for the swords and spears of House Tully.

This clearly means Hoster was trying to marry Lysa off and said to Jon; "If you want my army and support, then you have to marry my daughter even though she is not a virgin."

7 minutes ago, Valyrian Lance said:

Did Robert reward anyone other than Jon Arryn and the Late Lord Lannister?

Stannis got Dragonstone, which was a step down from Storm's End and Renly got Storm's End though he didn't need reward.

In fairness Dragonstone could also be seen as a step-up. Giving it to Stannis declared him the heir apparent and an experienced and loyal bannerman needed to control Blackwater Bay both because it's a natural staging ground for an invasion and because those lords have the most Targaryen connections. I doubt Robert thought of all this and tbh if it was me I'd let Stannis have both Storm's End and Dragonstone with regent at  SE. But it was Stannis' mindset that made him see it as a slight.

Archived