US politics: Georgia on my mind

IheartIheartTesla

Obama Plays Offense in Las Vegas, Says Republicans ‘Can’t Help Themselves’

https://www.thedailybeast.com/obama-plays-offense-in-las-vegas-says-republicans-cant-help-themselves?ref=home

This is like a reflex with these guys. They just can’t help themselves,” Obama said of Republican efforts to repeal and replace the ACA. “Now that it’s election season, they are out there saying: ‘Well, actually we’re going to protect people with pre-existing conditions.’” 

“Now let me say something as the person who actually passed the law that prevents people with pre-existing conditions from being discriminated against: I can tell you that they have no way of protecting pre-existing conditions with anything that they have proposed. They’re just saying it. They’re just making it up.”

Obama was referring to Republican candidates nationwide who, despite previous votes to end the ACA or support for a Texas lawsuit targeting it, now promise they would protect individuals with pre-existing conditions.

“If Republicans keep Congress this fall, you better believe they’re coming after health care again,” Obama warned

4 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

Good. As opposed to being a globalist, I'll take it.

A Nationalist is defined a person who advocates for political independence of a country. 

Its part of his America First platform. Globalism left middle America behind in this country, and they know it

I'm glad we finally have a President who is proud to put our country first. 

6 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

Good. As opposed to being a globalist, I'll take it.

A Nationalist is defined a person who advocates for political independence of a country. 

Its part of his America First platform. Globalism left middle America behind in this country, and they know it

I'm glad we finally have a President who is proud to put our country first. 

Are you saying you need handout? Sorry, all we have is work requirements for you. Work harder or die.

2 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Are you saying you need handout? Sorry, all we have is work requirements for you. Work harder or die.

Comatose in a hospital? You’re not meeting your work requirements! I’m death paneling you and pulling the plug you lazy coma faker!

2 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Comatose in a hospital? You’re not meeting your work requirements! I’m death paneling you and pulling the plug you lazy coma faker!

Thousands show up at border demanding entry? Entrance denied, you go home now. 

18 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

Seeking asylum which is an internationally recognized and binding request.

Simple answers for simple people result in ghoulish results. We still have children incarcerated, away from their parents, on the border because folks who lack basic human decency are making these decisions.

1 minute ago, Week said:

Seeking asylum which is an internationally recognized and binding request.

Simple answers for simple people result in ghoulish results. We still have children incarcerated, away from their parents, on the border because folks who lack basic human decency are making these decisions.

In the first non-war engaged country, which would be Mexico. They should all be applying for asylum in Mexico, not the United States, and should all be sent home or back to Mexico

45 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

And nationalism is going to fix that how?  What's the track record for nationalism movements over the past century?

32 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

8 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

In the first non-war engaged country, which would be Mexico. They should all be applying for asylum in Mexico, not the United States, and should all be sent home or back to Mexico

Ah, the Christian way!  Spread the good news brothers!

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

And nationalism is going to fix that how?  What's the track record for nationalism movements over the past century?

Ah, the Christian way!  Spread the good news brothers!

The good news is only for white people DMC, fuck those brown skinned savage heathens. They have no place in this white country, even though that scumbag Reagan and Clinton destablized south America so badly they're feeling the impact of it and are trying to flee it.

6 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

The good news is only for white people DMC, fuck those brown skinned savage heathens. they have no place in cracker country.

Right, that's my favorite part of White Jesus' Beatitudes:  Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth; Cursed are the brown, for they shall go home now.

2 hours ago, Bonnot OG said:

I would have thought most USA-ians would eventually admit to being that, they just would want to put "white" in front of it. It's just strong patriotism with a healthy dose of superiority. Very well cultivated in the minds of the citizens during the cold war. "I fuckin' love my country" + "my country is the greatest country in the world!" = nationalism. That's definitely a both sides thing.

1 hour ago, Bonnot OG said:

Quoting Orwell here

Orwell wasn't wrong, but he lived more than half a century ago. There are still some elements of that quote present in what people mean by nationalism now, but today it is mainly used to signal opposition to the globalists (i.e. to outsourcing American jobs to people who will do them for wages Americans cannot possibly live on and the rest of the causes for the end of real wage growth). Orwell passed away in 1950 and he would not have been aware of this aspect of nationalism as it simply wasn't relevant for another quarter century.

4 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Orwell wasn't wrong, but he lived more than half a century ago. There are still some elements of that quote present in what people mean by nationalism now, but today it is mainly used to signal opposition to the globalists (i.e. to outsourcing American jobs to people who will do them for wages Americans cannot possibly live on and the rest of the causes for the end of real wage growth). Orwell passed away in 1950 and he would not have been aware of this aspect of nationalism as it simply wasn't relevant for another quarter century.

Animal Farm was published in 1945.  Nineteen Eighty-Four was published in 1949.  The Bretton Woods Agreement was in 1944.  Orwell knew exactly what he was talking about when he referred to nationalists - and its dichotomy with globalism.  It hasn't changed much.

Re:  Pelosi and her effect on campaigns

A Referendum on Trump or Pelosi?

But, with just under three weeks left until the election, there is no distinction between the Trump brand and the GOP brand. The GOP brand is Trump. Plus, it’s Republicans, not Democrats, who have made a national political figure the centerpiece of their 2018 strategy. Nancy Pelosi is getting more air time in GOP ads than Trump is getting in ads run by Democrats.

Since the beginning of September until mid-October, Republicans in House and Senate races have run 61,741 ads that mention House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi. Many of these ads are running in affluent suburban districts where Trump is deeply unpopular, but where Republicans hope that a ‘liberal’ take-over of Washington will be even more unappealing. Voters in places like Orange County and suburban Dallas say GOP strategists, are low-tax, less-government conservatives who may not like Trump’s style of politics, but dislike government over-reach even more.

I kind of get the anti globalism stance in an economic sense where we blame corporate globalism for the death of American manufacturing and want to reverse that somewhat.  At this point it may just be a futile race against the robots, but a country as big as ours would be well served by a strong domestic manufacturing base until skynet takes over, IMO.  

That said I have some major problems with blanket anti- globalist sentiment.  The world is so interconnected now that we legitimately need a sense of global shared responsibility in many areas.  The most obvious example for me is that envieonmental issues don’t recognize international borders and its painful to me to see the US lead the charge in the wrong direction by refusing to even pay lip service to the idea that there might be a problem and that global cooperation is the only way to mitigate it.  

There’s also a general disdain for NATO and the UN, mainly stemming from perceived unfairness in the feeling that the US taxpayer inordinately foots the bill.  I get the gripe, particularly with regard to NATO, and past presidents have as well -  but post WW2 organizations set up to help prevent WW3 shouldn’t be dismissed out of hand and I do see that in not-hard-to-find corners of the internet.  Its not entirely by chance that we have not yet experienced WW3.  Maybe we are just far enough removed from the Cold War that people have forgotten that it’s not at all out of the realm of possibility that none of us survive a WW3.  The nuclear threat has never gone away it’s just out of the headlines.

Sometimes I don’t think people really consider the genuinely existential threat presented by simply tossing aside ‘globalist’ attitudes because it has created discomfort in certain sectors and is politically unpopular at the moment.  I mean, yea I’d like to see droves of jobs that used to be done here come back and come back at a fair wage, but I also don’t want my family to be vaporized in a nuclear exchange because a new wave of nationalism caused a breakdown of the post WW2 order.

We should put our own country first when it makes sense to do that, and it often does.  But there are several areas where it really needs to be Earth First and not because of some hippy bullshit but because that is genuinely in the best interest of all humans.  I hate that I often see the word ‘globalist’ tossed around as pejorative term, as though we were calling someone a thief, or a coward, or an asshole.  Strikes me as not having really thought it through, or of underestimating the damage that was done in the pre-nuclear age by rampant nationalism.  The stakes are too high now and that’s simple reality.  We cannot afford to backslide very far in this regard.  

3 hours ago, Frog Eater said:

Which should be the standard answer given to American corporations and military throughout the world.

Nationalism cuts both way. But ever since the Monroe doctrine at least, American nationalism has really been a cover for American imperialism.

Which is why immigration is such a sticky issue. You can't plunder countries for centuries and then close your borders to people trying to flee poverty there. If the US wants to close its border to Latino immigration like Europe to African immigration, they should begin by i) erasing all illegal debt the countries have, ii) instoring actually fair trade rules, and iii) stop supporting autocratic/neo-liberal governments.
If you want to be a nationalist you need to respect other people's nations. Otherwise you're either a hypocrit or a moron.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I would have thought most USA-ians would eventually admit to being that, they just would want to put "white" in front of it. It's just strong patriotism with a healthy dose of superiority. Very well cultivated in the minds of the citizens during the cold war. "I fuckin' love my country" + "my country is the greatest country in the world!" = nationalism. That's definitely a both sides thing.

Yeah, as usual American nationalism is underestimated. It's like everyone conveniently forgets that stuff like the pledge of allegiance or hanging the stars'n'stripes everywhere are oddities for a developed country. And don't get me started on the myths. Anyway, Trump isn't just a nationalist, he's an ultra-nationalist and an ethno-nationalist, which is far scarier.

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

Orwell wasn't wrong, but he lived more than half a century ago. There are still some elements of that quote present in what people mean by nationalism now, but today it is mainly used to signal opposition to the globalists (i.e. to outsourcing American jobs to people who will do them for wages Americans cannot possibly live on and the rest of the causes for the end of real wage growth).

Bullshit.

30 minutes ago, S John said:

We should put our own country first when it makes sense to do that, and it often does.  But there are several areas where it really needs to be Earth First and not because of some hippy bullshit but because that is genuinely in the best interest of all humans.  I hate that I often see the word ‘globalist’ tossed around as pejorative term, as though we were calling someone a thief, or a coward, or an asshole.  Strikes me as not having really thought it through, or of underestimating the damage that was done in the pre-nuclear age by rampant nationalism.  The stakes are too high now and that’s simple reality.  We cannot afford to backslide very far in this regard.  

Well said.  Imma go listen to Dead now and conjure some of that hippy bullshit.

3 hours ago, Frog Eater said:

Religion says your approach is a one way ticket to hell for your soul, so congratulations? You sound enthusiastic in celebrating your own evil, so enjoy yourself glorying in the misery and harm you so gleefully inflict upon the innocent and desperate.

Archived