Marvel Netflix

RumHam

On 1/22/2019 at 9:45 AM, Caligula_K3 said:

I've been rewatching Daredevil season 1. It and JJ season 1 are really just so far ahead of anything else Marvel Netflix has produced since then, even though I liked DD Season 3 and JJ season 2. What strikes me most is that Fisk is a much more interesting character and villain when he's not all powerful, when he faces setbacks too, and when he is torn between competing impulses.

Agreed. I think JJS1 is probably the best single season Marvel/Netflix has put out. I hope S3 will be a third act worthy of her first season. Since it's all but written S3 will be the show's final season, I'm  hoping they bring in Luke cage and give his character some much needed closure. Jessica could help redeem him and pull him out of his "kingpin" phase and back to a hero. In the comics Jessica winds up having Luke's kid, and that could be a decent ending for these iterations of these two characters on Netflix.

2 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Agreed. I think JJS1 is probably the best single season Marvel/Netflix has put out. I hope S3 will be a third act worthy of her first season. Since it's all but written S3 will be the show's final season, I'm  hoping they bring in Luke cage and give his character some much needed closure. Jessica could help redeem him and pull him out of his "kingpin" phase and back to a hero. In the comics Jessica winds up having Luke's kid, and that could be a decent ending for these iterations of these two characters on Netflix.

Problem is season 3 was almost finished filming (or had) before it was clear Netflix were canceling all their marvel shows. So they can't course correct for a final season.

7 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I think Daredevil S1 and S3 were both better than Jessica Jones S1, but I would rank JJS1 just after those two.  Haven't finished Punisher S2 yet or watched Iron Fist S2 at all, although I doubt either will knock off any of my top three.

12 hours ago, red snow said:

Problem is season 3 was almost finished filming (or had) before it was clear Netflix were canceling all their marvel shows. So they can't course correct for a final season.

Granted, it would be difficult for JJS3 to have changed story points during production, but it is far from impossible. It's also possible (if unlikely) Luke was written in to S3 from the get-go. However, I doubt JJS3 will bring any real sense of closure to Luke Cage's character from S2 of his show. Maybe he gets a cameo episode like Iron Fist did in S2 of Luke Cage. 

7 hours ago, briantw said:

I think Daredevil S1 and S3 were both better than Jessica Jones S1, but I would rank JJS1 just after those two.  Haven't finished Punisher S2 yet or watched Iron Fist S2 at all, although I doubt either will knock off any of my top three.

Yeah, if I went back and re-watched DDS1&2 in their entirety (Ain't nobody got time for that.) I might put them above JJS1, but it's not likely. The fact that JJS1 "went there" with Jessica's origin's and had a legit supervillain and not just a really good "bad guy" also helped. Plus I'm pretty sure this season is the only Netflix show that ever directly linked to the MCU proper in S1E4 "AKA 99 Friends." I mean, there were other one line references in other shows, but this episode had a specific plot point addressing the fallout from Avengers. Ah, the good ol' days when fans thought the MCU and Netflix characters might actually inhabit the same "universe." 

I also skipped Iron Fist S2, but I'm near the end of Punisher S2 now. It's sadly suffering from what most of the Netflix Marvel shows suffer from--bloated mediocrity. I'm on E9 and he literally just became the Punisher. Missing the mark has been standard for the majority of Marvel shows on Netflix (DDS1-3 & JJS1 being the exceptions). It's a shame the Marvel Netflix-verse didn't have more cohesion and  clear plan for these characters laid out. If there had been a Kevin Feige for the Marvel Netflix-verse I think these shows would've all easily gone into five or six seasons. Maybe Disney will learn and get it right with Disney+.

2 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Yeah, if I went back and re-watched DDS1&2 in their entirety (Ain't nobody got time for that.) I might put them above JJS1, but it's not likely. The fact that JJS1 "went there" with Jessica's origin's and had a legit supervillain and not just a really good "bad guy" also helped. Plus I'm pretty sure this season is the only Netflix show that ever directly linked to the MCU proper in S1E4 "AKA 99 Friends." I mean, there were other one line references in other shows, but this episode had a specific plot point addressing the fallout from Avengers. Ah, the good ol' days when fans thought the MCU and Netflix characters might actually inhabit the same "universe." 

I also skipped IF S2, but I'm near the end of Punisher S2 now. It's suffering from what most of the Netflix Marvel shows suffer from--bloated mediocrity. I'm on E9 and he literally just became the Punisher. Missing the mark has been standard for the majority of Marvel shows on Netflix (DDS1-3 & JJS1 being the exceptions). It's a shame the Marvel Netflix-verse didn't have more cohesion and  clear plan for these characters laid out. If there had been a Kevin Feige for the Marvel Netflix-verse I think these shows would've all easily gone into five or six seasons. Maybe Disney will learn and get it right with Disney+.

I should note that Daredevil has long been one of my favorite comic characters as a result of the runs by Miller and Bendis, so seeing him done justice definitely played a part in my high opinion of seasons one and three.  Season two was more of a mixed bag, although still better than most of the other Marvel shows.

3 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Has Marvel cancelled Punisher yet? 

No, but they will. They seem to do it about a month after the release, I guess to not depress the first month's viewing.

46 minutes ago, Ran said:

No, but they will. They seem to do it about a month after the release, I guess to not depress the first month's viewing.

Didn't they cancel Luke Cage the day after the second season dropped?  

5 hours ago, briantw said:

I should note that Daredevil has long been one of my favorite comic characters as a result of the runs by Miller and Bendis, so seeing him done justice definitely played a part in my high opinion of seasons one and three.  Season two was more of a mixed bag, although still better than most of the other Marvel shows.

Punisher/Frank Castle is one of my favorite characters, and seeing him finally done justice on screen in DDS2 is what keeps that season in the top spot for me. However, as a fan of the Bendis & Miller runs in the comics, I can see how a hardcore DD fan would put S3 above S2. I mean, outside of him putting on a yellow jumpsuit and his dad's boxing trunks in the finale, DDS3 was about as good a DD yarn on TV as you can hope to get.

8 hours ago, briantw said:

Didn't they cancel Luke Cage the day after the second season dropped?  

Nope. Released in June, cancelled in October. Daredevil released in October, cancelled November. So I expect February or March for Punisher 

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Has Marvel cancelled Punisher yet? 

Back in November i imagine but it isn't official yet. I think there's as much chance of batman becoming part of the MCU as there is netflix doing a season 3 of punisher.

If marvel/Netflix weren't so keen to burn the franchise (and viewers) they'd have given us a final season of defenders to wrap up the cliffhangers/story threads left dangling in the shows. A bit like they did with sense8. 

• 4 months later...

Jessica Jones will soon close her final case (at least on Netflix).

The third and final season of Marvel’s Jessica Jones will premiere June 14, the streaming giant announced Tuesday, marking the conclusion of this tiny, MCU-adjacent, street-level universe. In the past year, Netflix also canceled Marvel’s Daredevil, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, and The Punisher.

In season 3, Krysten Ritter’s hard-drinking, super-powered private investigator will go up against a highly intelligent psychopath, which is teased in the above date announcement video that features a creepy voice calling Jessica a fraud. 

See the first look at the final season of Marvel's Jessica Jones

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/28/marvels-jessica-jones-season-3-premiere-date-netflix/

Looking forward to this final entry in the Marvel Netflix universe. The concept for Marvel Netflix was brilliant, the execution too inconsistent. Over all I'd give the totality of it a 6/10. I liked more of it than I disliked.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived